[GUIDE/INFO] Flash Carts, ODE, and more!

Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: [GUIDE/INFO] for Flash Carts, Retrode, repros, and more!

Post by Tanooki »

Ziggy587 wrote:
Sarge wrote:In other news, the SD2SNES now supports Super FX. It's not perfect, and never will be (timings are too difficult to be perfectly accurate), but it's apparently working great with pretty much all the Super FX lineup. I'm probably going to install the latest version on my cart this evening and give it a test.

Link, please! I'm not seeing this on the sd2snes.de website. Last firmware post was May 6, 2017.

redguy is your crackerjack coder who bothered to figure it out and this is his thread: https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=7451.0

Also to clarify one thing on my last post, EZ-Flash IV is the OLD name, it's now EZ-Flash OMEGA for the 2017/18 version. Easily had on ebay shipped for under $50 new.

(Edited it, the EZ Flash REFORM a couple weeks ago was outdated by the EZ Flash OMEGA -- This one needs no battery to retain saves, they write direct, instead battery is used for RTC games only so it's optional. http://www.ezflash.cn/product/reform/
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

Thanks everyone for the help. So right now I’m definitely going for the EZ flash Omega for GBA, and strongly leaning toward the Mega Everdrive V5 for my Genesis. I think ultimately I will get the V5 but there is a part of me that has trouble not getting the latest, greatest version of a product.

Anyone have experience with the 64 everdrives? Or any other 64 flash carts?
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I will note that if you want FM sound for SMS, you have to go with the X7.
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

Sarge wrote:I will note that if you want FM sound for SMS, you have to go with the X7.

I just had to google that. I don’t really understand what it is. So without fm sound will I not have sound on some games? Or is that just enhanced sound of some sort? It seems like the latter but I was planning on selling my power base converter so I want to be sure I’m not crippling some SMS games.

Also what’s the best online store for the ezFlash omega (in the US)? I’d rather not order off eBay if possible.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

https://segaretro.org/FM_Sound_Unit

FM Sound was originally an addon for the Japanese Master System (aka the Mark III). It just adds enhanced audio in a few compatible games. It can be added to other regions through mods or in this case, flash cart functionality. I personally did not think it was worth to the extra cost when considering the X5 vs the X7. YMMV.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Yeah, there were a few games in Japan that utilized an FM sound expansion. Some of them sound quite good with it, like Phantasy Star. The fan translation has the option to use it or the original PSG sound. Some American games still support FM, and some had it taken out for space.

It's not a must-have feature, but it is pretty slick.

I actually bought my cart before the X3/X5/X7 line rebrand, so mine is technically a Mega EverDrive V2. Same hardware as the X7. At that point, that was the only way to get instant loading, which is absolutely a bigger consideration. If you weren't aware of this functionality, I'm sure the X5 will work for you just fine.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Has anyone got their hands of the Super SD System 3 for the PCE/TG16/Duo?

Man, this thing is a swiss army knife:

https://youtu.be/embglSBWF8E

As an update to Jaguar SD cart from another thread:

Jagosaurus wrote:Working! .... and saving.

https://youtu.be/q6Id8Ed_Ylc

(posted via mobile)
marurun

Post by marurun »

It still has some hardware issues and will hopefully do well enough to warrant a second revision, but even with the issues it's still a rather cool piece of kit.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

marurun wrote:It still has some hardware issues and will hopefully do well enough to warrant a second revision, but even with the issues it's still a rather cool piece of kit.

In the video linked above (know it's a long one), sounds like they several of those issues were addressed within the hardware production run & more to be hit via firmware.

Also allows for saves & even video out IIRC.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Jagosaurus wrote:
marurun wrote:It still has some hardware issues and will hopefully do well enough to warrant a second revision, but even with the issues it's still a rather cool piece of kit.

In the video linked above (know it's a long one), sounds like they several of those issues were addressed within the hardware production run & more to be hit via firmware.

Also allows for saves & even video out IIRC.

The unit allows playback of CD and ROM images, includes proper hardware emulation for the CD add-on, can support all the way up to ArcadeCD titles, has a microSD card slot, and not only allows saves, but keeps a totally separate CD memory environment for each game. And yes, has video and audio out. That's easy to tap into on the PC Engine. The giant expansion port has a pin for just about everything. Many issues are indeed addressable via firmware, but firmware may not be able to fix everything. We'll just have to see how popular these turn out to be and wait until more people have tested them.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.