Does anybody else have this RPG problem?

Level up here
philipofmacedon
32-bit

Post by philipofmacedon »

I know exactly what you guys are talking about. Right now I'm about halfway through Grandia on the PS and Dark Queen of Krynn on my PC. I think my problem is that I've simply gotten spoiled. I played through loads of rpgs when I was younger but back then I didn't have many games or consoles. So I'd usually only have one RPG to work on at a time. Now that I've started to collect games it's far easier to get distracted. I hate passing up deals but part of me says to just not buy new games until I'm done with the old ones.
Thello

Post by Thello »

I try not to play too many JRPGs in a short time-span. They tend to be very similar to one another, and randomly encountered enemies in a turn-based battle system get old quick.
wyatt
32-bit

Post by wyatt »

I don't have a problem finishing it if I enjoy it. If after 10 or 15 hours it hasn't causght me, then I am done with it for good.
Let my legs shake me to sleep, and don't wake me when I sweat on my sheets.
Raz1r
24-bit

Post by Raz1r »

I do this all the time. I think my problem was buying them before I finished the one I was on. I would buy one, play it for 5 hours, buy another and never touch the last one again.

I have like 10+ RPGs on the original playstation that I still have to finish.
nick944
64-bit

Post by nick944 »

I have that problem too. Skies of Arcadia, love the game, but it's annoying. I'm at the part where have to fight the red gigas and the lynx ship right after, but I can never beat both. Each time I try it takes 30 minutes then I lose.
Mother/Earthbound series: I have Mother 1&2 for GBA, I'm using a walkthrough for Earthbound zero... everything is great except that when I bring up the item menu I see japanese characters, and have no clue which item is which.
abeisgreat
128-bit

Post by abeisgreat »

Ive got the problem to, like Smrpg played for like 3 days, dropped, and never finished, same with Superstar Saga, and Paper Mario
Beep beep Beep
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

I've kind of sworn off rpgs for awhile because of how involved and time-consuming they are. The last rpgs I completed were FF12 and Disgaea 2 and I put tons of hours into doing all the optional stuff in those two games which exhausted me. Oh but how I do love my uber-powered Laharl, Adel and Rosalin:) Come here Land of Carnage Uber Prinny Baal so I can bitch slap you again. Mwahahaha!!!

Ahem...anyway.

When I play rpgs I generally use a faq because it saves times and cuts down on some of the frustration of not being prepared for certain tough areas or bosses, or missing important one time only things. Plus, I love that faq writers will often find the quickest and easiest ways to power up so it reduces the tedium and frustration of level grinding. I can't remember the last time I finished an rpg without a faq. I find that without faqs I have a hard time staying motivated enough to finish rpgs.

Plus, FAQs reveal all the hidden stuff in rpgs, which for me is the real fun of an rpg. I tend to obsess over doing and finding everything

Now some might say I ruin the experience by using faqs and removing some of the challenge, but that's not important to me. I look for challenge in other types of games, with rpgs I generally just want to see and experience everything and do it with the least amount of hassle(and time commitment) possible. FAQs help me do that and I typically won't play all the way through an rpg without one.
soniklife
24-bit

Post by soniklife »

this is why i tend to only play one rpg at a time. i have been playing shining force 2 for a few weeks now and i am almost done. i feel like i play more than one i won't finish another. the downside is now i have a whole stack up great rpgs that i have obtained over the last month that i am itching to play. i recently picked up:
grandia 2 (dc)
evolution (dc)
skies of arcadia legends (gc)
star wars: knights of the old republic (xbox)
legend of zelda: a link to the past (snes)

plus i just recently installed my mod chip for my saturn so i will certainly be playing the other games in the shining force series as well as dragon force and panzer dragoon saga
Psycho Penguin
8-bit

Post by Psycho Penguin »

I have started and not completed hundreds of RPGs, some multiple times, over the years, so yes I definitely have the problem. Right now I believe I have about 130 RPGs I want to finish. :/
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Re: Does anybody else have this RPG problem?

Post by D.D.D. »

racketboy wrote:I have this problem where I start an RPG, get really excited about it, get sidetracked for a few days, and then never come back to it. Anybody else the same way?

Here's a slimmed down list of the RPGs I'm "in the middle of":

Skies of Arcadia
Grandia 2
Golden Sun
Legend of Zelda
Suikoden
Legend of Oasis

Didn't read all the posts but, I'm sure it's the exact same "syndrome" I've had for the last few years. The priorities of real life take over and we just don't have the time to spend hours and hours day after day like when we were students or even kids.
There are plenty of RPGs that I want to pick up again/start over but I just don't have time to dedicate to something that involving which is why my DS and Wii somewhat are my most played machines these days. :roll: