Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by RCBH928 »

Markies wrote:
PartridgeSenpai wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:Nintendo is releasing Mario Kart for mobile devices,
if they continue with this I won't be surprised if they over take Sony as the #1 videogame industry leader.

For the fun of it I looked up the Market Cap for Nintendo and Sony, they are 50B and 70B relatively. This does not sound right, Sony is so much larger of a corporation than Nintendo. If anyone understands stocks please do explain.

I don't know much about stocks (although all the mystery still surrounding the PSV's hardware and launch price, as well as the good previews of the Switch Lite and several recent Nintendo games may be contributing to that a little?), but I do know that Sony's video game sector is frequently the most or only profitable part of their business these days. These days, they're more a video game company who happens to make more hardware and movies sometimes, rather than the other way around.

Patridge is completely right.

Sony USED to be so much bigger, but look at what they were profitable on.

Music.
CD's.
Movies.
Televisions.
Stereos.
Electronics.

All of these have shrank considerably in the last 20 years or so. Sony does some business elsewhere, but they make most of their money off the Playstation brand.

Sony is like 1 of the 5 major Hollywood studios and 1 of the 3 major music studios, not to mention the extremely wide range of electronics manufacturing. When you compare that to Nintendo which is still the 3rd console manufacturer in the current console race it just makes you think. Nintendo was always seen as the little guy compared to Microsoft and Sony.

I really had it the other way around, I thought they were not making much from the videogame industry or losing on it. I thought they were raking huge amounts from their movie and music business. The next console battle does not look too favourably of Playstation either, as Nintendo is gearing up, Stadia is coming in, things are getting more multi-platform which gives the upper hand for Microsoft which owns the PC OS, consoles, laptops, and the cloud server businesses needed for the new streaming and online gameplay.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

I wouldn't be too quick to count Sony out. American and European audiences really like the PlayStation ecosystem, and even looking at the big name Japanese third parties (Capcom, Swuare Enix, From Software)- they prefer Sony to Nintendo as of current. Microsoft is currently pushing more of their stuff on to PC, which opens another huge revenue stream, but also makes buying an Xbox less interesting. If you want a power pushing console, that makes the next PlayStation more interesting. Sony's main style of game this generation, cinematic third person action adventure stuff, is also a huge hit with a lot of people. (God knows why)

Plus, we have no idea how Stadia or the like will do. I don't doubt it will be successful, I just don't think it pulls from the same pool of customers as traditional consoles do.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
marurun

Post by marurun »

So, 2018-2019, Sony’s movie and music divisions, together, almost generated as much profit as the PlayStation division. Almost. Their consumer hardware divisions are profitable, but only slightly. Still, that helps maintain the household Sony name.

https://wccftech.com/sony-2018-19-finan ... r-results/
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Yakuza 7 papers to have turn based combat. I don't know how to feel about that. Initial reaction is mostly negative from me.

PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Forlorn Drifter wrote:Yakuza 7 papers to have turn based combat. I don't know how to feel about that. Initial reaction is mostly negative from me.

I'm pretty okay with Yakuza taking a new direction, at least for a try. We've had some 15 Yakuza games in the old style over nearly as many years. That studio must be burned out to hell on making those kinds of Yakuza games. I'm totally up for giving those guys a chance to try out something new. Who knows, maybe it'll make the brawler games even more fun~
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

I have no trouble with them doing something different, I don't see why it wasn't done in a new IP though. No skin off my bones, I already have enough Yakuza, it's just not for me.

RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Forlorn Drifter wrote:I wouldn't be too quick to count Sony out. American and European audiences really like the PlayStation ecosystem, and even looking at the big name Japanese third parties (Capcom, Swuare Enix, From Software)- they prefer Sony to Nintendo as of current. Microsoft is currently pushing more of their stuff on to PC, which opens another huge revenue stream, but also makes buying an Xbox less interesting. If you want a power pushing console, that makes the next PlayStation more interesting. Sony's main style of game this generation, cinematic third person action adventure stuff, is also a huge hit with a lot of people. (God knows why)

Plus, we have no idea how Stadia or the like will do. I don't doubt it will be successful, I just don't think it pulls from the same pool of customers as traditional consoles do.

I am just saying the PS does not seem to have a competitive advantage next time around. They usually win with their advanced hardware (CD based, DVD player, 3-gen backward compatibility, Wifi) and their system seller exclusives. I don't see how hardware power will play a role, and unless they come up with a system sellers like Halo and FFVII, I don't see having "exclusives" will help them much as it is not helping XboxOne and it didn't help WiiU either.

marurun wrote:So, 2018-2019, Sony’s movie and music divisions, together, almost generated as much profit as the PlayStation division. Almost. Their consumer hardware divisions are profitable, but only slightly. Still, that helps maintain the household Sony name.

https://wccftech.com/sony-2018-19-finan ... r-results/

its mind boggling to think videogames are bigger business than movie studios and music combined. I remember when they were seen something closer to kids toys with games like Battletoads. One thing I learned out of this is that Nintendo's Mario is as cute as Disney's Mickey Mouse.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

@BoneSnap: that makes me excited, I really liked projareds content
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I don't know how Beyond Two Souls is classified, is it a game? an interactive movie? Modern Point-Click? QTE? What I know is that its engaging and entertaining and very very well made. Its like living in a good TV series instead of watching it.

This is coming from someone who is action oriented when it comes to videogames and hates QTE and Point-and-Click games.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

RCBH928 wrote:I don't know how Beyond Two Souls is classified, is it a game? an interactive movie? Modern Point-Click? QTE? What I know is that its engaging and entertaining and very very well made. Its like living in a good TV series instead of watching it.

This is coming from someone who is action oriented when it comes to videogames and hates QTE and Point-and-Click games.

Reminds me of... viewtopic.php?f=49&t=52769