SNES Beat em ups

Brawlers and Beatemups
Ack

Re: SNES Beat em ups

Post by Ack »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:*looks at SNES collection*

I don't own a single beat em up!

Knights of the Round and King of Dragons are my faves though.

WHAT?!?!?!?
marurun

Post by marurun »

Ack wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:*looks at SNES collection*

I don't own a single beat em up!

Knights of the Round and King of Dragons are my faves though.

WHAT?!?!?!?

I no longer do, either. I divested myself of Rival Turf and Brawl Brothers (I had other gaming priorities at the time). I really need to get some back in there. Super Double Dragon was pretty darn fun.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Don't ask me why, but I'm no fan of Super Double Dragon. It has been the only game I rented, played once, and returned long before it was due back. I guess it didn't feel like the arcade original or even the first & second one on the NES. It just felt so, not-super. (EDIT: Thinking about it more, I know now. The stages were much longer than any DD game or beat em up, the controls were slow and unresponsive, and the hit detection was pathetic.)

But yeah, KOTR. KOD. Definitely. Both are pretty long and have RPG-like elements to "level up" your character and make them ultimately more powerful as you progress. It's a very fresh element.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Well, I just ran through Brawl Brothers, and I'm currently torn between favorite characters. In beat 'em ups, I usually stick to the faster side of things, though I may sometimes venture into the middle-of-the-road fighter, the guy who isn't as fast or as powerful but provides a modicum of both. In Brawl Brothers, Wendy is probably my preferred, as she throws easily and with decent damage, and her running kick is nice. Kazan, I love his triple jump, but he just feels so weak that despite having used him a lot, I just don't care for him. But Hack's special move is my favorite, so I'm having a hard time picking between them. Rarely do I go for the big strongman, so Lord J and Slash just don't fit my play style.

What about you guys? What do you think?
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Ack wrote:Well, I just ran through Brawl Brothers, and I'm currently torn between favorite characters. In beat 'em ups, I usually stick to the faster side of things, though I may sometimes venture into the middle-of-the-road fighter, the guy who isn't as fast or as powerful but provides a modicum of both. In Brawl Brothers, Wendy is probably my preferred, as she throws easily and with decent damage, and her running kick is nice. Kazan, I love his triple jump, but he just feels so weak that despite having used him a lot, I just don't care for him. But Hack's special move is my favorite, so I'm having a hard time picking between them. Rarely do I go for the big strongman, so Lord J and Slash just don't fit my play style.

What about you guys? What do you think?

I too like Wendy if only for her balance of speed and strength. I used to like Kazan but that was only for his flashy special move and the speed. Hack (Norton)'s special move is great as long as there's not someone else to break into it, but when he gets into Angry/Ikari mode, it's useful on the Rooftop stage to clear out enemies fast. Slash (Bild) is strong but slow. I happen to like Lord J. even if he's almost like Slash/Bild, but he does have roughly a bit more speed and a much more effective special which does what it's supposed to do - clear out the enemies that give you trouble and get them out of your way.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Yeah, having just started another run through the game, I'm definitely sticking with Wendy. Her throw abilities are wonderful and her damage isn't bad, even if her mobility isn't quite up there with Kazan's.

I also just discovered a nasty little trick. So if you use the throwing items with the basic attack, they disappear on the first throw. Use L or R, and they last only three throws. However, apparently the health items don't vanish after three throws. At least the medkit that I just carried through half the sewers certainly didn't when I used it to knock down oncoming enemies so I could then run up and stomp them silly while on the ground. Plus, hey, got a medkit for whenever I need it!
marurun

Post by marurun »

This sounds like something you need to post on YouTube. The Invincible Medkit of Death trick.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ack

Post by Ack »

It works for food too, as I just beat a Lead Head to death with a piece of fried chicken!
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

This guy has a cool collection, including some games mentioned in this thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-ktlHiyWWo

Why does the sight of SNES cartridges make me feel like a kid again?
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
irixith
Next-Gen

Post by irixith »

Ack wrote:
irixith wrote:I'm a big fan of the entire SNES Final Fight series. It's one of those games I never experienced elsewhere. I can take any of them and beat them in a single satisfying sitting. TMNT IV is obviously amazing, and I also enjoy the X-Men one as well. I wish I could be Wolverine or Gambit in more games.

Did you ever try Wolverine: Adamantium Rage for the Super Nintendo?

Yessir. Big fan. Poor Wolverine is so under appreciated. So many abilities, so many gameplay possibilities..

..and yes, I was talking about Mutant Apocalypse. So fun! They could have cranked out a few more and I wouldn't have said no. I love me some big sprite beat-em-ups SNES style.