Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Limewater
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by Limewater »

marurun wrote:I’m technically the only fan.

Only Fan huh? I think there's a website just for you..
Oh yeah, here it is!
http://www.thesmrc.com/
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
marurun

Post by marurun »

Well, because I didn’t explicitly read the phrase, “I am a fan of the Mario series” or it’s equivalent I can only conclude that site is a “fan” site in name alone. If only more people were Mario fans like me…
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Anapan wrote:I remember the MX2! Neat that you got that vintage and enjoy it.
You can enjoy doom at double resolution - 640x400 or 640x480 with the right recompilation (even the official Win95 build from 1996). The OG is locked to 320x200, so it will look low resolution despite your laptop running it effortlessly as the program is forced into that resolution due to the optimizations they precompiled it with.
If you want some suggestions of what your particular laptop can do, I'd enjoy the nostalgia and take part in a separate thread after you describe what exact hardware you acquired. I have found some recompilations of some games that I think your laptop might excel at running. It's always fun to push machines to their limit and enjoy the era of gaming they were designed for. The 2000s era is one of my favorites in PC gaming.

I apologies, I am very bad at naming graphics cards. I do not even know how it works. The one I have is MX230
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Heh, a very different card than I thought. I figured it'd be the laptop equivalent of the Geforce 2 MX, like the Geforce 2 Go, or whatever. Not that your current card can't play all those old games with the right tweaks. The goto place to find compatibility fixes for (often old and obscure) PC games to run their best on modern cards, as well as enhance them with new features is the PC Gaming Wiki.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

marurun wrote:Y’know folks, I think I might be the only Mario fan here.

I'm the only Lode Runner fan.

What they really need to do is make a video game that is a Lode Runner origin story...

It'd almost certainly be called "Lode Runner Origins" or maybe "Hudson Soft Presents: Hudson Origins: Lode Runner."
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Isn't Lode Runner itself actually Bomberman: Origins?
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

Anapan wrote:Isn't Lode Runner itself actually Bomberman: Origins?

You have it backwards, but that was the joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoLUzlZgei8
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Doh! Well, I bought Bomberman: Act Zero.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

Anapan wrote:Doh! Well, I bought Bomberman: Act Zero.

Lode Runner came out first, and the NES Bomberman re-used the enemy sprite from Lode Runner to be Bomberman, so a "real-world" interpretation would have Lode Runner being the prequel to Bomberman.

Incidentally, I consider the novel Ender's Game to be a prequel to Speaker for the Dead rather than Speaker for the Dead being a sequel even though Ender's Game was written first.

Orson Scott Card wrote the short-story version of Ender's Game and published it. Next, he started writing Speaker for the Dead as an unrelated story. Then he realized he wanted Ender to be the Speaker for the Dead, so he stopped what he was doing and re-wrote Ender's Game as a novel to it would fit better.

Maybe that's not a fair judgement, but I think it's pretty interesting.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Anapan wrote:Heh, a very different card than I thought. I figured it'd be the laptop equivalent of the Geforce 2 MX, like the Geforce 2 Go, or whatever. Not that your current card can't play all those old games with the right tweaks. The goto place to find compatibility fixes for (often old and obscure) PC games to run their best on modern cards, as well as enhance them with new features is the PC Gaming Wiki.

thanks for the link. I never had a problem running games from Steam or GOG. Those are the only sources I can get games from legit and cheap.