I'm not sure I like the Sega CD

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: I'm not sure I like the Sega CD

Post by Sarge »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I like the Sega CD but the game library is vastly inferior to what you'll find on the regular ass Genesis. Contrast this to this TurboGrafx CD, which had a better set of games than the vanilla TG16.

Probably true. There are only a few real standout titles on the Sega CD...

I agree that the RPGs aren't as great as they appear at first glance. The Lunar games are quaint and adorable but the gameplay doesn't hold up.

...and while Silver Star is as you say, Eternal Blue is right up there with some of the best RPGs of the era. I absolutely loved that game, and I find it better overall than the PSX port as well.

There were a lot of games that were basically the Genesis version with CD audio, because devs didn't really know what to do with all the storage space. But poke around, you'll find some unique stuff you can't get anywhere else.

Also, it had Snatcher. That alone justifies the system's existence. :)
Anayo
Next-Gen

Post by Anayo »

Sarge wrote:
Also, it had Snatcher. That alone justifies the system's existence. :)

Yeah, I agree with that statement. I need to sit down and finish it.
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Post by Violent By Design »

I've played three Sega CD games that I can recall

Sonic CD - Wasn't good, I don't get why people like this game. The spin dash is totally ruined, the levels all look the same, and the enemies are pretty much non existent. The stage design is just really bland, and I don't get what the time mechanic really adds to the game (it hardly explores that aspect at all).

Spiderman vs The Kingpin - The beat em up style controls were really limited, and the range of Spideys attacks are just off. The exploration aspects weren't really interesting, it's not like there are legit puzzles or anything like that. The voice acting and cut scenes are laughably bad, but the music might be even worse.

Snatcher - Got nothing bad to say about this. Really impressive story telling and voice acting for its time, this is a really good game.

So really Snatcher is the only good game I've played out of three. I have played Lunar, but the PSX version -which seems a lot better than the Sega CD one.

Can someone tell me why Eternal Blue is so good on the Sega CD? Is the battle system better than the Silverstar story?
Anayo
Next-Gen

Post by Anayo »

Violent By Design wrote:I've played three Sega CD games that I can recall

Sonic CD - Wasn't good, I don't get why people like this game. The spin dash is totally ruined, the levels all look the same, and the enemies are pretty much non existent. The stage design is just really bland, and I don't get what the time mechanic really adds to the game (it hardly explores that aspect at all).

Amen! My friend bought me this game through Steam. I love the Sega Genesis Sonics, but this one felt like a chore to play.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Some people really love Final Fight, due to it not quite sucking the same way the SNES version did.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
goldenband

Post by goldenband »

I fired up my Sega CD tonight for the first time in a while. It's a transitional console, and one that's mainly going to be interesting to people who enjoy investigating the weird corners of early-1990s gaming. I can't argue that it's a must-have, but I do like it for what it is.

That said, the Sega CD really needed more titles with high-quality sprite scaling -- I think we could have seen a lot more of that than we did, especially ports of Sega's arcade titles. I've played AH-3 Thunderstrike a fair bit and it looks very impressive for the time, but the gameplay is meh at best.

There are also some multiplatform games whose best version is on Sega CD, or so I'm told by knowledgeable sources, like Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure and B.C. Racers. OTOH the port of Out of This World is pretty sketchy, and the Heart of the Alien companion game was a big disappointment to me.

Personally I've had the most fun with FMV games like Wirehead, Panic, and Fahrenheit. I enjoyed Iron Helix too -- the action is very deliberate, but it's very rewarding to figure out. Right now my wife and I are working on Dracula Unleashed, and we'll probably get back to Jurassic Park after that. We got totally stuck in Sherlock Holmes when we tried it a few years ago.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Violent By Design wrote:Can someone tell me why Eternal Blue is so good on the Sega CD? Is the battle system better than the Silverstar story?

It's a bit more polished, yes. I also think overall, it's better than the PSX version. The main difference between that one and the SCD version is that there are random battles in the SCD, and your move range is more limited in-battle. While overworld battles may sound better, I found myself fighting far more on the PSX version because you can rarely avoid enemies (your "dash" move is very short-term, and only as fast as the enemies are). On top of that, since the move ranges are higher in the PSX version, enemies can go straight for your mages ofttimes in a single turn. It makes formations almost worthless.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

goldenband wrote:we'll probably get back to Jurassic Park after that.

Not that great of a game I'm afraid. I played back in September or October. It's basically a point-and-click adventure game with lots of insta-death. That old point-and-click "logic" is here in true form. I seem to recall that at one point early in the game, you need to pick up a rock, and place it somewhere else, or the dinosaurs will kill you. Why? Because trial and error, that's why.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Is Lunar the series where the bosses and enemies also level up with you, meaning grinding gets you almost nowhere?

I own the PSX port of the first game but that sounds rough.

My Retro Achievements | Games Beaten 2023 & 2024 |
xJAGOx = Xbox Gamertag | Console Mods
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Apparently that's the case with the first game, but not the second. It didn't cause me any issues. It's Eternal Blue you want to play, anyway. ;)