What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Michi
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by Michi »

RCBH928 wrote:
Michi wrote:New write-up of the week:

Interesting mix of Sci-Fi and horror with Kane Hodder as the titular beast. A straight-to-video release that ended up being more entertaining that I thought it would be, even with all the very questionable science :lol:

You have such a unique choice when it comes to movie viewing, may I ask how do you even stumble upon these movies?

I purposefully dig through the trenches of what Amazon and a couple other sites have in the hopes of trying to find something different.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

My wife and I just watched The Lovebirds on Netflix. It has terrible trailer, but it is actually a really, really funny romantic comedy. Highly recommend.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:My wife and I just watched The Lovebirds on Netflix. It has terrible trailer, but it is actually a really, really funny romantic comedy. Highly recommend.

Better than I expected, fun movie. Along the same lines as Date Night basically.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I wrote a thing about Walt Disney’s “Fantasia” for its 80th anniversary over on the film website “The Solute,” if you are interested.

https://www.the-solute.com/year-of-the- ... -fantasia/
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:My wife and I just watched The Lovebirds on Netflix. It has terrible trailer, but it is actually a really, really funny romantic comedy. Highly recommend.

Is it an indie movie? I am really skeptical with Netflix productions. One guy somewhere on the internet describe Netflix production as modern day B-Movies. I couldn't agree more as they seem to be pumping out so much shows and movies anything to grab attention. Not sure how they are able to finance all of this.

stickem wrote:Better than I expected, fun movie. Along the same lines as Date Night basically.

I usually hate Steve Carell, his comedy is too cheesy and childish for me but this one seems to have a good storyline to it.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

I didnt care for any of his movies when I first watched them. But they've kinda grown on me after rewatching years later. Date night was probably the first one I cared for back then. Still haven't watched 1 episode of the office.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Good Burger

Yes, I am a sucker when it comes to 80s/90s films/shows even cheesy kids ones. They had a good vibe to them, media targeting younger people today seem more rigid and capitalist/corporate-y, and less fun and artistic.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I was a little angry to see Ghostbusters II get 6.6/10 on IMDB. After watching the movie, I thought this was too biased towards the franchise. The whole movie story is a structural goop. Without special effects, star actors, or the Ghostbusters IP this movie might score less than a B-Movie. Its like a bad piece of meat marinated with expensive herbs.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

RCBH928 wrote:I was a little angry to see Ghostbusters II get 6.6/10 on IMDB. After watching the movie, I thought this was too biased towards the franchise. The whole movie story is a structural goop. Without special effects, star actors, or the Ghostbusters IP this movie might score less than a B-Movie. Its like a bad piece of meat marinated with expensive herbs.

Did you like the first movie? If so, I'd say give it some time and then rewatch the sequel. It might grow on you. It's a different tone than the first film.

I always thought of the Ghostbusters movies as action/supernatural thriller with some comedy peppered into it, the way comedy is peppered into a James Bond movie without the movie being a straight up comedy. I guess I've felt that way mostly because the lore is really deep. The supernatural element is done with a very serious tone, the comedy all comes from the characters (and if you watch interviews with Dan Aykroyd, he's very serious about it himself). But, apparently I am wrong. Anywhere you look, this movie is classified as a comedy. Maybe an action-comedy or a supernatural-comedy, but always a comedy.

If you watch the bonus materials to the first film, someone form the production team (director, producer, I forget who it was) explains that a lot of people questioned how the Ghostbusters could have survived the explosion at the top of the apartment building at the end of the movie. And if you watch that scene, yeah, there's no way. His reply is... THAT'S the joke. So yeah, these are comedies. Maybe not in the same way that Stripes or Caddyshack is, but in the way that the Back to the Future trilogy isn't just a comedy, it's a SciFi-comedy. You have to go into it with that frame of mind.

So with that, I think you should think of Ghostbusters II as a comedy and then you might enjoy it better. You're suppose to laugh a little and be entertained for a couple hours, and there's plenty of hilarious things in this movie. The character Janosz Poha (Yan-Osh) rivals Rick Moranis' Louis Tully, which are two of the funniest and best-played roles I know of. The first film had a slightly darker and a little more serious feel to it. Most people say it's because The Real Ghostbusters series came out in between the two movies, which was massively popular, so they made the sequel a little more friendly to a younger audience.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

RCBH928 wrote:I was a little angry to see Ghostbusters II get 6.6/10 on IMDB. After watching the movie, I thought this was too biased towards the franchise. The whole movie story is a structural goop. Without special effects, star actors, or the Ghostbusters IP this movie might score less than a B-Movie. Its like a bad piece of meat marinated with expensive herbs.

The ooze would be pretty powerful today since it feeds off people's negativity, lol, which I thought was a dumb theme. It went from being a fantasy, suspenseful action type comedy about buddies hanging out in a clubhouse to a lets everybody love one another to weaken the ooze. I didnt want a message in the movie.