So what have you guys been watching lately?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Re: So what have you guys been watching lately?

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

Watched the "San Junipero" episode of Black Mirror. Wasn't much of a fan, mostly because the conflict (or at least what I perceived as the conflict) was too light. There's only a handful of lines mentioning it, and the ending makes it seem like a quick turn around in viewpoint.

EDIT: I'm also looking for suggestions on anything to watch. I'm currently not finding much on Netflix, but I'll be getting Amzon Prime soon.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_(miniseries)

I just finished a 2016 docudrama called "Mars" which was created by the National Geographic channel. This was a really interesting mini-series, very well produced and insightful. It's half science fact, half speculative science. The writing is above average, and doesn't pull any punches (don't go into this hoping for a breezy ride). It's about the first human expedition on Mars, and the trials and tribulations involved. Half the show is focused on actors and fictional elements, the other half features real life scientists and space enthusiasts telling things like they actually are. Sometimes the show can get a little bogged down in faux-drama or overindulge in minutiae, but overall it's a significant tier above most television. So if you have any interest in space travel, Mars, or extraterrestrial exploration, definitely watch this show. Mars will make you pause and ponder if nothing else. This show even managed to improve my opinion of Elon Musk.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

That image looks so weird at a glance. Like Lemmings and a little tiny Hot Wheels land rover.

Sounds like something I'd really dig.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Per Ack's recommendation, I just finished the first season of Airwolf. I didn't watch this one much as a kid back in the '80s, and I wasn't expecting much. But this show is really fun, and has held up well. I was especially impressed with the death defying helicopter stunts and insane pyrotechnics, all I can say is Airwolf must have had an enormous budget. Pretty well written and acted too. On to season two, here's hoping it's just as good (if not better).
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Hey man, glad you're enjoying it. I'll suggest some crap later if you like too.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

There's been a big-ass Doctor Who marathon on BBC America. When I get my Netflix account reactivated I am so binging this.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Exh, have you watched The Martian? I'll have to look into that National Geo documentary.

I'm on S1, E8 of DareDevil. Very impressed so far.

My Retro Achievements | Games Beaten 2023 & 2024 |
xJAGOx = Xbox Gamertag | Console Mods
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Lemony Snicket's "A Series of Unfortunate Events" on Netflix is shaping up to be a much, much, MUCH better take on the sorrowful series than the previous attempt starring Jim Carrey.

Here, Count Olaf is played NOT in a manic and lunacy-ridden way by Jim Carrey, but rather in a much more true-to-the-book version by Neil Patrick Harris.

Each 40some minute episode, eight in all in the first season (they spend two episodes adapting each book), seems to have more effort and care than the entire Jim Carrey-starring adaptation.

I've read all the books, 13 in all, and I can say this series might be better than the books! If not, at least, for all the added content.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Finished the 4th (and final?) season of Sherlock tonight. I agree with Ack that it wasn't up to par with previous seasons, but it was still decent. Let's be honest, the show hobbled itself once it got rid of Moriarty. But overall the four seasons were above average drama TV.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

ROM hacker Pacnsacdave did a Sherlock-themed hack of the old Batman game from the NES (the one based on the movie), but like a lot of his hacks lately they're only available on repro carts sold on his Etsy page.

Really wish someone would just rip them already. He also did a pair of Doctor Who hacks based on Cosmo Police Galivan, a quartet of TMNT hacks based on Toxic Crusaders, and a Guardians of the Galaxy game based on Bucky O'Hare (GotG is, more or less, how I'd do a Bucky O'Hare film).