Guardian Heroes

Brawlers and Beatemups
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Guardian Heroes

Post by alienjesus »

wip3outguy7 wrote:I need an animated gif of Randy M. Green launching 7 or so knights into the stratosphere with a tornado spell. When everyone is at the peak it should freeze and say FOR REAL.

Randy is my favourite character. Gotta love the tornado, lightning rain and GIANT LASER.

The flaming rabbit is awesome too.
SplashChick
64-bit

Post by SplashChick »

Gamerforlife wrote:To be fair, you mention games that came out AFTER Guardian Heroes. It's no secret that Guardian Heroes partially inspired Castle Crashers. Without GH and River City Ranson, there wouldn't BE a Castle Crashers. I love the Golden Knight. He's more useful than AI characters you get in other games like Streets of Rage Remake and Final Fight 3. He can't be killed and he has a super powerful attack that can damage everything on screen as I recall.

I feel that there is also more diversity between the playable characters than in many other beat'em ups. The multiple paths are done with more depth than other beat'em ups that feature the same thing and GH was one of the earliest, if not the first beat'em up to do this. Also, few 2D beat'em ups games incorporate magic to the extent that GH does. The only other one I can think of just off the top of my head is Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara. Also, the game has a much heavier anime aestethic than many other beat'em ups.

Personally, I like the game just because of Nicole. I was never any good with the other characters. She plays very differently from any other beat'em up character I can think of and is quirky, unique and funny. If you know how to use her right, she's the strongest character in the game with her DBZ-like energy blast that she can surround herself with and her healing ability

That's true, but for a game that many people STILL hail as "OMG BEST GAME EVERRRRR", shouldn't it be able to hold up to titles that it inspired? I mean, yes, it may have implemented all of these ideas first, but that doesn't mean that they were done well or applied to their best potential. I think the games I listed prove that by utilizing them so much more effectively. I guess what I'm saying is that it may have had the idea first, but we don't herald the Virtual Boy as the crown jewel of gaming because it put 3D on a portable(if you can call it that) 15 years before the now successful 3DS.
I blog about games and art. Usually both at once. Check it out at your own risk.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

like the game, hate the "plane shifting" aspect of the game.
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

SplashChick wrote:That's true, but for a game that many people STILL hail as "OMG BEST GAME EVERRRRR", shouldn't it be able to hold up to titles that it inspired? I mean, yes, it may have implemented all of these ideas first, but that doesn't mean that they were done well or applied to their best potential. I think the games I listed prove that by utilizing them so much more effectively. I guess what I'm saying is that it may have had the idea first, but we don't herald the Virtual Boy as the crown jewel of gaming because it put 3D on a portable(if you can call it that) 15 years before the now successful 3DS.

While I make it no secret that GH is quite possibly my favorite video game ever, I can find plenty of faults. I think its biggest flaw is that most people probably aren't going to like it the first few times they play it. Hell, I didn't get it until 10th or so time playing. Something clicked and I couldn't get enough of it. The ridiculous pixelated graphics made sense, I threw away my "what is right" mentality and started abusing the ever loving shit out of the juggle system. With time, you can easily spot your character in the mayhem and the crowd issue goes away.

Guardian Heroes goes against a lot of beat em' up trends. It is not easy to pick up, there aren't any power ups or potions and there is no roast under the barrel. You are encouraged to abuse your magic... and when the mana runs out, the game demands you beat the snot out of anyone and everyone to get it back. The more stylish you are, the more combos you pull, the more mana you receive. Streets of Rage Remake comes very close to allowing you to use and abuse your specials, but I would argue that it still doesn't quite reach that balance and finesse that this 15 year old Saturn game has.

When it comes to the RPG style leveling system, again GH's downfall is the time requirement. It takes a lot of dedication on the player's part to realize the depth it offers. Randy and Genjuro get absolutely blazing fast if you upgrade their agility. Upgrading physical attacks may be pointless if you take a chance and upgrade your luck, as it may reward you with devastating physical and magical attacks. Upgrade the mental ability of your character and the size and power of your spells could make DBZ characters feel inadequate. But the issue here is time and multiple play-throughs. You don't get to keep anything when you start a new game either and that can be off putting to some.

And we haven't even talked about the battle royal mode yet. This game pre-dates Smash Brothers by about a year... and it still stomps even the most recent offerings in that series, IMO. Everyone should be so lucky to experience an all out Guardian Heroes 6 player, everyone for them self, brawl to the death.

I also have a soft spot for all of the "WTF Japan?" moments the game has:

"That fuckin' guy has a Kung Fu rabbit for a pet... that catches on fire and chases people."

"It's a medieval theme and now we're fighting robots."

"The golden skeleton guy just took my guy's sword and... Wait, he's going to follow us and beat people down for us? He just nuked the screen? What the hell is going on here?"

"Dude, I've been juggling this dead body for like the last 3 mins and I'm gaining experience points for it."

"Disobey the Sky Spirits."

"Old woman VS screen filling dragon thing."

It's this game's seeming randomness that is the very definition of Japanese games of the mid 90s. The story, while nothing award worthy, is a blatant rip-off of hilariously over the top anime such as "The Slayers" that were once so popular, but we will likely never see again.
Last edited by wip3outguy7 on Thu May 05, 2011 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

I seriously need to play this game.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

wip3outguy7 wrote:Video of Guardian Heroes HD! http://uk.gamespot.com/saturn/action/gu ... Btitle%3B1

Time for me to buy another 360.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Yeah I'm getting this.
mugenmidget
32-bit

Post by mugenmidget »

Lookin' bad ass! Can't wait for some 12 player versus madness!
http://twitch.tv/multitapmugen
Live gaming streams, click the URL above to visit our channel!
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

mugenmidget wrote:Lookin' bad ass! Can't wait for some 12 player versus madness!

And thanks goes to you for showing me that video!