Are you a COLLECTOR, or are you a GAMER?

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
Pichu
128-bit

Re: Are you a COLLECTOR, or are you a GAMER?

Post by Pichu »

dtrack wrote:if you are a gamer then you only need a computer due to emulators. so if you into buying snes carts and saying you are not a collector that's basically saying you don't have enough money to be a "real" collector. lets face it.

Elaborate.
harper
Next-Gen

Post by harper »

Pichu wrote:
dtrack wrote:if you are a gamer then you only need a computer due to emulators. so if you into buying snes carts and saying you are not a collector that's basically saying you don't have enough money to be a "real" collector. lets face it.

Elaborate.

Oh I get it now, I must have read it weird the first time or something. Basically he's saying if you're not rich enough to buy every game ever that means you're not a real collector.
GameMasterGuy
Next-Gen

Post by GameMasterGuy »

harper wrote:
Pichu wrote:

Elaborate.

Oh I get it now, I must have read it weird the first time or something. Basically he's saying if you're not rich enough to buy every game ever that means you're not a real collector.

No, I think he's saying that REAL collectors spend money on expensive PCs so that they can properly emulate any game they want.
Is that a 3DS XL in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me? ~ZeroAX
sabrage
Next-Gen

Post by sabrage »

But of course! Somehow, simultaneously, the only way to be a "real collector" or a "real gamer" is to pirate!
DinnerX
Next-Gen

Post by DinnerX »

I'd say I'm confused, but I don't want to be redundant and repeat what has already been said.
Since this signature affects old posts, I'm leaving a message here in case anyone searches for my username. This account died in early 2013. I am no longer a fundamentalist.

Don't add to my problems by pretending my past views are still held in the present. I do not have any patience for that. Feel free to ask me what I think now.
GameMasterGuy
Next-Gen

Post by GameMasterGuy »

sabrage wrote:But of course! Somehow, simultaneously, the only way to be a "real collector" or a "real gamer" is to pirate!

I'm sure that BusomJack's collection would be better than all of our's despite our best efforts.
Is that a 3DS XL in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me? ~ZeroAX
harper
Next-Gen

Post by harper »

GameMasterGuy wrote:No, I think he's saying that REAL collectors spend money on expensive PCs so that they can properly emulate any game they want.

Right. I'm just so not a real collector that I never would've guessed the real meaning behind such realness.
Pichu
128-bit

Post by Pichu »

harper wrote:
GameMasterGuy wrote:No, I think he's saying that REAL collectors spend money on expensive PCs so that they can properly emulate any game they want.

Right. I'm just so not a real collector that I never would've guessed the real meaning behind such realness.

Interesting. *Heads to newegg.com* :roll:
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

DTrack is basically saying that those who insist on owning physical carts, but don't consider themselves 'collectors', are basically lying to themselves or something. If they really only wanted to play the games, they'd just buy a fancy PC and emulate.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

AppleQueso wrote:DTrack is basically saying that those who insist on owning physical carts, but don't consider themselves 'collectors', are basically lying to themselves or something. If they really only wanted to play the games, they'd just buy a fancy PC and emulate.

I think that's what he was saying, but I disagree with him. I was buying carts even before I was a collector, simply because I wanted the original experience.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.