Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by RCBH928 »

Ah I see now... This confused me since AFAIK Nintendo doesn't do shared IP and their IPs are usually in house developed not by 3rd parties. This is the exception it seems.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

RCBH928 wrote:Ah I see now... This confused me since AFAIK Nintendo doesn't do shared IP and their IPs are usually in house developed not by 3rd parties. This is the exception it seems.

Nintendo has been known to work with third parties Star Fox (SNES) was co-developed by Argonaut Software. Kirby games are developed by HAL Laboratory. The three Donkey Kong Country games on the SNES were developed by Rare. DKC Returns and Tropical Freeze were developed by Retro Studios, who co-developed other Nintendo games like the Metroid Prime series and Mario Kart 7. There's probably more, those are just the ones I know off the top of my head.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I think his point is that those IPs aren’t co-owned, though. They may have been developed by others, but the IP is fully controlled by Nintendo. When Rare departed the Nintendo 2nd party stable, Nintendo retained the IP and let Retro develop it some. If Nintendo ever had a falling out with HAL, HAL would not get to take Kirby with them. Kirby would stay with Nintendo. Pokémon is a little different. In order to split, someone would have to buy out someone else.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

@Ziggy Now that you mention it I remembered, but you will have to forgive me since most of these are decades old so it went off my mind. HAL seems to be a Nintendo console dedicated developer and most of their games are Kirby titles. Retro Studios is a Nintendo subsidiary according to Wikipedia, so in house? That and what Marurun said.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

Is it just me or is there absolutely no rhyme or reason as to what games are expensive and which are not? I've been taking inventory of my ps1 and ps2 games that I just pulled out of storage and I cannot believe the prices on some of these games(more so ps1 than ps2)

I get some games shoot up in value if they are a "hidden gem" ie a game that sold like poop but is actually very good, stuff like klonoa on ps1 for example. Also as a general rule popular games tend to not be too expensive because they sold so well and there are tons of copies floating around of them, ie: games like contra and mario on NES tend to hover in the 20-30 range.

But the more I get into looking at retro game prices I just can't find any logic to it;

Why is Mario 64 and sunshine so expensive? They were probably some of the best selling games of their system how can they cost so much, this is doubly stupid when you consider they just got a moder re-release

Why is a shit game like countdown vampires on ps1 $100, it is complete trash in every sense of the word, how the hell are people paying such a price for this game?

How can castlevania symphony of the night cost $100? Sure it is a great game, but it sold well enough that there should not be such a scarcity.

This is more of a rant than anything else, but I just do not understand the logic of retro game pricing, especially for ps1 games. Do yourself a favor, go to pricecharting.com and look up random ps1 games, it will completely blow you away on how stupidly overpriced these games, many of which are barely playable by todays standards, some of which were unplayable upon release.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

Don’t know what to tell you pook, that’s just the way it is now. That just comes with the territory of games being “collectible” nowadays.

—-
Unrelated, but what is my best bet for going through Japanese releases on older consoles? I use Gamefaqs, but I know there’s times where it’s missing games, and trying to google this stuff just brings up 1000 and 1 versions of “my top games on this system”. I’m specifically looking at PC Engine, Saturn, and PS1 right now, though I might look at PS2 at some point.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

@pook

When I joined this forum part of the attraction to retro games was that you can get awesome games for dirt cheap price, $3-10. My only guess is that as the gamer community grew and we started having "game culture" people who got their hands on this "brand new unopened" game from 20 years ago(still amazes me), they must thought it must be worth a fortune. So they listed it for $50, so the guys who owned a used copy thought "If the brand new one cost $50, then surely a used one can get me $30". People who are looking to buy this game look on ebay and find it listed for $100, must be thinking "This game is worth $100, must be a good investment I can not lose money on it as it gets older". And so it goes. All in all, people selling these games are probably making a good living and doing this on the side. They probably got their hands on these games dirt cheap, they don't need to sell the older it gets the more money it will fetch them. Basically they are hoarding them.

Honestly, you say that games had many prints but IIRC people used to dispose of older technology back then. I didn't know much of kids kept their NES cartridges by the time PS2 was out. On the other hand, how many people out there seek an original SNES cartridge of "WWF RAW"? If people are buying this stuff I think they are doing ti as a hobby like stamp collectors, they are not really in it to play the games. Seriously, did any one play his complete collection of console "x" ?
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Anyone planning to be TeamXbox next generation or are all going Playstation 5?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I was actually thinking about starting a thread to see if anyone here is even planning on getting a next gen console.

edit: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=53324
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Mega Man 2 exists, thus it will always win.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.