noiseredux wrote:Image

Citizen Kane?

yeah.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Anonymous strikes again

Post by dsheinem »

Nintendo:
-Won't allow you to transfer VC or WiiWare titles from console to console, unless you can prove one died. Then you have to send both to them for the transfer to be done at your expense.
-Will remotely brick your Wii if it uses certain softmods and take it online for an official update.
-Requires you to buy point cards in set amounts, regardless of if you only need a small amount of points.

MS
-asks you to pay to play online :roll: Doesn't offer dedicated servers. Multiplayer remains free for everyone else on every other platform.
-RROD problems which are MUCH more widespread then the YLOD. At least MS did the right thing by offering fixes (Sony did not), but given the percentage of failures they pretty much had to.
-removes games from XBLA, not allowing you to re-download if you already paid for the game.

Seriously, where's the rage at this crap? As far as I am concerned each of the major three console makers is equally evil this generation, but Sony seems to get an unfair percentage of the butt-hurt in this forum and elsewhere.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

dsheinem wrote:Seriously, where's the rage at this crap? As far as I am concerned each of the major three console makers is equally evil this generation, but Sony seems to get an unfair percentage of the butt-hurt in this forum and elsewhere.

agree.
SegaBlack
8-bit

Post by SegaBlack »

noiseredux wrote:
Inazuma wrote:And it doesn't matter if you personally use Other OS or not. It's a matter of principal.

a principal he doesn't care about because it doesn't matter to him. To use your own example, it would be like if he bought a Toyota and someone came to his house and said "hey we're taking the ashtray" and he was like "I don't give a shit, I don't smoke. Take it."

People should care because the next time it may be something that matters to them. I would rather stop a problem before it affects me than to wait around for something to happen.

Companies should not have the right to take something away after the purchase. If Toyota asks to take the ashtray, then I'll tell them "That's fine, you can take it" but it is wrong to just take it after making the purchase. Companies should not have that right. It doesn't matter if it is used or not because I paid for it.

However, I do not agree with hacking PSN (if that's what happened) to punish Sony. If Sony's customers are unhappy then they need to punish Sony by boycotting Sony's products in the future. Bringing down PSN may be a nuisance to Sony, but it punishes gamers more.
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

dsheinem, all those things are legal. Unethical perhaps, but legal. Sony is breaking the law, and getting away with it because they have the funding and the connections to out litigate anyone who stands up to them. That's why it's so objectionable, and that's why it's sparked protests/vigilantism depending on your point of view.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
SegaBlack
8-bit

Post by SegaBlack »

noiseredux wrote:
dsheinem wrote:Seriously, where's the rage at this crap? As far as I am concerned each of the major three console makers is equally evil this generation, but Sony seems to get an unfair percentage of the butt-hurt in this forum and elsewhere.

agree.

x3

Sony is not alone and it's definitely not just in this industry. It is rampant...
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

Post by gtmtnbiker »

dsheinem wrote:Nintendo:
-Will remotely brick your Wii if it uses certain softmods and take it online for an official update.

Huh? This is the first I ever heard of this. I don't think Nintendo intentionally tries to brick your Wii. It's possible that an update fails because of the way softmods were applied.
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

gtmtnbiker wrote:
dsheinem wrote:Nintendo:

Huh? This is the first I ever heard of this. I don't think Nintendo intentionally tries to brick your Wii. It's possible that an update fails because of the way softmods were applied.

That's the intention though.

Edit:
Well now that I think about it some updates are to increase capabilities of the system. They're not entirely meant to brick unauthorized uses of consoles.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Hatta wrote:dsheinem, all those things are legal. Unethical perhaps, but legal. Sony is breaking the law

What law has Sony broken? I've made the case many times in these redundant fucking threads that all of this discussion is a big circle jerk until someone who knows something about consumer law (beyond what they learn by googling) steps in and explains things. I am pretty sure that removing games from XBLA or denying you access to redownload WiiWare titles is just as "illegal" as taking away Other OS.