☠ Souls Series Symposium ☠

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else

Your opinion of the Souls series?

I don't like these games because they are too hard.
No votes
I don't like these games because of another reason.
3%
I hate this series!
3%
I think these games are decent, just decent.
9%
I like these games primarily because they are challenging.
17%
I like these games because of another reason.
17%
I love this series!
23%
I've never played any of these games, but I'd like to.
20%
I've never played any of these games, and I never will.
9%

Total votes: 35

Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: ☠ Souls Series Symposium ☠

Post by Xeogred »

Already sunk in another 2 hours on a new mage character and it's a blast. Absolutely destroyed the Bell Gargoyles with Heavy Soul Arrow on my first try. I started with the Master Key and got the Crimson set pretty early. I've been researching around and some people don't even touch VIT and leave it at 8, haha. Not sure I can fully do that, having low VIT and END is going to be the big challenge for me. And I also see some debates on how worthwhile DEX actually is for casting speed. But at the same time I'd like to use some rapiers with this build, then infuse them with magic/enchantment to get the INT scaling. For now though I'm using the Tin Banishment Catalyst which has a good R2 poke attack and A scaling in INT. I almost have 30 something INT already and yeah, it's easy to see maximum results from this stat early on in the game compared to other builds. Can't wait to get crystal spells. Still not sure what the best end game catalyst is though, hmmm...
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

If you go pure caster, then you don't need to do much with END since casting doesn't use stamina in DS1. What I did a lot is set multiple of low/mid tier for roaming around, and swapped in the big stuff for bosses. Can give you decent endurance to go exploring, though always limited.

At your current INT level, you'd do better with Sorcerer's Catalyst - at 41+ Logan's becomes better (more or less, plan to do Archives early to round out his storyline, and doing DLC early for dark spells is nice too).

The situational ones are Tin Crystalization (also from Logan) and Manus, both of which do more damage at the cost of halving cast number - Manus for Dark sorcery due to STR scaling as well. They make more sense when setting up for a boss, stacking with Red Tearstone Ring and Power Within that you probably won't run around with active.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Started my Bloodborne quest because I couldn't contain myself and have gotten past the first boss.

Damn I was surprised at how out of my element I was, in a good way. Not having that trusty shield as an option really does change everything and playing defensively gets you smacked down in no time. Not being able to level up and not knowing why was kind of a cruel trick but it made those early runs so terrifying. I don't remember being this scared playing one of these games since the first Dark Souls.

Once I was able to level and got some semblance of gear things started going more smoothly and I offed the Cleric Beast in one shot as he's just the classic "get all up in their butt" style boss that most first bosses are.

I was also surprised at the lack of a real tutorial area, they just throw you right to the dogs (literally and figuratively). DS1's Undead Asylum was an extremely memorable moment for me but I liked the way they handled things here as well.

I'm going for a skill build because I want to be fast and furious for this game and I tend to gravitate towards GIANT SWORDS in Dark Souls so I want to do something different. Damn guys, for a starter weapon the threaded cane is really freakin' cool.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Tons of people seem to have trouble with the next boss, but I didn't. I got through most of the bosses pretty easily to be honest, they were all really cool though. The Ludwig Holyblade was my favorite weapon throughout the entire game, the base form is like a big straight sword (Dark Sword sized) and the second form is an ultra greatsword. But the DLC brings in the Moonlight Greatsword and some other really cool weapons. You don't need to worry about equip weight or anything here, "fast and furious" is Bloodborne's middle name no matter what weapon you're using hehe.

That "ding" for charge attacks is so satisfying!
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I went with the Threaded Cane in whip mode 100% of the time for that Castlevania experience. I suppose it wasn't 100%; I'd switch to regular for enemies I knew I could easily counter and front stab, or back stab.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

You don't need to worry about equip weight or anything here, "fast and furious" is Bloodborne's middle name no matter what weapon you're using hehe.

Yeah I'm really digging the streamlining here. Though I'm fine with weight and such in a game with suits of armor the focus on action elements appeals to me and works better for this setting. Like I said before one of the things that annoyed me about DS2 at first was adding the agility stat in an attempt to tilt things more in the RPG direction.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

You'll notice on my DS2 Scholar character on the last page, my ADP was 13. lol, I've never totally seen the fuss about agility in DS2... granted maybe it's why I apparently had a harder time in the DLC than you did. Interesting to think about.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Xeogred wrote:You'll notice on my DS2 Scholar character on the last page, my ADP was 13. lol, I've never totally seen the fuss about agility in DS2... granted maybe it's why I apparently had a harder time in the DLC than you did. Interesting to think about.

It really made a world of difference. I was really frustrated at the beginning of the game when other enemies, and most noticeably for me the Pursuer, was tagging me in ways that would have been impossible in the other games but by the end if you level ADP for agility it's arguably better than the rolls in the other games as the entire roll animation basically becomes i-framed.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

What did you cap your ADP stat at?
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I don't remember what my ADP was exactly but high enough to get my agility to 100. I invested more into ADP to get it to 110 since I ran out of things I really needed to invest in during the DLC. Apparently 110 is the hard cap for additional i-frames.