Silent Hill HD Collection Thread

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Opa Opa

Re: Silent Hill HD Collection- Good news!... kinda...

Post by Opa Opa »

Stark wrote:Isn't 3 the one with the chick in a vest? I think that is my favorite of the ones I've played.

Yeah, chick in the vest.

Minor character; her name isn't important. :lol:
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Are you saying that my opinion isn't credible because I can't remember her name?

I played each when they came out and not again, so maybe my opinion would be different now. I loved the atmosphere, music, and story in 3.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

Don't get me wrong, 3 is an excellent game! It really comes down to personal taste.

Okay, possible spoilers for SH 2 and 3... maybe 1 as well.

edit: Rambling post warning!
Silent Hill 2 is about the characters themselves; no religious cult subplot (okay, the cult is mentioned but has virtually zero impact on the story...unless you really want one particular ending; but even then the town cult/religion is still very vague)

Silent Hill 3 follows the same religious cult from 1 which I'm not too fond of. However, 3 does a better job of actually explaining WTF is going on. You get the actual back story and an explanation of "This is why this happened"; which is really convenient because all throughout Silent Hill 1 all these weird monsters and events are happening and it makes NO SENSE. All you know is that you just want to get the hell out of Silent Hill and rescue Sheryl.

I just really like plain ol' psychological-horror more than the "bringing the ancient demon out of the abyss into reality" type storyline.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Opa Opa wrote:Don't get me wrong, 3 is an excellent game! It really comes down to personal taste.

Okay, possible spoilers for SH 2 and 3... maybe 1 as well.

edit: Rambling post warning!
Silent Hill 2 is about the characters themselves; no religious cult subplot (okay, the cult is mentioned but has virtually zero impact on the story...unless you really want one particular ending; but even then the town cult/religion is still very vague)

Silent Hill 3 follows the same religious cult from 1 which I'm not too fond of. However, 3 does a better job of actually explaining WTF is going on. You get the actual back story and an explanation of "This is why this happened"; which is really convenient because all throughout Silent Hill 1 all these weird monsters and events are happening and it makes NO SENSE. All you know is that you just want to get the hell out of Silent Hill and rescue Sheryl.

I just really like plain ol' psychological-horror more than the "bringing the ancient demon out of the abyss into reality" type storyline.

I agree with not caring much for the cult thing. For some reason though it seems to pop up and play a huge part in the vast majority of the games in the series though.
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

AppleQueso wrote:
I agree with not caring much for the cult thing. For some reason though it seems to pop up and play a huge part in the vast majority of the games in the series though.

Well, it is kind of the ultimate horror cliché. Don't have anything scary? Make a cult sacrificing to a demon!

But as far as gaming goes, the Silent Hill games are the first (as far as I know) to use the whole evil-cult plotline.

edit: unless the Alone in the Dark games have something to do with cults and demons... I don't know the plotline of that series though.
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

noiseredux wrote:after listening to the recent Silent Hill episode of Retronauts

Finished the episode.

Pretty good info. A lot of spoilers were given but you should have played the games (at least 1 through 4) by now; there's just no excuse. A great game series that shouldn't be ignored by horror game aficionados.
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

Japanese boxart isn't much better... but still a little easier on the eyes than the US/UK boxart.
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

brunoafh wrote:Japanese boxart isn't much better... but still a little easier on the eyes than the US/UK boxart.

I wish we were getting that artwork.
AppleQueso

Re: Silent Hill HD Collection Thread

Post by AppleQueso »

I'm fine with our box art and am not offended or bothered by it in any way.

I was fine with the box art for the SOTC HD collection too.
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Re: Silent Hill HD Collection Thread

Post by brunoafh »

AppleQueso wrote:I was fine with the box art for the SOTC HD collection too.

In what way is that comparable to box art for this? The box art for the SOTC collection was an awesome flip cover with the original art from both games. What we're getting here is a completely different story.