Summer Games Challenge 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
darsparx
Next-Gen

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2015

Post by darsparx »

Well i started mine though like I said in the rpg progress report I might need to track down a new ps1 controller(and perferably wireless so I can sit in bed and play it...I need to find a whole bunch of wireless ones the only decent long one I have is the nes controller that thing is super long). I will beat this one and I think the second one I play will probably be my ff once I find a new cart...
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
Ack

Post by Ack »

Oh yeah, I'm gonna need a manual for Ultima's controls. I just installed it and Loom and gave them a quick test. Both are working just fine, but I will need to figure out how to play them.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Well my Year Challenge has stalled out momentarily so I may as well jump into this. Not sure what I'll start out with. Maybe Bonk or Ghosts n Goblins.
Ack

Post by Ack »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Well my Year Challenge has stalled out momentarily so I may as well jump into this. Not sure what I'll start out with. Maybe Bonk or Ghosts n Goblins.

You can't boot up Lords of Midnight or something?
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

noiseredux wrote:Bloodrayne?

I own the first two games in that series on Xbox and PC (GOG). I've only finished Bloodrayne 2 on Xbox though. I thought it was a pretty fun game overall. Definitely not for everybody though, as the game is gory, sleazy, and full of low brow humor. The combat is quite good though and there's a lot of kinetic aerial platforming that I thought was done well. If you like sexy vampire ladies and blood 'n' guts it's a good time.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

I've had a couple of goes at Earthworm Jim.

At the moment I can't get further than the second part of Down the Tubes, but I'm getting better at the first two levels.

The game doesn't control the way I expect it to, so I've had to adjust.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Put about 30 minutes into my first serious attempt at Bonk.

Got a Game Over and then just shut it off. There are continues but I was honestly just bored. The game is slow-paced with shoddy hit detection. Meh. I'll try again some other time.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

I've been playing Donkey Kong Country on-and-off all day while I cleaned the house and did approximately five tons of laundry.

My feelings are complicated! On the one hand, it's just so charming. I love that Donkey and Diddy have different animations, strengths, and voices. I think it's beautiful how the scenery changes as you go through certain levels -- a setting sun, an increasing snow storm -- and of course, there's the music. And Cranky Kong.

On the other hand, I find certain aspects incredibly frustrating. First of all, every time I start the game I go back to the first few levels to grind up my lives because those don't save -- and I know I'm going to need them for all the times I misjudge a jump (that one minecart!), think the background is the foreground (whoops), or get screwed by something that was kept deliberately beyond my range of sight.

I guess I feel that the game is a little bit inconsistent so far. For instance, sometimes items seem to indicate things below and act as a guide to a barrel or platform, and sometimes they sucker me into bottomless pits. I don't know how to tell the difference yet! I realize it's probably a matter of my learning the conventions, but the one-or-two-hit deaths are discouraging. Especially when you've just gotten through a lengthy barrel section and rolled into a crocodile on impulse.

All that said... I keep wanting to go back to it. I turn it off after some frustrating bit, but a few hours later I feel myself being drawn back. This must mean I'm enjoying myself -- I just need to cut myself some slack with getting used to the gameplay.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

My perception of DKC is a bit skewed as I'm a bit of a whiz at it. Got it at launch - after Nintendo Power sent a VHS tape that hyped it - and have been playing it regularly ever since.

Are you playing the SNES original? I hope so.

Yeah, not having your lives saved is a bummer. I'd recommend playing in really long stretches for that reason, if you have the time to set aside. Otherwise, you can rack up lives quickly in the first stage.

Your complaints are valid; oddly enough they remind me of how I view the Sonic games. :lol: Keep in mind that many of those hard-to-reach barrels/platforms and whatnot actually lead to bonus stages and can be skipped unless you're shooting for 101% completion (not a good idea during your first playthrough).
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

Since I'm certain my controller may be messed up on my ps1(I want to play on that if I'm going to play lunar not on the ps2...) until I find a new one Lunar is on hold. Instead I'm going into Chrono(which I need a extension cord or something because I hate having to sit 3' away from my tv....might end up moving the r5 next to my tv tonight when I get up). But man....I thought the music was great in the version I played on my psv(started but I think I got distracted by freedom wars or something...) but I may be crazy but coming through the r5 it's 10x better, glorious. I'm not even out of the festival yet(i'm aiming for that lode sword :lol: )
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?