SRPGs - Where to Start?

Level up here
Ack

Re: SRPGs - Where to Start?

Post by Ack »

Exhuminator wrote:
Ack wrote:Front Mission 3 goes on for slightly too long in my opinion

Certainly it does if you attempt to finish both story lines at once. There's really two games in one with that entry honestly. I still need to go back and play the other half of the story.

Yeah, that was my issue. I never did finish my first run through Front Mission 3(personal reasons), but the whole time I was thinking "I have to go back and do all of this all over again." It would not have needed much, but a little trimming would have gone a long way.

Also, I admit that I am definitely one of those guys who abuses missiles. Everybody gets missiles, and everybody targets the same guy. It sucks to be that guy.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Ack wrote:"I have to go back and do all of this all over again."

Well sort of, both story sides have completely unique missions from what I've read, not to mention different plots and cutscenes. So it's not as repetitive as it might seem at first.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

The missiles are my main issue with those games. Ranged weapons are really bad and broken in the original game especially.

That said I still love them for their story and style. Front Mission 3 is my nostalgic favorite but I agree it starts to drag in parts.

Honestly it's a pretty good SRPG starter series, at least the original and 3 since they're not too complex or difficult. If they're SRPGs that I can play you know they have to be easy. :lol:
marlowe221
Next-Gen

Post by marlowe221 »

Thanks for all the suggestions folks! I'm sure this thread will keep me busy for a long time.

I also found the Agarest series on Steam. I think it started on PS3/360? Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on those games?
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One, Switch

Want: Games!!!
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

marlowe221 wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions folks! I'm sure this thread will keep me busy for a long time.

I also found the Agarest series on Steam. I think it started on PS3/360? Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on those games?

They are mediocre. They fit a niche. I wouldnt say they are good introductions to the genre.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

marlowe221 wrote:I also found the Agarest series on Steam. I think it started on PS3/360? Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on those games?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Avoid avoid avoid. Do not be tempted by the hot anime babes of Gust / Idea Factory / Compile Heart / NIS. A whole lot of those games are crap (there are, admittedly, some exceptions).

Some required reading:
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/kusoge ... garest.htm
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

NIS alone is not too bad, you get things like Disgaea and Soul Nomad. But the others definitely go for the pandering route. You play those games for the cute anime girls and hope there's halfway decent gameplay to carry things along.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
marlowe221
Next-Gen

Post by marlowe221 »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
marlowe221 wrote:I also found the Agarest series on Steam. I think it started on PS3/360? Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on those games?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Avoid avoid avoid. Do not be tempted by the hot anime babes of Gust / Idea Factory / Compile Heart / NIS. A whole lot of those games are crap (there are, admittedly, some exceptions).

Some required reading:

Thanks for the link. I will read that (and NOT buy the Agarest games). I am just always on the lookout for PC games in genres that I am interested in since it is my "current gen" platform of choice.

Also, what does "kusoge" mean? :)
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One, Switch

Want: Games!!!
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

marlowe221 wrote:Also, what does "kusoge" mean? :)

Literally: Shit game.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

marlowe221 wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Some required reading:

Thanks for the link. I will read that (and NOT buy the Agarest games). I am just always on the lookout for PC games in genres that I am interested in since it is my "current gen" platform of choice.

Also, what does "kusoge" mean? :)

Go with Banner Saga, XCOM, Shadowrun, Divinity