Any tips on "breaking" Xenogears and Chrono Trigger?

Level up here
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Re: Any tips on "breaking" Xenogears and Chrono Trigger?

Post by Jmustang1968 »

Xeogred wrote:Yeah, which some fans seem to complain about, but I always loved the cutscenes.

If you can get a handle of Xenosaga II's battle system, it's not bad. Fairly short though. And yeah, I can't stress enough how amazing Xenosaga III is. Do you own it though? It's gotten a bit expensive.

Ya it is buried in my shelf backlog lol. I thought the cutscenese were well done, just excessive. I think I remember some being longer than 20 min at a time haha. Back in the day when it first came out, I remember thinking the graphics and cut scenes were top notch.
Godot102
64-bit

Post by Godot102 »

Xenosaga 3 has a ton of cutscenes but they are just plain beautiful. Some of the best graphics on a ps2!
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Jmustang1968 wrote:
Xeogred wrote:Yeah, which some fans seem to complain about, but I always loved the cutscenes.

If you can get a handle of Xenosaga II's battle system, it's not bad. Fairly short though. And yeah, I can't stress enough how amazing Xenosaga III is. Do you own it though? It's gotten a bit expensive.

Ya it is buried in my shelf backlog lol. I thought the cutscenese were well done, just excessive. I think I remember some being longer than 20 min at a time haha. Back in the day when it first came out, I remember thinking the graphics and cut scenes were top notch.

I remember one cutscene that had a save break in the middle due to how long it was.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Yancakes
64-bit

Post by Yancakes »

How does the Xenosaga battle system work? I've never looked into the games before because I've never heard anyone say they were worth playing. Are they similar at all to Xenogears? Or do they follow the standards set by more recent RPGs (which I typically hate)?
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Yancakes wrote:How does the Xenosaga battle system work? I've never looked into the games before because I've never heard anyone say they were worth playing. Are they similar at all to Xenogears? Or do they follow the standards set by more recent RPGs (which I typically hate)?

Xenosaga 1 is action point based. It lets you do between two and three attacks per turn, with the third being some kind of special attack based upon your first two. Xenosaga 2 is similar, but removes the special attacks in favor of a break mechanic (use the right sequence of attacks on an enemy and they go into a super vulnerable state, and this is required for some bosses). I don't remember 3's combat system, to be honest. 1 & 2 also include the boost feature, where you can have your character cut in line once you fill up a gauge. This is frequently necessary to exploit the break system in 2.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Well I wrote up a dumb post, but yeah Popo sums it up. It's really just standard JRPG stuff. It's funny I can't even remember Episode III's system exactly either, but it was faster paced and not tedious (II got tedious at times and some battles took forever, or felt like it).

Worth mentioning you can bring in your mech's at anytime in the first game, it had its advantages and disadvantages I want to say. Xenosaga II-III separated these though so it's a bit more like Xenogears.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Xeogred wrote:Worth mentioning you can bring in your mech's at anytime in the first game, it had its advantages and disadvantages I want to say. Xenosaga II-III separated these though so it's a bit more like Xenogears.

They were two very different kinds of mechs. In 1 your mechs were small and mass produced and were generally underwhelming. You couldn't start off in mech mode so the only time you'd use it was the occational boss who had a mech of their own (and one of them you had to fight on foot). In 2-3 your mechs were these unique giant robots like in Xenogears and they used two people at a time. Plus, their combat system was pretty different from the on-foot system, again, like in Xenogears.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Yeah, I think I remember the mech's in the first game were good to use in boss battles just to savor some HP/MP or whatnot.

Anyways Yancakes, if you're not really into JRPG's I wouldn't recommend the Xenosaga games honestly. They are ultra JRPG, if that makes sense, lol. I can only see people really into the genre enjoy them.
skyknight
128-bit

Post by skyknight »

MrPopo wrote:Xenosaga 1 is action point based. It lets you do between two and three attacks per turn, with the third being some kind of special attack based upon your first two. Xenosaga 2 is similar, but removes the special attacks in favor of a break mechanic (use the right sequence of attacks on an enemy and they go into a super vulnerable state, and this is required for some bosses). I don't remember 3's combat system, to be honest. 1 & 2 also include the boost feature, where you can have your character cut in line once you fill up a gauge. This is frequently necessary to exploit the break system in 2.

Ep.III went back closer to I instead of the II's "Zone" Break - I HATE it totally -> Shion and MOMO are almost useless cuz their attacks are only one area only!!! And if the enemy was able to "boost" while you were attacking, thus breaking up the Zone attack sequence, you gotta start over again!!! :evil:

III have two types of damages, HP and "Break," and it is much easier than II in terms of understanding and performing, no more Zone attack! Some enemies required you to Break them - leaving them in an dizzy state so that you attack their HP. And you can accumulate your Boost level, either for an extra turn or a special move (much more useful than the Double attack in II -> cheap ripoff with no use compared to the Chrono series! :evil: ). And E.S. battles are much better in III, the A.G.W.S. in I never let you do the things in the promos (your AGWS is always efficient when carrying a pair of the same weapons, auto repair, and status prevention -> not the mix and match of guns and shields from some artworks, might as well go to Armored Core then).

To the OP: Xenosaga is easier to play, IMO, than Xenogears, but I do think you may want to finish Chrono Trigger first, you shouldn't be disappointed with the gameplay and storyline.
Yancakes
64-bit

Post by Yancakes »

I guess I should have phrased my question a little more pointedly :lol:

But I gather it's fixed-point, legitimate turn based like old (good) JRPGs as opposed to the "run around like a retard until you can attack something" pseudo turn based combat that you see in Rogue Galaxy, Xenoblade, and pretty much all modern JRPGs that I've played (which, admittedly, are typically only the fairly mainstream ones, I don't know about things like Atelier-whatever-it's-called and other things like that).

On another note... Xenogears related question: what on EARTH is with the weight gain, weight loss mechanic? It keeps popping up from now and then but I have no clue what's going on with it.

I guess I could read the manual but frankly I trust you guys more lol.

EDIT: Also, it was reccomended to me that I get an ether doubler in Nisan, but how on earth am I supposed to afford that?! Where is somewhere where I can grind for money?