The Witcher 3 comes out next year. This series any good?

Level up here
Opa Opa

Re: The Witcher 3 comes out next year. This series any good?

Post by Opa Opa »

I unfortunately don't have a way to play the first two titles so I bought the first book instead. :lol:

I'll at least become familiar with the characters and overall tone of the story/world.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

I would get the first two games. Even the first one. They are fantastic game as noted from other who've posted but they are also quite cheap from GOG. They come with a bunch of stuff too and no DRM.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Opa Opa wrote:I unfortunately don't have a way to play the first two titles so I bought the first book instead. :lol:

I'll at least become familiar with the characters and overall tone of the story/world.

The first game starts after the last story in the books. So you'll still be missing out on the plots.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

I'm hoping this 3rd game makes everything a bit more fleshed out for those who haven't played the previous games. Seeing that I skipped the first game, I was definitely lost at times on the second game.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
MrEco
Next-Gen

Post by MrEco »

So as of this writing, The Witcher 3 should be coming out in roughly 3 days and 19 hours. Bumping this old thread felt like a better idea than starting a new one, hope nobody minds.

So I played the original Witcher about... six months ago, give or take. It's currently one of my favorite PC games and one of my favorite RPG's. I plan on finally getting around to playing The Witcher 2 sometime soon in anticipation for 3, but I've already got my pre-order set down. The discount price on GOG was too good to resist.

To be honest, I am somewhat worried about my PC's ability to play it. When I built my PC a little over a year ago I actually built it with The Witcher 2 in mind, among a few other games, so there's no worry about that one running. But I'm probably gonna have to drop some settings a fare bit to get TW3 running smooth. Bummer. We'll see though.

Anyone else getting it on release? And, unlike me, is anyone actually planning on playing it on release?
I feel old when talking to anyone my age yet too inexperienced to effectively talk to anyone older. Life is grand that way.

My twitter handle is @EckoExplores
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I have an aspirational goal to finish Bloodborne this weekend so when Witcher 3 hits I can focus on it. I'm intentionally holding off on getting into anything deeper.

The one thing I'll warn you is that Witcher 2's combat is pretty intense. You really need to learn the ins and outs if you're going to succeed, especially against one of the bosses near the end of the first act. I've heard Witcher 3's combat is a bit easier to get a handle on.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
MrEco
Next-Gen

Post by MrEco »

MrPopo wrote:I have an aspirational goal to finish Bloodborne this weekend so when Witcher 3 hits I can focus on it. I'm intentionally holding off on getting into anything deeper.

The one thing I'll warn you is that Witcher 2's combat is pretty intense. You really need to learn the ins and outs if you're going to succeed, especially against one of the bosses near the end of the first act. I've heard Witcher 3's combat is a bit easier to get a handle on.

Yeah, I've heard it's very hard, but I've never actually heard anyone say if it's harder or easier than the first game. TW1 was definitely a challenge, but it was never too much for me. I guess I'll see.

Currently I'm actually in the middle of Ocarina of Time. Played it when I was a kid and far too impatient to put up with the puzzles. It's much easier now and I'm actually enjoying it a lot, but with all the hype for TW3 I can't wait to finish it so I can do TW2 next.
I feel old when talking to anyone my age yet too inexperienced to effectively talk to anyone older. Life is grand that way.

My twitter handle is @EckoExplores
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I felt like the first game was hard up until the point you realized group style would massively trash 95% of the fights in the game. Once you learned the timing it was smooth sailing.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

Well, for one, the combat styles between 1 and 2 are completely different. 2 is action oriented, with movement and proper use of abilities being a must. Everybody I've talked to also says that it is very hard to play 2 on M/KB, although I always played with a gamepad, so I wouldn't know.

I'm really, really pumped for Witcher 3, but I don't have anything to play it on. I'd like to grab a PS4 anyways, but I doubt it will happen anytime soon. It will just depend on whether or not I find a job this summer, and how much it pays.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

I've restarted Witcher 2 and I think describing the combat as "intense" is being generous. I just don't think it's a very good combat engine. Everything else is great though.