Games not meant to be scary, thet end up being pretty creepy

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
Incognito D
128-bit

Re: Games not meant to be scary, thet end up being pretty cr

Post by Incognito D »

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:Half Life 2, and Half Life.

Half Life is definitely intended to be creepy, with dark passageways and head-crabs jumping out at you.

I'd say Super Mario Bros 2 though. Despite being colourful, the whole thing doesn't feel like a Mario game. The setting and music is all kind of Arabian and the gameplay is completely different. It all makes the game kind of unsettling. Also, need I say more? :lol:

Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

Incognito D wrote:Image
*heartattack*

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Key-Glyph wrote:
Incognito D wrote:Image
*heartattack*

It's not just that face, it's the fact that you think you get out with the key alive, then that first time you're like "HES OUT HERE TOO AW ****"
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Incognito D
128-bit

Post by Incognito D »

ExedExes wrote:It's not just that face, it's the fact that you think you get out with the key alive, then that first time you're like "HES OUT HERE TOO AW ****"

too true. I think that was what stopped me from playing the game when I was younger...

...that, and the fact that Mario Bros 2 is not a particularly good game
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Incognito D wrote:...that, and the fact that Mario Bros 2 is not a particularly good game

:evil:
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

o.pwuaioc wrote:
Incognito D wrote:...that, and the fact that Mario Bros 2 is not a particularly good game

:evil:

SMB2 is a good game, but I can see why a lot of people wouldn't like it. It's definitely the black sheep of the original trilogy.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
Jontendo
64-bit

Post by Jontendo »

I can't help but find Goldeneye on N64 a little creepy. The blocky, twitchy animations of those soulless, gun-wielding AI models... :shock:

Early AI is unsettling in general, really. You don't have the comfort of trying to second-guess motivations when they come after you in apathetic waves... chilling.
jfe2
Next-Gen

Post by jfe2 »

Most N64 and PSOne games creep me out if I try to play them now... there's this "empty" vibe that I get from them. Can't really explain it... think Turok 64 I guess.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

jfe2 wrote:Most N64 and PSOne games creep me out if I try to play them now... there's this "empty" vibe that I get from them. Can't really explain it... think Turok 64 I guess.

so how do you feel about Shadow of the Colossus then? Cant' get a lot more empty than that.
Jontendo
64-bit

Post by Jontendo »

jfe2 wrote:Most N64 and PSOne games creep me out if I try to play them now... there's this "empty" vibe that I get from them. Can't really explain it... think Turok 64 I guess.

Yeah, the combination of of blocky characters with fairly recognizable features and AI that's a bit off gives the early ones an unsettling mood.