Niche and underrated games-thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
MrEco
Next-Gen

Re: Niche and underrated games-thread

Post by MrEco »

I think The Bards Tale and Lord of the Rings: Third Age are both very underrated.
I feel old when talking to anyone my age yet too inexperienced to effectively talk to anyone older. Life is grand that way.

My twitter handle is @EckoExplores
Youngie
8-bit

Post by Youngie »

The Discworld Series is hugely underrated IMO. Along with Alpha Centauri for PC.
onemanfilmcrew
64-bit

Post by onemanfilmcrew »

Nobody has mentioned the greatest Brawler ever made. Alien Vs. Predator (Arcade). It takes the Final Fight style game play and perfects it. Plus it is a million times better than the craptacular movies.
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

Post by BurningDoom »

I picked this one up at Goodwill today for only $3.99. Got home and went to test the disc and found myself going into race after race. The racing is fun, the cars handle well, there are plenty of car choices, and it has a great soundtrack that keeps you pumped (which is great in a racing game!).

But then I noticed bad reviews about the game when I went to check it out as I added it in my collection, surprised the hell out of me. Guess everyone back then was spoiled by the likes of Gran Turismo and Metropolis Street Racer.
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

I don't think the game is really bad, it's just not great. I played the hell out of 5 on the PlayStation.

I think a lot of the complaints stem from the fact that it abandoned what the original Test Drives were about: half-hour long tracks through various environments.

But yeah, the soundtrack is great.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

Post by BurningDoom »

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:I don't think the game is really bad, it's just not great. I played the hell out of 5 on the PlayStation.

I think a lot of the complaints stem from the fact that it abandoned what the original Test Drives were about: half-hour long tracks through various environments.

But yeah, the soundtrack is great.

Yeah, I have 5 too, and I enjoyed it. But 6 definitely looks and sounds better, IMO.
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I actually haven't played any of the Test Drive games, but now y'all got me interested.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

noiseredux wrote:I actually haven't played any of the Test Drive games, but now y'all got me interested.

Well, they're all a bit dated now, but, II on the Genesis is a pretty good console port, though you wont get to experience any of the expansion packs. The original is a bit bland. 3 is very good, but it will require DOSBox or a DOS PC.

5 and 6 on the PlayStation are merely okay. Steer far far away from 4. It's awful. The soundtracks for both 5 and 6 are the high points of the game. Seriously some of the best arcade racing music of any game series. Take the car select music from 5 for instance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IybrQkEJd0k

The reboot on PS2 blows huge chunks. Do not play!

Test Drive: Unlimited on PS2/360/PC is great but not quite what the original series was about. If you play any of these the PC version is the best. While the 360 has HD graphics, a lot of the physics ended up a bit screwy and the car handling is a bit twitchy. The PS2 version is complete sans the pretty graphics and has much better physics and handling. The PC version combines the best of both.

The novelty of Test Drive back when was the inclusion of extremely long tracks, drivin from a first person perspective and relatively realistic handling. Unfortunately, because of this, they haven't aged that well. 2 is a bit fun to pick up now and then for me but it really does feel sluggish at this point.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
elmagicochrisg
Next-Gen

Post by elmagicochrisg »

Niode wrote:I tend to call games like SoR or Golden Axe Beat 'em ups and Street Fighter clones as Fighters. I think it's important to have the distinction.

Exactly...

One-on-one combat in a confined space = fighter

Scrolling levels in which you have to physically attack multiple enemies = beat 'em up

AFAIK it's no different in Europe...

I could go even further...

Scrolling levels in which you have to attack multiple enemies with guns = shoot 'em up

Shoot 'em up with crafts in the air = shooter
Last edited by elmagicochrisg on Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new, odorless and sealed)

All forum members are equal. But some are more equal than others. - George Orwell
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

MrEco wrote:I think The Bards Tale and Lord of the Rings: Third Age are both very underrated.

How's the rest of the LotR series? And I thought Bard's Tale got a lot of praise?