WELL THIS IS INTERESTING.. Retron 5

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
AppleQueso

Re: WELL THIS IS INTERESTING.. Retron 4

Post by AppleQueso »

TheRev wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:
The problem is that the NOACs that these consoles used have pretty much been unchanged since they were first introduced. IIRC, it's still the same chips that were in those old adapters like the Super8 and Tristar.

I've heard and seen good things out of the Super 8 and also that it's quite compatible too.
The only downside is they don't output S-Video

Only thing screwing up the compatibility is the fact that most clone consoles don't bother wiring up the cart slot correctly. The Super 8 still has crummy sound and is all around inferior to just using an NES.
TheRev
128-bit

Post by TheRev »

That saves me some money knowing the super 8/tristar isn't just ugly, it sounds funny too.

I guess my best bet is still just get the original hardware.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Depending on the price, this might be good enough hold out for me until I can get a Retro USB HDMI NES. I just need it to be passable when downgraded to VGA - so crummy sound is ok.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

There's a thread about this on NintendoAge right now:
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messagevie ... adid=97674

BunnyBoy (the owner of RetroUSB and the guy creating that HDMI NES mod) seems to think that this will basically be a low powered computer in a box running everything via software emulation. That'll probably make it far better than any other clone on the market, but personally I don't have any interest in just running my carts on an emulator.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Hmm, well I'm pretty curious to see how this will turn out. It'll be interesting to hear more.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I am curious too...I am certain that it will not perfectly replicate original hardware, but if it is passable and has a good wireless controller, I could see myself picking one up. Also, if the GBA chip/emulator also played GB/GBC games, it would be a definite purchase.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I'm always fascinated by new clone systems, but I rarely wind up buying one. There's always some little detail that bothers me. Either the compatibility is poor, or the sound is irritating, or the controllers stink. There's always something that turns me off. My buddy Joey calls me a "purist" because I don't like the way the Gen-X sounds.

Modding a wii sounds like a better option than any of these.
FerretGamer
Next-Gen

Post by FerretGamer »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I am curious too...I am certain that it will not perfectly replicate original hardware, but if it is passable and has a good wireless controller, I could see myself picking one up. Also, if the GBA chip/emulator also played GB/GBC games, it would be a definite purchase.

I hope it does turn out at least better than the previous attempts. I will give Hyperkin credit as they are constantly trying to improve their products. The nicest thing is obviously saving on space while still being able to use original hardware (controllers.) I'd love to be able to play NES, SNES, Genesis, and GBA all on one console. I'm definitely looking forward to the 23rd.

This is what they have revealed so far:
Exhuminator wrote:Sega gonna Sega.
Maevn

Post by Maevn »

This Retron update looks fuckin' awesome as far as clones go. Some people are always going to prefer playing on the native hardware but this is great for space saving, among other things.

I will be looking forward to more details being revealed at the Midwest Gaming Classic.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Oh god does that controller have an NES MAX style 'circle nub' thing for a d-pad? Why would you do that? :(

"Home" button on there guarantee's this is going to be running off of software emulation. Probably will work better than the chip solutions have so far, but I'm betting it'll be more expensive...