Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by RCBH928 »

MrPopo wrote:It also allows for a really nice level flow; you're zooming around at the top of the level, miss a jump, now you're on a second path and can keep going in a different way, rather than either dying or having to backtrack.

I never thought of it that way, I don't think Mario was designed like that, Mario was more one directional. I guess guys at Sega looked at Mario and said "Whatever Mario is, we will be the un-Mario". Pretty, interesting idea, multi paths to complete the level. I always thought of it more like 1 big level with many platforms.

I feel sorry for Sega that Sonic, due to the nature of the character, couldn't be transformed into 3D as well as Mario did but I will not take away the superb work Nintendo did into transforming him to 3D. I think we look at it now and say "Well thats easy" but back then they had to give it some serious thought. I don't believe many platformers succeeded in their 3D transition, but we still get new Mario games!
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

I think Sonic could have made the transition to 3d well, I mean most people enjoyed Sonic adv 1 and 2 and most enjoyed the 3d levels in generations. I think the issue is that sega started getting too gimmicky and focusing on all the lame-o characters in the sonic universe rather than sonic himself. Did we really need big the cat levels? Did we really need a shadow the hedgehog game? Did we really need a sonic game where he had a sword?

Nintendo is successful because they stay true to their characters roots and strengths and focus on solid, pure gameplay experiences. They also release their games sparingly, there were more 3d sonic games on the wii than there were 3d mario games, and when you churn out titles that rapidly quality then begins to suffer.

@MrPopo: you are right that not many platforming franchises made the successful leap to 3d. Obviously Mario crushed it, I'm sure there has to be a few more but I am completely drawing a blank. ..just thought of DK, although I did not like DK64 it was a pretty popular game and very well recieved. But when I think about the big early platformers many of them were new (spyro, jak/daxter, banjo/kazooie etc)
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

pook99 wrote:I think Sonic could have made the transition to 3d well, I mean most people enjoyed Sonic adv 1 and 2 and most enjoyed the 3d levels in generations. I think the issue is that sega started getting too gimmicky and focusing on all the lame-o characters in the sonic universe rather than sonic himself. Did we really need big the cat levels? Did we really need a shadow the hedgehog game? Did we really need a sonic game where he had a sword?

Nintendo is successful because they stay true to their characters roots and strengths and focus on solid, pure gameplay experiences. They also release their games sparingly, there were more 3d sonic games on the wii than there were 3d mario games, and when you churn out titles that rapidly quality then begins to suffer.

@MrPopo: you are right that not many platforming franchises made the successful leap to 3d. Obviously Mario crushed it, I'm sure there has to be a few more but I am completely drawing a blank. ..just thought of DK, although I did not like DK64 it was a pretty popular game and very well recieved. But when I think about the big early platformers many of them were new (spyro, jak/daxter, banjo/kazooie etc)

I thought critics were not happy with Sonic adv. , at least not as happy as they were will Mario64 which is an all time classic. I don't blame Sega, because I myself have nothing in mind that I can tell you how they could have done it better.

I didn't play DK64, but i heard it was a good game that made the transition well. I was trying to think of other 2D platformers that made it well into 3D.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Sonic Adventure had a lot of flaws, but when it worked it worked well. Sega’s problem was they tried to diversify gameplay too much with completely disparate control and play styles and didn’t have good camera behavior or controls.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

pook99 wrote:@MrPopo: you are right that not many platforming franchises made the successful leap to 3d. Obviously Mario crushed it, I'm sure there has to be a few more but I am completely drawing a blank. ..just thought of DK, although I did not like DK64 it was a pretty popular game and very well recieved. But when I think about the big early platformers many of them were new (spyro, jak/daxter, banjo/kazooie etc)

Metroid is another one that transitioned well, but it completely skipped a console generation to do so.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

A few other platforming franchises that made the leap quite well are Rayman and Gex.

I think a lot of platforming franchises weren't really that successful to begin with tbh, so faced with making the gameplay vastly different in 3D, many of them opted to try their hand with new mascots.

I also think that the changing age demographic of consoles meant that many of them were looking to make new franchises to appeal to older players.

marurun wrote:Sonic Adventure had a lot of flaws, but when it worked it worked well. Sega’s problem was they tried to diversify gameplay too much with completely disparate control and play styles and didn’t have good camera behavior or controls.

I think this is the classic 3D sonic problem at play personally. Sonic's thing is going fast, but that means he covers ground quickly, resulting in very large maps needing created for very short amounts of gameplay. Sonic Team has essentially spent the past 25 years trying to figure out how to make a game with enough bang for buck to seem worth full price whilst not costing them a fortune in asset creation to make.

The purpose of the 6 playable characters and multiple game modes was probably more about trying to reuse assets and extend run time than anything.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

MrPopo wrote:
pook99 wrote:@MrPopo: you are right that not many platforming franchises made the successful leap to 3d. Obviously Mario crushed it, I'm sure there has to be a few more but I am completely drawing a blank. ..just thought of DK, although I did not like DK64 it was a pretty popular game and very well recieved. But when I think about the big early platformers many of them were new (spyro, jak/daxter, banjo/kazooie etc)

Metroid is another one that transitioned well, but it completely skipped a console generation to do so.

Actually Metroid changed genre into FPS, I wouldn't say Metroid Prime is a 3D platformer.

alienjesus wrote:I think this is the classic 3D sonic problem at play personally. Sonic's thing is going fast, but that means he covers ground quickly, resulting in very large maps needing created for very short amounts of gameplay. Sonic Team has essentially spent the past 25 years trying to figure out how to make a game with enough bang for buck to seem worth full price whilst not costing them a fortune in asset creation to make.

The purpose of the 6 playable characters and multiple game modes was probably more about trying to reuse assets and extend run time than anything.

Did Sonic 3D Blast work? its not really 3D its more isometric, which I am not sure if it is classified as 3D or 2D.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

I think Metroid Prime is far more of a platformer/adventure/metroidvania than a FPS, it is also one of, if not the, only first person game that handles platforming really well, it all felt very natural despite the perspective

I never played sonic 3d blast, I don't think it was well received but I could be wrong.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Yeah, given the combat is entirely lock on based (until 3) I'd say Prime series is a first person platformer.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

MrPopo wrote:Yeah, given the combat is entirely lock on based (until 3) I'd say Prime series is a first person platformer.

Thats a new genre, I thought FPS is related to perspective despite the name. It complicates things with Minecraft which uses the FPS perspective but it doesn't shoot anything AFAIK. There is also Jumping Flash which has shooting element but in reality its more about platform jumping. Oblivion has FPS perspective but you don't have to shoot you can use a melee weapon.