Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by RCBH928 »

pook99 wrote:I also hate long winded tutorials on simple games, good indie games just have signs in the background showing you what you can do and a simple obstacle that teaches you how to navigate that skill, I cannot stand long tutorial levels with long winded dialogue like " you can fire your weapon by pressing x, try firing your weapon now to blow that robot away" I'm like yeah, I played video games before I don't need a tutorial on how to jump and attack just show me what I can do and I'm good to go.

I completely agree with you, but I think businesses in general approach customers with the mindset that they are seeing or experience their product for the first time ever. I have seen some really common sense instruction in some pamphlets. Stuff as simple as showing where to insert an AUX cable with a diagram.

I believe the best tutorial format is the one that implements it in the game, teaching you things as they come up. Not having a dedicated tutorial level. Its better when they make it like its part of the game, like buying a gun from a store and the salesman tells you how to use it.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:I've been playing Mother 3 on my Japanese Wii U eShop, and I only noticed booting it up this time that it flashes the Gameboy Player logo at the start. I wonder if that's why these GBA games never made it to the 3DS eShops: different emulation solutions? That still doesn't explain why there are GB/GBC games on the 3DS eShop and not on the Wii U's, granted, but I really wish they'd made a bit more of an effort to make those two storefronts have nearly equal libraries. Or at least I wish everything on 3DS had been put on Wii U, the more powerful hardware (at least until the Wii U stopped being relevant). Why not GB/GBC games on mah BIG TV?

I'm with you.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

We can't make any sense out of Nintendo's "decisions." We just can't.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Anyone ever have that moment where you're doing well at a game, only to have one boss trash you?

That was my experience with Final Fight 3 yesterday. I made it to the final boss and would have beaten the game, except that I spent all of my continues getting completely thrashed by the second to last boss, some dick with brass knuckles who could knock off over half my health with a single sliding punch that he was really fond of. I beat him on the last continue, and then I made it to the final boss with no health and 0 lives, and still nearly kicked his ass. Would probably have done it if it hadn't been for that one guy. I guess I'll give it another go in a few days, but I am definitely annoyed.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Ack wrote:Anyone ever have that moment where you're doing well at a game, only to have one boss trash you?

Not a boss, but a map. I'm getting my Fire Emblem on and this most recent map decides midway through to spawn some suicidal NPCs on the other end of the map, which the enemies then make a beeline towards and I must protect. So rather than my usual "carefully draw enemies out so I don't overextend" I now have to rush at it myself. I'm going to need to switch up my party composition for more movement as well.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

Ack wrote:Anyone ever have that moment where you're doing well at a game, only to have one boss trash you?

That was my experience with Final Fight 3 yesterday. I made it to the final boss and would have beaten the game, except that I spent all of my continues getting completely thrashed by the second to last boss, some dick with brass knuckles who could knock off over half my health with a single sliding punch that he was really fond of. I beat him on the last continue, and then I made it to the final boss with no health and 0 lives, and still nearly kicked his ass. Would probably have done it if it hadn't been for that one guy. I guess I'll give it another go in a few days, but I am definitely annoyed.

yes, this is way too common in indie games. In many indie games the final boss is just a huge difficulty jump over the rest of the game, it is incredibly frustrating and often ruins what is otherwise a good experience. I have fallen prey to this more times than I care to mention, one example that really stands out is tiny barbarian. The game is a moderately challenging and fun action platformer and then the last boss is just a ridiculous difficulty spike full of RNG and just completely ruins the game.

I don't know if it is a mark of an inexperienced designer or if it is intentional but it certainly is really annoying.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Ack wrote:I am definitely annoyed.

"Annoyed," Ack? I don't want to hear this. You're a video game barbarian who crushes cartridges under foot, and revels in hearing the lamentations of their partners. I want to feel the rage from your blood boiling at the insolence of Final Fight 3. Get mad, Ack! Get mad, get back in there, and show that jerk what happens when you're disrespected!

Also, yes. I can't think of specific examples, but I feel like it happens a fair amount where one boss just has my number, but otherwise I do all right. Actually that was definitely the case with the final boss of Super Wagyan Land, but that was a very different kind of "fight."
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I think its a common "trope" to have a maximum challenge before the final one, I believe this is used in James Bond movies when 007 face the villain's side-kick. Sometimes its not before the final one, just a specifically most difficult task. There is always that 1 tough enemy or 1 tough level.

I get specifically annoyed when you face an opponent and you think you figured his routine, only to find 75% in the battle that he shoots rockets from space which you didn't prepare for and now you have to start all over again because of something you didn't know and its just not fair. Especially with bosses that suddenly have an attack that can take a significant amount of your life while you were thinking you can make it with just 40% life.
Ack

Post by Ack »

pierrot wrote:
Ack wrote:I am definitely annoyed.

"Annoyed," Ack? I don't want to hear this. You're a video game barbarian who crushes cartridges under foot, and revels in hearing the lamentations of their partners. I want to feel the rage from your blood boiling at the insolence of Final Fight 3. Get mad, Ack! Get mad, get back in there, and show that jerk what happens when you're disrespected!

Also, yes. I can't think of specific examples, but I feel like it happens a fair amount where one boss just has my number, but otherwise I do all right. Actually that was definitely the case with the final boss of Super Wagyan Land, but that was a very different kind of "fight."

Hey, I'm just testing carts here. The bloodlust comes after the games are all tested and verified.

Then the pain begins.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

@ack: who are you using in final fight 3? I always found that haggar does a good job of crushing everything and I think all the games are much easier if your using him.

What other games can we think of where the second to last boss is harder than the final boss? The grim reaper in the castlevania series is the first thing that pops into my mind as he is almost always significantly harder than dracula.

Krang is definitely harder than super shredder in turtles in time, not that krang is hard but shredder is mind numbingly easy in that game.

Speaking of TMNT, the technodrome fight is much harder than the shredder fight in the original nes game

Willy is harder than jimmy lee on NES double dragon

What else?