Switch Discussion Thread

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: Switch Discussion Thread

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Reprise wrote:I'm mostly looking forward to a lot of third party games and old ports that I guess most people would perhaps roll their eyes or shrug their shoulders at.

Namely:

Sonic Forces (yeah, it's getting some criticism for 'safe' level design and because Sonic Mania just came out and blew it away, but I loved Generations and Colors)
L.A. Noire (yeah, 6 year old game that I already own on PS3, but it was one of my favourites of that generation and I can't wait to replay it, at home or on the go)
Doom (again, it's freaking Doom on the go)
WWE 2K18 (WWE wrestling games haven't been the best the last few years, but I also wouldn't say they're terrible. Again, the portable aspect makes this a must for me)
Wolfenstein 2 (yeah, later than the other versions, but...)

The portable aspect of the console is just huge for me. It's a huge benefit.

Oh man I am with you on all this, except replace wwe with nba. My computer is comparable to the switch and it's portable so I'll take it!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Tanooki wrote:Did you like I Am Setsuna or know of it?

That game is a good example of something that I just don't see wanting to get on the Switch, even though I have some passing interest. I can get it for like $10-$15 pretty regularly on PC right now and I've seen it around $20 on PSN. The game was also on those platforms almost a year before it hit the Switch.

Twice the price for portability? No.

It is also of slightly poorer quality on the Switch.

I am Setsuna is almost a complete visual match across both platforms, but there is a noticeable difference with both versions in motion - the PS4 game runs at a significantly higher frame-rate. The action moves at a slick 60fps on Sony's console, in line with performance seen on most 16-bit sprite-based titles of the era. This results in a very fluid gameplay experience where the environments scroll across the screen smoothly, with both combat and exploration having a polished feel throughout.It's a clear upgrade over the Switch version, which targets a more common 30fps update instead

Though the comparison praises its performance parity across portable and docked mode, again - twice the price for that? No.

The game is also, in my mind, a good candidate for a PS+ freebie or for a Humble Bundle game sometime in the next year or so. That's not even an option on the Switch. Thus, my continual deferral on it...
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

I Am Setsuna isn't great anyways, in my opinion.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Reprise wrote:I Am Setsuna isn't great anyways, in my opinion.

Patron Saint of Bitch Mode
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Haha When does it get good then? I imported the physical version and kinda regret it. It seems very bland and generic, and void of charm (unlike, say, Octopath Traveler).
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Reprise wrote:Haha When does it get good then? I imported the physical version and kinda regret it. It seems very bland and generic, and void of charm (unlike, say, Octopath Traveler).

It stays generic, but I really liked Setsuna's character. How far into the game are you? I imported as well.
Patron Saint of Bitch Mode
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
Reprise wrote:Haha When does it get good then? I imported the physical version and kinda regret it. It seems very bland and generic, and void of charm (unlike, say, Octopath Traveler).

It stays generic, but I really liked Setsuna's character. How far into the game are you? I imported as well.

It's been a good few months since I played it last, but I'm not too far in. Maybe about 6 hours or so.

BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

The consensus with I am Setsuna for folks seems to be that it is a good game, with some flaws and generic tropes and pacing issues, but all in all an enjoyable experience.

Lost Sphear is really the proving grounds to determine if they can improve or just stay at the same level.

Still.... Octopath Traveller has already hit me in the feels from the demo.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I Am Setsuna starts fairly slow and isn't much when you get into the start of it unlike say Chrono Trigger where the play style and cross attacks are pulled from. As it goes the story picked up much better as the party fills up and the reasoning behind what's going on in that world gets more clear while your path to that point ends up taking a twist. I'd stick with it a bit more.

It's weird, I guess if I would just say screw games to the most part and stuck entirely to just ONE system I'd likely have replayed both Zelda and Setsuna by now. As bogus said Lost Sphear needs to do just that, though if you liked the existing game I don't think someone would end up disappointed but it would be nice to see where it could grow from in that style of game.
Kuruwin
64-bit

Post by Kuruwin »

I was really digging Setsuna at first but eventhough it's short game it still starts to really drag towards the end and the ending is tired and dull. It looked like they were trying to do something different but ended up with cliches.