2012 Together Retro Calendar

Join in on our classic gaming club!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: 2012 Together Retro Calendar

Post by noiseredux »

alienjesus wrote:All the rest though, I have either barely played or haven't played at all. I think it's one of our strongest years personally.

regardless of my personal opinions, I feel like this list has been the most community driven, which is a good thing.
Flake

Post by Flake »

I like this list!

Half the games I have never played. About half of the remaining I have not played in such a long time that I barely remember them.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

fastbilly1 wrote:Jan - Golden Axe Warrior

Good for Noise. Don't know if I'll be playing; if I do I'll try to get the SMS version.

Feb - Soul Calibur 1

Whatever.

Mar - Y's I

No BD? :cry: I might play, I'll have to research it though.

April - Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2

Good. I'll be playing it on DC.

May - Wolfenstein 3D

Woohoo! PC DOS version for me.

June - Command & Conquer

Didn't expect this. Another Woohoo! I'll be playing the gold edition via Command & Conquer: The First Decade.

July - Treasure Heroes 2 Pack - Guardian Heroes and Gunstar Heroes

Sounds good. I'll most likely only play the GBA one though.

August -Bomberman 94

I hate Bomberman. Oh well.

Sept - Super Mario Brothers 2/Doki Doki Panic

Didn't expect this either. I'll be playing the Super Mario All-Stars version on SNES.

October - Maniac Mansion/Crush series

Nice. 8) This gives me incentive to buy Day of the Tentacle for PC. I'll play the copy of Maniac Mansion found inside the game.

November - Panel de Pon

I wanted Puyo Puyo. :(

December - Do Don Pachi

Whatever, I probably wasn't going to play the shmup choice anyhow.

Good year overall.

Oh, and people who plan to play Command and Conquer on a console: seriously, get it for PC. EA released Command and Conquer Gold as freeware, and the PC version is certainly the best. The resolution (therefore, the amount of the map you can see at once) is like 4 times greater in Command and Conquer Gold.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

Post by YoshiEgg25 »

sevin0seven wrote:
TEKTORO wrote:November - Panel de pon*Needed Recommendations*

EDIT:added some notations if anyone can help :?:

Tetris Attack - SNES

or if you want to go portable: Pokemon Puzzle Leage for Game Boy Color

It's Pokemon Puzzle Challenge on the GBC.

And it's one of the deepest puzzle games you'll probably ever play.
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
DinnerX
Next-Gen

Post by DinnerX »

For those who are buying maniac mansion I have a two tips:

Tip 1: The mac version of Day of the Tentacle (day of the tentacle includes maniac mansion) is cheaper than the Dos version and is fairly easily extracted for use with scummvm. Mac disks are in a format most operating systems don't read normally so you need some techinical knowledge to get the data files off the disk. I didn't have much trouble doing it with hfsutils on slackware. http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/HOWTO-Mac_Games

Tip 2: Lucas arts classic adventures has maniac mansion, monkey island 1, loom, zak mckraken, and indiana jones and the last crusade and goes for much less than the cost of buying physical copies individually. Be aware though that it is on 3.5 floppies.

For panel de pon I recommend nintendo puzzle collection on the gamecube because it's the only 4 player version. It's japan only, but if you have a wii it's super easy to import. Really it isn't to bad if you have a gc.
Since this signature affects old posts, I'm leaving a message here in case anyone searches for my username. This account died in early 2013. I am no longer a fundamentalist.

Don't add to my problems by pretending my past views are still held in the present. I do not have any patience for that. Feel free to ask me what I think now.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Is the maniac mansion on Day of the Tentacle the original version of the game or one of the updates that streamlines the commands a little? I technically have Day of the Tentacle. Do you need to unlock Maniac Mansion, or is it available from the start?

I'm still tempted to buy a copy of the original game though. Is it on Commodore and/or Amiga?

I might write out a list of what platforms these games are available for for everyone.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

I'm with most everyone else in thinking that this is going to be a damn good year for Together Retro. And like Noise said, I appreciate how much the list was affected by the community. Hell, with 40+ pages of discussion and 4 polls (with several more pages each) we got an all star list of games where anybody can find something to love.

My thoughts on the games:

Jan - Golden Axe Warrior

Awesome. I have this on 360, but never played it for more than about 10 minutes. I'm excited to give it an honest go, and I may pick up the original cart if I can find a good price for it.

Feb - Soul Calibur 1

Big fan of the series, but I've never actually played the first one (I started with 2 on the Gamecube. Never let it be said that guest characters in games aren't good marketing). I'll tackle this on Dreamcast, and it's gonna be great.

Mar - Y's I

No experience with this series at all. Someone mentioned in another topic that the DS version is a bit more Zelda like, so I'll probably play that version. Whichever port I go with, I'm in on this one.

April - Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2

I bought this on Dreamcast back in the day, and I obsessed over it for the longest time. I completed it 100% at the time, but I intend to participate this month anyway as its a great game. Also, I plan to play the xbox port, 2X, so I can see the differences.

May - Wolfenstein 3D

An old favorite. I've beaten it many times, and I'll be happy to do so again this month. Its a game I never get tired of. I'll play on 360.

June - Command & Conquer

I played Red Alert for about 20 minutes many years back. This is not at all my kind of game, but I'll give it a shot at the very least. I suppose I'll go PC, since that's sure to be the best version, as Boring already pointed out.

July - Treasure Heroes 2 Pack - Guardian Heroes and Gunstar Heroes

I've loved Gunstar for years, but its always worth another play. I'm excited to play Guardian, which I've never tried before, and I hope some other racketeers get it on 360 so we can play together.

August -Bomberman 94

I don't really care either way on this one. I've never actually played a Bomberman game and I've never felt motivated to either. I'll try it out.

Sept - Super Mario Brothers 2/Doki Doki Panic

Cool with me. I've always like this one, and I've never actually tried Doki Doki Panic, so it'll be interesting to check out the differences between the two. I think this is a good classic choice.

October - Maniac Mansion/Crush series

No experience with these at all. I'm looking forward to them.

November - Panel de Pon

For all of my noise in the puzzle topic, I've never actually tried this series. Should be fun. I don't know which version I'll play, so we'll see what's convenient.

December - Do Don Pachi

Hopefully I'll be able to play imports on my Saturn by this time next year. That's the way I'd like to go.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
DinnerX
Next-Gen

Post by DinnerX »

alienjesus wrote:Is the maniac mansion on Day of the Tentacle the original version of the game or one of the updates that streamlines the commands a little? I technically have Day of the Tentacle. Do you need to unlock Maniac Mansion, or is it available from the start?

I'm still tempted to buy a copy of the original game though. Is it on Commodore and/or Amiga?

I might write out a list of what platforms these games are available for for everyone.

The game is in weird ed's room on his computer. So pretty much from the start. If you add DotT to scummvm you can launch MM directly if you want to be lazy like me. :lol:

It is the enhanced ega graphics version.

There are versions for both the commodore and amiga. The commodore is has the older plainer look.
Since this signature affects old posts, I'm leaving a message here in case anyone searches for my username. This account died in early 2013. I am no longer a fundamentalist.

Don't add to my problems by pretending my past views are still held in the present. I do not have any patience for that. Feel free to ask me what I think now.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

What systems you can get these on:

Golden Axe Warrior - Master System, PS3 (via Ultimate Genesis Collection), 360 (via Ultimate Genesis Collection).

Soul Calibur - Dreamcast, XBLA

Ys (1): The Vanished Omens: As a single release: DOS, Windows 98 (Japan only), Apple II GS, Famicom, Master System, Saturn (Japan only).
As a joint release with Ys 2: PS2 (Japan only), DS, Turbografx CD, PSP, Virtual Console (TG16 CD version). Plus loads of other computer systems, mostly in japanese.

Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2: Playstation, N64, Dreamcast, Xbox(US only), Game Boy Colour, Game Boy Advance, PC, Mac, iPhone.

Wolfenstein 3D: DOS, Mac, Amiga 1200, Apple 2GS, SNES, Jaguar, 3DO, GBA, iOS, Playstation Network, XBLA

Command and Conquer: DOS, Windows, Mac OS, Saturn, N64, Playstation, Playstation Network.

Gunstar Heroes: Mega Drive, PSP, Virtual Console, Playstation Network, XBLA, Game Gear, iOS, GameTap, PS2 (as part of the Treasure Box, Japan Only).
Guardian Heroes: Saturn, XBLA.

Bomberman '94: PC Engine, Virtual Console, Mega Drive/Genesis (as Mega Bomberman), Playstation Network.

Mario Bros 2/Doki Doki Panic: NES, Famicom Disk System, SNES, Wii, Virtual Console, GBA.

Maniac Mansion: Commodore 64, Amiga, Apple II, Atari ST, NES, PC (as part of Day of the Tentacle)
Crush Pinball - Alien Crush - Turbografx, PSN, VC. Devils Crush - TG16, VC, PSN, Mega Drive/Genesis (as Dragon's Fury), Jaki Crush - Super Famicom, Alien Crush Returns - Wiiware

Panel de Pon/Puzzle League: Super Famicom (Panel de Pon), SNES & Game Boy (Tetris Attack), N64 (Pokemon Puzzle League), Game Boy Colour (Pokemon Puzzle Challenge), Gamecube (as part of Nintendo Puzzle Collection, Japan Only), GBA (Dr Mario & Puzzle League), DS (Planet Puzzle league/Puzzle League DS) and DSiWare (Puzzle League Express/A Little bit of Puzzle League DS).

Do Don Pachi: Saturn, PS1, Playstation Network (all japan only).#

I think thats most of the major ones covered.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

Thanks for the handy list Alienjesus.

Has anyone played the nes version of Maniac Mansion? How is it?
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.