Radio Shack is closing (most of their stores)

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Re: I HATE Radio Shack

Post by o.pwuaioc »

MrPopo wrote:How exactly do you not qualify for a retail job if you have a pulse and are at least 16?

Too many applicants, too little openings. Also, you can "overqualify".
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

WallCrusher wrote:I tried applying at the Radio Shack down the road from where I live, since they were hiring. Apparently, however, Radio Shack's system causes all applicants to go through some sort of "master system" where it determines whether or not you qualify and then sends those applications to the respective branches.

I didn't qualify, so the branch I applied to never even got to look at my application. To say the very least, I was irritated by what seems to me is a very cumbering system.

I say you lucked out.
KDub
Next-Gen

Post by KDub »

Yeah a lot of companies and chain stores have that kind of system. You have to go through one or two check points before you get an interview in the actual store. It was a rather frustrating realization when I was looking for a job in a massively failing economy after college 2 years ago.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

o.pwuaioc wrote:
MrPopo wrote:How exactly do you not qualify for a retail job if you have a pulse and are at least 16?

Too many applicants, too little openings. Also, you can "overqualify".

This really hurt me when I got out of college and continues to plague my girlfriend when she applies for jobs. It's a real pain in the ass. It seems like the only people who can get a non-professional job these days have to be one click higher than mouth breather and five clicks lower than educated.
pakopako
Next-Gen

Post by pakopako »

Gunstar Green wrote:This really hurt me when I got out of college and continues to plague my girlfriend when she applies for jobs. It's a real pain in the ass. It seems like the only people who can get a non-professional job these days have to be one click higher than mouth breather and five clicks lower than educated.

I cannot help but laugh. :lol:
Then cry. :|

It's all about lying to each individual. You need a mouth-breather? Omit part of your history and pretend to be one. You need five years of experience in a field that's only a year old? Perfect, thanks to my DeLorean, I have that! (Seriously, Apple did pull this last year.) Everybody in the field is lying to you. You can either curl up in a ball, pulling your hair out, or you can go out the door, smile your ***-eating grin, and lie right back.

Although I shouldn't be one to speak; I'm still working on the latter. :roll:
My scheduling skills have died of dysentery; I hope to visit at least on a monthly basis.
Still, don't forget to tip your waitress.
Ziggy

Re: Radio Shack is closing (most of their stores)

Post by Ziggy »

First post edited.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

slowslow325 wrote:My problem is, I'll be building a robot or something and I ordered a whole bunch of stuff that I needed off of one or two online websites all at once to keep the shipping down. Then after I get all the stuff and start putting it together, I'll realize that I forgot to put something small into my online cart. So, instead of paying the like 3 bucks for shipping and having to wait for it, I go to radioshack. I pull out the little drawers that have all the components in them and try to look for the component while having an employee watch over me like a hawk, but that's not even the worst part, they keep asking me questions about what I want so they can help me find it, however, I would find it just fine if they would just shut up. So after I look up and down for the product I realize that they don't have it. So I buy like 3 other products that I can combine together in a way that wastes my time and makes my project more messy to get the equivalent of the component I wanted. So after buying these products I will realize that I just paid way more than I would for just buying the component online and paying shipping -_-

:lol:

I just read this post again. Yeah, that totally sums up most of the times I've been in a Radio Shack.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I picked up a few things yesterday in our local one. It sucks that they're closing, the guy that runs our store is awesome and actually knows his stuff about electronics. His particular interest is restoring old stereo equipment, and I've seen his work. It's good stuff.

Anyway, I snagged:

VGA-to-HDMI converter - $12
HDMI-to-Component converter - $8
Micro-B-to-USB cable + charger - $7
SPST switch - $1

I tested the VGA converter, and surprisingly the lag was very low to unnoticeable. It'll be good enough to hook up my cheap VGA box to my 4K TV in a pinch, and also cover Dreamcast with the VGA box there.

The HDMI-component converter was just in case I run out of HDMI ports, and if I get something to record component with for videos in the future.

Needed a new cable for one of my external hard drives, I think the cable was the issue with it. I basically get a phone charger out of the deal as well.

The switch is probably going to be used when I go back into my NES and disable the lockout chip. I've heard there is the occasional game that doesn't work if it's not present.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I found they're closing the last one in the state (1mi up the road from me) next Monday. I was in and I ended up spending $5 on a tempered glass panel for my iphone5s(retail $30), also got a $20 2port rca switcher box for $4 (so now I have my SNES+NES hooked up on the tv again!), and also got 4 sets of 4 AA batteries for around $5 (B1G1 deal + discount.)

Sad they're going away, and I don't see their plan working either being online only because they're so much more expensive than what you can get almost anywhere else. Point of sale space was what made them stand out, tangible convenience.

Word had it from the guy in the store, 2 of them in the county are franchisee and will keep the name and stores open and they're not too far away if I needed to go by for something at least.
Joinjoina01

Post by Joinjoina01 »

radio shack is gone. even when it is for sale, their items are still overpriced