☠ Souls Series Symposium ☠

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else

Your opinion of the Souls series?

I don't like these games because they are too hard.
No votes
I don't like these games because of another reason.
3%
I hate this series!
3%
I think these games are decent, just decent.
9%
I like these games primarily because they are challenging.
17%
I like these games because of another reason.
17%
I love this series!
23%
I've never played any of these games, but I'd like to.
20%
I've never played any of these games, and I never will.
9%

Total votes: 35

Melek-Ric
32-bit

Re: ☠ Souls Series Symposium ☠

Post by Melek-Ric »

Xeogred wrote:
Melek-Ric wrote:I'm looking forward to 1080p/60fps on console in Blighttown.

Blighttown still sucks!

My biggest issue with the area was its performance. I actually like its design and the descent into the swamp. Very memorable.
"Challenging my unit was both foolish and reckless! You are nothing more than my prey... one that is soon to be retired!"
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I never played them because of a mix of I didn't want it on a console being stuck to the TV, and because of the nasty difficulty may be an issue too. I wanted it either on a handheld device or maybe my computer as in both cases it would be faster to fire up and easily shut down if it's turning into an angry moment. I know it hit PC but I had ignored it because backlog, but since I keep a handheld and a console/computer pool of stuff to do I feel better about approaching it on Switch than anything else.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Been replaying DS1 after beating Bloodborne and got the Souls itch. Dabbling with socery this time, remaking my first Demon's build. Having mixed results. Bosses are much easier as a lot are obviously based around engaging melee players. Normal enemies are more of a chore though, can't just chop through them all with my Uchi.

Will be nice to play the remaster in 60fps. Blightown is pretty much broken in places, the team must've really loved it to pass q&a. :lol: I also kind if hope they do some small alterations, fix a few bugs and maybe change the placement or firing rate of those twat archers in Anor Londo. Bastards.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I've said it before, but it still strikes me as interesting... I've played about an hour or two of Dark Souls, and maybe half an hour of DS2. I got frustrated with each and rage-quit. And yet there's something so fascinating about the series in general, that I always feel the need to read whatever gets posted in this thread. It's as if the series is always on the backburner for me as games I feel like I *will* like... someday.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

noiseredux wrote:I've said it before, but it still strikes me as interesting... I've played about an hour or two of Dark Souls, and maybe half an hour of DS2. I got frustrated with each and rage-quit. And yet there's something so fascinating about the series in general, that I always feel the need to read whatever gets posted in this thread. It's as if the series is always on the backburner for me as games I feel like I *will* like... someday.

This is the experience I had at first too, although I started with Demon's Souls and I didn't "rage quit", I just thought you know, this isn't for me. I did this with DeS, DS, and DS2. Throughout this all my buddy (Phades on the forums) would always say this was one of his favorite series. Finally, a couple of years after DS2 was released, when I was staying at the Ronald McDonald House with my girls, I decided to bring the PS3 out there so the kids could watch blu-rays and I rented DS2 from GameFly and that's the only game I took with me and it finally clicked. They really are like no other game, the systems and deep lore are fascinating. Since finally getting into DS2, I've gone back and played and beaten DS a couple of times, played through a good section of DeS. I've also beaten DS3 and Bloodbourne and I am waiting with anticipation for the next game From Software does.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

noiseredux wrote:I've said it before, but it still strikes me as interesting... I've played about an hour or two of Dark Souls, and maybe half an hour of DS2. I got frustrated with each and rage-quit. And yet there's something so fascinating about the series in general, that I always feel the need to read whatever gets posted in this thread. It's as if the series is always on the backburner for me as games I feel like I *will* like... someday.

I've heard this experience from a lot of people who the game later clicked with so it's possible.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I see there being two major components to the Soulsborne experience. The first is the combat and difficulty; I feel that the game is designed to be tough but fair, and as you get better each area is less scary from the perspective of dealing with threats. You learn how to progress through the world in a safe manner and how to take advantage of enemy weaknesses. Which is not to say there aren't gotchas sometimes at new enemies, but you should be able to at least compensate for them and avoid getting one shotted if you proceed in the proper manner. The second is the narrative structure, which builds on top of the gameplay foundation. The cautious nature of play naturally gets you in a certain mindset, and the environmental and story narrative builds on top of that mindset. Careful level design helps emphasize that unease when you come to a new area, and the enemy placement reinforces that. Adding to that is where you find items and item descriptions. It leads to this total package of making your way through a mysterious and dangerous world that can be overcome with your wits if you keep them about you.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

DS2 is heavy on the "gotcha" moments.

In the other games most traps are avoidable if you're paying careful attention to your surroundings but 2 had several areas that just went, "lol screw you for existing."
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

"It turned out they used HTTP, rather than HTTPS". And then people wonder why there are data breaches.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.