New Chinese Sandisk adapter for Sega Dreamcast! Updated!!!

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Anthony817
128-bit

Re: New Chinese Sandisk adapter for Sega Dreamcast!

Post by Anthony817 »

Xelyx wrote:
Upsidedown Fuji wrote:I own a lot of DC games already but it would be cool to just load them off an external device. I hope it continues to get refined. It would be cool to have a plug n play solution for running backup software. :)

Like a way of attaching an external HDD? Or would that work?

Nobody has found a way to run a Harddrive easily from the Dreamcast, so we went the solid state solution and this was developed after somebody found out you could run SD Cards through the serial port.

Just think, I will have a 32GB "Solid State Harddrive" on my Dreamcast, and I can run all my working roms from the system without ever taking out the Dreamshell disc.

I wanted to do what this guy did, and make a slot loading SD port on the side of his machine but mine looks like the ports on the back are filled up like PC slots with a small flash drive.

part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh6SxdUk_Xk

part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-b1JfRo5Zo
pakopako
Next-Gen

Post by pakopako »

Wait. Wait. Wait.

With the right BIOS flash, I can run a DC directly off the adapter? (Can the GDrom be re-enabled just in case?)
My scheduling skills have died of dysentery; I hope to visit at least on a monthly basis.
Still, don't forget to tip your waitress.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

Anthony817 wrote:I wanted to do what this guy did, and make a slot loading SD port on the side of his machine but mine looks like the ports on the back are filled up like PC slots with a small flash drive.

part 1

part 2

I saw this guy's mod. Pretty nice. When there's more compatible games, I might do something like that.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Anthony817
128-bit

Post by Anthony817 »

pakopako wrote:Wait. Wait. Wait.

With the right BIOS flash, I can run a DC directly off the adapter? (Can the GDrom be re-enabled just in case?)

Yes, with a Bios mod like the one found below, you can install the Dreamshell OS into the bios by piggybacking the mod chip on top of the stock bios chip.

http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtop ... f=2&t=3057

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=23751&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Think of Dreamshell like Custom Firmware for you Dreamcast much like that iof the PSP and you get thie idea.

Also, you can restart the Dreamcast with the regular bios and the GDRom will continue to work like normal. If you don't like the Dreamshell OS installed, you can alway install the old bios back or even install the kool Katana Devkit bios!

GSZX1337 wrote:
Anthony817 wrote:I wanted to do what this guy did, and make a slot loading SD port on the side of his machine but mine looks like the ports on the back are filled up like PC slots with a small flash drive.

part 1

part 2

I saw this guy's mod. Pretty nice. When there's more compatible games, I might do something like that.

Well, combatibility is still limited in it's early stages, as SWAT is trying to optomize the drivers as much as possible. I am sure we just need more folks ripping and testing as many games as possible, and we will find more full speed retail games I am sure of it.
pakopako
Next-Gen

Post by pakopako »

Hm, a piggybacking BIOS. That's GREAT news. I've gone through four (?) Dreamcasts since 1999 and the problem the majority had were just worn out GDrom units (laser gear broke, laser died, etc.). If I can flash my remaining systems, then it will be a great fall-back feature.

I've seen it happen to all optical disc drives (consoles and computer drives), so anything with less moving parts (even if flash roms do insta-die after x0,000 reads) is welcome.
My scheduling skills have died of dysentery; I hope to visit at least on a monthly basis.
Still, don't forget to tip your waitress.
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

Post by YoshiEgg25 »

This would actually be a very nice thing to have for my Dreamcast arcade cabinet I'm building this summer. A lot easier to just plug this in and choose games from a menu than swap out disks from the belly of the machine.
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
Anthony817
128-bit

Post by Anthony817 »

Mine should have shipped out from China today on the 11th, as Chinese New Years had all the parcell shipments closed down till after the holidays were over.
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

Post by gtmtnbiker »

Did it come in yet and have you tried it out?
Amplibax
16-bit

Post by Amplibax »

pakopako wrote:Hm, a piggybacking BIOS. That's GREAT news. I've gone through four (?) Dreamcasts since 1999 and the problem the majority had were just worn out GDrom units (laser gear broke, laser died, etc.). If I can flash my remaining systems, then it will be a great fall-back feature.

I've seen it happen to all optical disc drives (consoles and computer drives), so anything with less moving parts (even if flash roms do insta-die after x0,000 reads) is welcome.

That would be amazing. I have two DCs with faulty lasers that could be used again.
Anthony817
128-bit

Post by Anthony817 »

Well, I found out this past week they are just now shipping it out, so when I do get it and test it out, I will give a full review of it, and if it works with my 32GB SDHC card.

Waiting is the hard part. :cry: