What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by noiseredux »

Funny Games is good. I assume you saw the US version?
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

noiseredux wrote:Funny Games is good. I assume you saw the US version?

I did, I saw it had middling reviews and was surprised. I guess the original is just much better?
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

The original is basically the same exact movie. It's kind of weird that he remade it. I like the US one tho.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I've been in a ScarJo Sci-Fi mood lately, so continuing the trend w/ the new Ghost In The Shell movie. It was actually better than I expected. I worried at first that they had ditched too much story in place of just action; but once the story really kicked in I enjoyed the ride much more. The visuals were also great.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Emoji Movie

Released: 2017
IMDB: 3/10
Rotten Tomatoes: 9% critics, 39% audience
Streaming on Netflix

I watch a lot of kids movies with my family that I don't post here. For example, I don't write up when I've watched Tangled for time 37 :lol:. We do have others here who have kiddos so if I watch a children's movie for the first time, especially if it's newer, I'll share it.

Emoji Movie (by Sony/Columbia) follows the emojis inside of a sixth grader's phone. The perspective jumps back and forth following both the "Meh" emoji and the sixth grader owning the phone. This movie's target audience seems to be that 9 to 14 year old group addicted to their phones/tablets. My soon to be 3 year old did enjoy it also. It has some slap stick humor and there's a ton of "smiley faces" interacting. It is not lacking poop jokes.

The visuals are very colorful but not overly inpressive. Maybe there was only so much they could do with emojis which are simple by nature.

As a parent, you'll laugh a few times. There's a couple of hidden humor moments for you. Some big name actors are voicing this one, you'll recognize including; TJ Miller, James Corden, Patrick Stewart, Ana Farris, & Maya Rudolf.

I can't help but think with all the real apps referenced, this movie will age terribly. Technology moves quick and apps with it.

This one is available of Netflix. I didn't mind streaming it on an existing streaming service I already have, but I wouldn't pay money specifically to rent it. If you have a "tween" or early teenager, I imagine they'd really enjoy it. Overall, I give it a "meh." :wink:

2018 Movies Watched
Count: 12
- January -
1. Hitman: Agent 47
2. Riddick (2013)*
3. Real Steel
4. Mission Impossible 4: Ghost Protocol
5. The Place Beyond the Pines
6. Spectral

- February -
7. Bright
8. 47 Meters Down
9. The Book of Eli
10. Project Almanac
11. Chicken Run
12. Emoji Movie

* Indicates a re-watch

My Retro Achievements | Games Beaten 2023 & 2024 |
xJAGOx = Xbox Gamertag | Console Mods
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

I’m not a horror fan at all but I enjoyed Funny Games. Well, enjoyed might be the wrong word; i found it very disturbing and the

Scene with the dead dog still haunts me.

. I think it was a good movie which is more than I can say about most horror movies I’ve seen.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

The interesting thing about that movie is the fourth wall breaking which is really jarring.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

I don't even really bother watching horror movies because they almost always are mediocre at best.

I'm in the middle of Sicario right now, I'll have to finish it tomorrow. Pretty good so far. Also saw Annihilation last night, and it was fucking WEIRD. I was super duper tired and hung over too,so it made it even harder to watch. Not my cup of tea.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

emoji movie is among the top worst films released in the past decade. It's even worse than an Adam Sandler film. It always looks bad but I thought maybe almost as bad as reviews say. I never had a movie make me sick to my stomach. I've watched so many horror films of simulated horrible things done to people but it's so rare a movie is just so terrible it makes you physically ill and not from anything disgusting in the movie. It's just awful beyond belief. This isn't Manos The Hands of Fate so bad it's entertaining. I actually had to take prescription nausea meds after that movie. I'm serious. (No I don't get sick easily just had some leftover from a while back). DO NOT see this film.

I also saw Thor Ragnarok. Feels like an 80s sci-fi with modern special effects. The music is amazing. From Zeppelin to the 80s synth. It's awesome. Great film. Best movie with Tor and Hulk in it.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

What? I never once got sick during the Emoji Movie. Nor did my wife or son. When you reference your apartment & collecting space available, could be wrong here, but I've never seen you mention kiddos. You'll be roped into watching some sub par material once you have children. I can honestly say Emoji was more entertaining for me than a ton of Disney and Netflix kids shows I've sat through. That's why what I wrote that short review entirely from a parenting perspective versus a random adult viewing. I can guarantee you my 12 year old niece would love it. Now is it good, no. Makes you realize how good Pixar really is.

My Retro Achievements | Games Beaten 2023 & 2024 |
xJAGOx = Xbox Gamertag | Console Mods