Suggest me some PC games

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
Ack

Re: Suggest me some PC games

Post by Ack »

If you want to consider it the "Health Regeneration" plague you can, but I view Halo as an issue in a lot of ways. First, it did pull the "dubbed-down PC version" bit with its crappy port. Second, it continued the popularity of the genre on the console, thus helping to further open the floodgates that had slowly been opening for the previous two generations. Third, it seems to have become a mainstay to the generic douchebag gamer(not an active criticism of Halo, I know, but the community is full of some of the biggest jerks I've ever seen, and I've been playing online multiplayer since Half-Life). Fourth, it helped popularize health regeneration.

Fifth, and perhaps most important...it had successful multiplayer and easy-to-use controls. Let's face it, one of the biggest strengths of PC gaming is that it had online multiplayer years before everything else, and it allowed relatively large groups to play. And while a keyboard and mouse setup can allow for a much greater system of control, it's pretty daunting to new players who aren't used to all those buttons and manual dexterity. A controller's a lot easier to use because, most likely, you're using two thumbs and two fingers. Once the console FPS had successful multiplayer, the average joe had an easier time of understanding the appeal of the genre and playing it. Heck, what made Goldeneye so popular? A successful engine, an excellent property that was identifiable, a ton of replayability, and multiplayer with more options than you could shake a stick at. Well-designed controls for the console, too.

Nowadays, controls are relatively standardized across both the PS3 and Xbox 360, partly because the controllers are actually very similar. A well-designed console multiplayer is what folks are after. Some developers either don't realize this(Bioshock's lack thereof), or they attempt to bring in both PC and console, dubbing down the PC players while boosting the consoles, which generally kills the PC market entirely(Shadowrun), or they're giving that multiplayer while also understanding the limitations of the medium(Call of Duty 4). And there's also standardization between games versus non-standardization(again, Bioshock versus Call of Duty 4).

I come to this conclusion because every console-based FPS I've ever really cared for has had to have a decent multiplayer experience, which I first got on the Nintendo 64, but kept getting expanded in the next generation.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

I agree as far as controls. Thats the biggest thing on PC that makes me love it. I like being able to map shortcuts to every key for effieciency. This is a huge downfall for RTS's on consoles as well, I couldn't imagine SoaSE on a console. and playing the (very good) port of Command and Conquer for Saturn is okay because its a much more simple RTS game and it provided button combos to do advanced things (such as map squads) but with games like Sins and Supreme Commander it would be impossible on a console. Just look at the 360 SC.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

Post by Mod_Man_Extreme »

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:I agree as far as controls. Thats the biggest thing on PC that makes me love it. I like being able to map shortcuts to every key for effieciency. This is a huge downfall for RTS's on consoles as well, I couldn't imagine SoaSE on a console. and playing the (very good) port of Command and Conquer for Saturn is okay because its a much more simple RTS game and it provided button combos to do advanced things (such as map squads) but with games like Sins and Supreme Commander it would be impossible on a console. Just look at the 360 SC.

Unless they allow USB Keyboard and Mouse controls.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode wrote:Send him a dodgy cheque. Make it out to Scammy McScammerson.

Check out my sale thread below, NeoGeo MVS carts & Arcade gear wanted!:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11366
fast
Next-Gen

Post by fast »

ammend that to MAPPABLE keyboard and mouse controls. This is my main problem with console shooters, not allowing the player to remap the controls. It just makes the game unplayable.
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

Post by Mod_Man_Extreme »

Quite true.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode wrote:Send him a dodgy cheque. Make it out to Scammy McScammerson.

Check out my sale thread below, NeoGeo MVS carts & Arcade gear wanted!:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11366
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

Ack wrote:
GSZX1337 wrote:I do like the term FPS apocalypse though. Mind if I borrow that?

Sure, go ahead. ;)
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|