Saturn Convinced?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
strangenova
Next-Gen

Re: Saturn Convinced?

Post by strangenova »

So is there a benefit to getting a legit japanese model saturn vs getting an American one with the action replay 4m cart?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

strangenova wrote:So is there a benefit to getting a legit japanese model saturn vs getting an American one with the action replay 4m cart?

I think the Japanese console would be cheaper. The Action Replay is gonna cost you another $25 or so on top of the price of a console. So if you're not planning to play US games I guess that would make sense.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

flojocabron wrote:I'm so grateful that I completed most of my saturn collecting before the era of ebay!

I cant fathom the amount of money I would have paid now for games that a decade ago I would have seen for less than $5.00!

But that's what happens when scarcity is introduced into a beloved console.

But on another note.......

how much would it cost to ship a saturn over the US mail?

with weight and shipping and insurance?

I need some fyi and thoughts about this....

because I may just have a spare Saturn for an OP if he/she so chooses.

It wont be pretty but it should work.

I just sold off the broken one I got from Amazon to a fellow a state over in Kentucky cost $7.32 to ship 2-day priority(Priority gets $100 insurance included plus it's usually cheaper then standard anyways :roll: ). Altogether a Saturn with controller wrapped up with plenty of bubble wrap and with some shopping bags for padding in a moderately large box weighs around 6 pounds if you want to calculate costs.
marurun

Post by marurun »

The Saturn is my jam. I need to find a 3rd unit and get another mod chip installed. My other two have taken quite a beating. My original Saturn unit had a region switch in it and went to Japan with me back in 1998-1999. It's still ticking, though barely holding together at the seams.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Fragems wrote:I just sold off the broken one I got from Amazon to a fellow a state over in Kentucky cost $7.32 to ship 2-day priority.

If same zone - it can be as low as that - but that isn't a reasonable quote for anything other than someone in your zone.

Example - 6lbs from my home zip (55733) to a zip 10 minutes away (54880) is $10.00 flat:
https://postcalc.usps.com/MailServices. ... 18%2012:00

It happens to be (1) zone away from my home zone, so it goes to the next bracket. Most people you ship to will be 2 or more zones away. For me in the midwest to ship a 6lb box to California is $22.40:
https://postcalc.usps.com/MailServices. ... 18%2012:00
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

that's assuming you put it in a box, though.
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

I medium flat-rate my Saturns (when I sold them). Use to be <$15. Now it's probably $16 or so, isn't it?
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

JoeAwesome wrote:I medium flat-rate my Saturns (when I sold them). Use to be <$15. Now it's probably $16 or so, isn't it?

They tweaked the size on all the flat rates about 2 years ago. A SAT will fit lenght/width still in a MFR, but the depth of the box is super tight - would damage lid now (i'd think). Now, a LFR, maybe - and yeah, those are like $17~.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

With the last rate adjustment earlier this year large flat rate boxes are $18.75 now although if you print online with the commercial discount you can get through paypal it drops to $15.85.
hydraulix
8-bit

Post by hydraulix »

I love my Saturn, not sure what genre you're into, but it's got a solid library for most. Personally I like shmups and RPGs, and there are some good ones you can't find anywhere else. It's a tough system to find cheap these days, but worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk