20. Fantasy Zone II: The Tears of Opa-Opa 3DS
21. SteamWorld Dig 3DS eShop
22. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Switch *NEW*

Replays!:
1. Bare Knuckle III Mega Drive
2. Die Hard Arcade Saturn
3. The World of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck Mega Drive

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the wild

Everyone and their mother has written a review of this on this thread, so I’m just gonna skip over explaining the story and gameplay and summerise my thoughts on what I liked and disliked about the game, followed by putting out my final throughts.

5 things I like

1. Lets go wherever I like

The freedom to explore in this Zelda game is unmatched, and it feels great to be able to see something off in the distance that looks interesting, and know that you can go there, now if you like, nothing’s gonna stop you. Sure, you might have some difficulty with the enemies or you might need to do some cooking or something to prepare for the climate, or the climb, but you still have the ability to make that choice. You’ll likely be rewarded too, with new weapons, korok seeds, or a shrine to find. The game does a very good job of encouraging you to explore, at least in the early stages.

2. Shrines are fun

I like the Shrines. They feel like little sidequest puzzles, the likes of which existed in previous Zelda games, but not on this scale. The puzzle variety using the games physics engine is quite broad, and although they’re not all winners, I always enjoyed finding a new shrine to attempt. I was sometimes disappointed if they just turned out to be yet another bloody Test Of Strength though – they just felt like filler.

3. Constant progression

The Zelda series has always been a series with a good sense of progression as you journey from 3 heart wonder to terror of moblins everywhere, but I wasn’t sure how well the sense of progression would carry over to an open-world game, especially with the ‘dungeon items’ taken away. I needn’t have worried, because this Zelda games has so much to find that makes you feel like you’re constantly growing. Working towards new hearts (which actually feel valuable this time), extra stamina, more weapon slots, better weapons and the likes is really nice, and the game also makes those feel valuable as they start getting bonuses, and as the enemies start to scale up in difficulty over time. I will say though, that sometimes it got tiring seeing that the enemies had ranked up to your new power, meaning your newly acquired weapons felt underpowered compared to where you had been before.

4. Genuinely challenging start

I actually got a few game overs in this one. Finding out that enemies actually stood a good chance of killing you in this game was a defining part of the experience, and a refreshing change for a series that has been altogether too easy for sometime now. The difficulty ramps off towards the end as you get to your fully powered state, and the divine beast bosses are too easy no matter when you take them on, but I’m happy the game managed to present a challenge sometimes.

5. Creative use of runes and items

No dungeon items is a bummer, but the runes at least managed to offer a lot of utility, and it was interesting to see how many ways they could be used, and how the game trusted you to use them how you please for the most part. I personally rarely used the stasis rune, but I’ve seen some people use it in incredible ways. Allowing 2 separate bombs that could be remote detonated at will offered a lot of utility for their use too. I also like how weapons like the Korok leaf, magic rods, bomb arrows, boomerangs and all offered plenty of utility, and how they put in some fun novelties like the octo balloon to just let you play around and see what you could make happen.

5 things I don’t

1. They should've used cool travel options more

Being able to go wherever I want was undoubtedly cool, but the ways to get there were incredibly disappointing. Both the horse riding and shield surfing were some of the coolest elements of the game, and they were universally underutilised to ridiculous degrees. Shield surfing shredded shields so fast that you couldn’t really make use of it til later in the game when you could carry plenty of spares with plenty of durability. It also only really worked well on grassy, snowy or sandy terrain, and there were far too many rocky mountains to get the best use out of it. Mountains were also a reason Horse riding was limited, as there wasn’t enough flat ground to make it feel satisfying, and you were constantly needing to get off the horse to check out a potential Korok puzzle, or climb a nearby mountain and see what was there, or the path would just be awkwardly narrow and you’d ride your horse off a cliff. Horses were pointless despite being fun to use. Lastly, the seal surfing in the Gerudo Desert was awesome, but every time I went into a shrine, my seal would disappear, and I’d have to go all the way back to the Gerudo town, change my clothes, and rent another. That sucks majorly, as again, it punishes you for stopping to explore. All these methods of travel are awesome, and all of them were implemented in a mediocre way that left me running everywhere slowly, or climbing and gliding whenever I could.

2. Fuck mountains

Speaking of climbing, fuck mountains. There are altogether too many of them in this game. It’s cool that you can climb everywhere, but 90% of the game was cliff faces and mountains, and it got ridiculous. The game was already enormous without spending hours hanging off of the side of a wall as you slowly crawl up it. I wore the climbers gear for 95% of the game, because there was little reason to take it off. Climbing was slow and tedious, running out of stamina whilst doing so was really shitty, and FUCK the rain. Spending 2 hours exploring a mountain whilst spending 45 minutes of that waiting for the rain to stop was not the most fun way to encourage exploration game. Even worse is that the sheer cliff faces rarely offered cover to light a fire to pass time when raining, so you would literally just have to sit there and wait it out. If they’re doing more Zelda games in this style, I hope they keep a lot more things at ground level and let me ride my horse instead of wasting time climbing EVERYTHING.

3. Exploring becomes less worth it as you progress

This game has a good sense of progression for sure, but it also suffers badly from diminishing returns. Every stamina guage boost is a godsend, and the first few hearts are truly treasured too, as they increase your survivability a ton. At a certain point though, they stop being exciting, as the difference between 20 hearts and 21 might as well be nothing. Weapons suffer too – shrine reward me with base 40 dual handed swords gets underwhelming when I’m packing 12 weapons of power 52 or more. This is especially apparent in the main story areas where the regional weapons (Zora Spears, Kite Shields, Drill shafts, etc) are universally awful if you’re more than 20 or so shrines into the game. Rarely are the treasures in shrines worth the effort after you get halfway through the game, as the random stuff you find outside them is so much better. It quickly becomes a game where you search for shrines to get orbs, and koroks to get seeds, because new weapons are rarely worth it.

4. Dungeon areas are rubbish

Dungeons are my favourite part of the Zelda series, and the dungeons in Breath of the wild are rubbish. They’re repetitive, often requiring looping around certain sections multiple times. They’re small, with wide open rooms containing not a whole lot. They’re irritating, with lots of slow waiting for parts to move when you modify them on the map. The bosses are unmemorable and easy, the rewards for beating them are nice but not exciting and frankly, they should go back to the old formula for dungeons next time, dungeon items and all.

5. Too much boss repetition

This is a short one, but damn, I got bored of fighting Lynels, Taluses and Hinoxes. Yawn. Even worse, Lynels often seemed to come in threes next to each other, so after one 10 minute Lynel fight, it was straight into another if you were being thorough. The excitement of fighting them quickly wears off by the 5th, 10th, 15th time of fighting one. More variety would be nice.

Overall, I really liked Breath of the Wild. Open world games aren’t typically my genre, and this game was an exception to the rule. I put 130 hours into it, got all the shrines and did all of the sidequests. But, unlike most of you, this isn’t my favourite Zelda title. In fact, I don’t think it breaks my top 5. The fact is, I adore the classic Zelda formula. Not many games do Zelda like Zelda did, and now it seems that not even Zelda is going to do Zelda like Zelda did, and that makes me sad. One hundred-hour long adventure is plenty for me for now, and I’d like to see them maybe alternate between the classic style and modern style games if they plan to continue this path, although I doubt they will. I really enjoyed Breath of the Wild, but what it represents for the games actually makes me sad, rather than being an exciting new evolution for the series like it is for most.

BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Excellent analysis AJ! I am glad you enjoyed the game!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I think all your complaints are pretty valid. I still loved it, but it wasn't perfect. The longer-form dungeons were the thing I missed most.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I was thinking it was Sarge, along with myself, that can defend the old formula with you as well AJ. So you're not alone on that. On one hand it's amazing to have 5 games of the original 3D format, or even 7 if the 3DS remakes count as well, so that's a lot of great content and plenty for me to go back and replay. But yeah, even if I'd give Breath of the Wild an 11/10, I will still miss the old linear format and dungeon focus. It would be neat if they could fork out a new branch of Zelda that caters to the older style. I mean, they've been pushing out more Zelda games than before thesedays but stuff like Four Swords or Hyrule Warriors doesn't interest me at all. Mario gets the New line, the 64/Galaxy styled games, and then 3D World/Land, so it would be cool to see some other new Zelda's focusing on different things. But I'm looking forward to the next BoTW styled game and hope they can work out some of the kinks. It was still a magical experience for me though and I was totally lost in that world. I can't remember the last time a game gave me that feeling. So it's an interesting mix of emotions.

Personally I don't agree much on your negatives, but to each their own of course!

1 - I used a horse once. From the start I knew it was fruitless, so never bothered again. No issue for me. lol

2. Didn't mind the mountains honestly, despite most. I would just cook up a fire and sleep to pass the rain, or explore more to find new ways around the area. I like how alive the world felt, but I guess I'm in the minority here. It just never really seemed to be a huge issue. Though it took me awhile to realize if you don't move, your stamina doesn't drain while climbing. I thought it was a constant drain for the longest time.

3. I didn't mind this because exploring the world was more than rewarding itself for me. Seeing new areas and terrain was the real treasure.

4. Agreed on this, although I liked the four Divine Beast dungeons, they aren't a good fill in for true dungeons. I think if this game, or perhaps the next, had these things with REAL dungeons on top of these and the shrines, it would have been mindblowingly perfect. I liked the gimmick of moving the dungeons around, even though it's been done already and in more complex form. How about those giant maze islands? Imagine if those were more intricately designed into like a real dungeon with tricks and traps, puzzles, etc. That would have been incredible.

5. Agreed, overall I think the enemy roster leaves a bit to be desired and I wish there was more enemy types. The combat shrines especially, were really throwaway after awhile. It was pretty lame you only fight that one mechanical enemy throughout all of them. They certainly could have done more with the mecha and brought in more classic Zelda enemies. The bosses themselves were all pretty cool, but rather easy.

And in retrospect, it's one of the weakest stories in the franchise by miles, not to mention I absolutely hated Zelda's English voice, but apparently I'm in the minority on that. But this game made me think of Souls in a lot of awesome ways. The atmosphere and world setting told a better story than the actual narrative, but still... coming off of Skyward Sword which I think is one of the best and most charmingly endearing Zelda stories and interpretations of Zelda herself, it was a monster downgrade.

I'm laughing at the first bit of major DLC is trials. Does anyone seriously give a crap about this stuff in these? I didn't bother with the Wolf amiibo extra stuff in TP HD as well. The combat isn't exactly why most of us play these, methinks.

Anyways yeah, OoT will always be king, but I look forward to seeing what they do with the BoTW formula from here on and look forward to replaying the Switch version someday. I pretty much never say that about open world 100+ hour games, but I'm seriously stoked to replay this down the road. I'd have a hard time picking my #2 for the 3D games, it's a tough one between TP, SS, and BoTW. Each have their own strengths.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Of the 3D ones, I think every single one you mentioned is up there for my favorite, just for different reasons. They're all great. Ocarina is very well balanced, and doesn't overstay its welcome. And the 3DS remake in particular brings it up to the level of the others. Twilight is like Super Ocarina. Skyward does, as someone on another board described it, the "oops, all dungeons" thing. And BotW best captures the spirit of the original NES game, with some concessions to modernity. It gets easy as you get further in, but then, so did the original game in my mind.

I'm still ridiculously partial to the 2D entries, though, and particularly A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening. The 3D games get close to those two, but just not quite there.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

My only complaint with mountains/climbing is that it rains every forty fucking seconds.
Patron Saint of Bitch Mode
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I think I've always kind of liked the best of the 3D ones equally to the overhead games, even though Link to the Past is my favorite game of all time (along with Super Metroid...)

Unfortuantelly, I hated Phantom Hourglass and didn't bother with Spirit Tracks since it looked like more of the same. And I didn't think Minish Cap was that great. LA and the Capcom games were amazing but it sadly seems like those kind of Zelda's are over. So for me it's been a decade plus into this trend, the 3D games kept being awesome while the old 2D ones slipped up big time. Wind Waker is my least favorite of the 3D games, but I'd still easily take that over the newer handheld ones. I want to replay Minish Cap sometime, but yeah.

I know there's Link Between Worlds, but the aesthetics still turn me off a lot. Kind of like the New Mario line which Nintendo seems to love and keep going. Heck, even the new 3DS remake of Metroid 2 doesn't look that good visually to me. It's a picky and silly thing to complain about, maybe it's just me or I'm that extremely biased for pixel art, but yeah. I seriously wish all the new 2D styled Nintendo games looked completely different...

Anyways, I don't want to complain about finally getting some Metroid again haha, and I'm excited to finally get a 3DS probably sometime this year and can finally get to Link Between Worlds and the two remakes. Super excited.

Sorry you have a novel to catch up on AJ. But Zelda makes me talky. :lol: :roll:
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Link Between Worlds does look a bit cheap, which made me think, "Oh, there goes Nintendo with a cash grab." But it's a legit amazing entry in the series.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Sarge wrote:Link Between Worlds does look a bit cheap, which made me think, "Oh, there goes Nintendo with a cash grab." But it's a legit amazing entry in the series.

It's the best of the handheld entries IMO. I know most folks are going to say that's Link's Awakening, but I preferred Link Between Worlds.
Patron Saint of Bitch Mode
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Review 2 and 3 of 6 time!

Games Beaten:
1. 3D Power Drift 3DS
2. Maze Hunter 3-D 3DS
3. Hyrule Warriors Legends 3DS
4. Icarus Proudbottom's World of Typing Weekly PC
5. Paper Mario N64
6. Catherine PS3
7. Glover N64
8. Blast Corps N64
9. Snipperclips: Cut It Out, Together! Switch eShop
10. Pullblox 3DS eShop
11. Pokémon Picross 3DS eShop
12. Bare Knuckle III Mega Drive
13. The Legend of the Mystical Ninja SNES
14. Alisia Dragoon Mega Drive
15. Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master Mega Drive
16. Dynamite Headdy Mega Drive
17. Runbow Wii U eShop
18. The Mystical Ninja starring Goemon N64
19. 3D Puyo Puyo 2 3DS
20. Fantasy Zone II: The Tears of Opa-Opa 3DS
21. SteamWorld Dig 3DS eShop
22. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Switch
23. Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped PS1 *NEW*
24. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time GC *NEW*

Replays!:
1. Bare Knuckle III Mega Drive
2. Die Hard Arcade Saturn
3. The World of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck Mega Drive

Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped

Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped is a platformer for Playstation (as if you guys didn’t know), and was the first game I beat for this year’s summer game challenge.

The story goes that the evil mask counterpart to Crash’s buddy Aku-Aku has awoken. Uka-Uka, apparently, was behind the actions of Dr. Neo Cortx all along, and is angry that Cortex has failed him. So with the help of Dr. N.Tropy, they do something with time travel and attempt to do something with crystals or something, I don’t know. It’s not clearly explained in game and I found it hard to care, particularly because I find the cast of the Crash Bandicoot games to be genuinely awful. Dingo-dile? What the fuck is that, jesus.

Anyhow, being the third game in the Crash series, Naughty Dog clearly wanted to spice things up from the usual mix of ‘running into the screen’ 3D platforming and 2.5D style sections, and decided to throw in a bunch of alternate play modes. This isn’t unusual for the series, which featured run away from the boulder’ levels and ‘ride the pig at top speed’ levels een in it’s debut incarnation, as well as other gameplay gimmicks like jetpacks in Crash 2, but it’s dialled up to 11 here. More than half of the levels in the game actually don’t feature the standard platforming.

The new gameplay mechanics are a mixed bag. Underwater levels with weird submarine jetski things are OK for a water level, if unexciting and a bit irritating. The tiger riding stages (which are just like the pig stage in Crash 1) are fun. Stages where you ride a Jetski are OK, but nothing special, and the same goes from the weird dogfighting pilot stages. There’s a dinosaur you can ride in one level, though god knows why as it adds nothing, and there’s also stages where you run from charging dinosaurs which are OK, but the view of what obstacles are coming are too small. They’re all decent enough, but inferior to the normal platforming stages. There’s one other novelty stage though, and that’s the fucker.

On some stages, you can ride a motorbike as Crash Bandicoot. These were heavily featured in the games marketing back in the day. They’re also absolutely dire. The controls are shit, the hit detection is shit, and the stages require you to come first in a race to win. The difficulty of them is sky high compared to every other level, and the second one in particular took me over a dozen attempts to finally beat, and it wasn’t fun at all. Crash Team racing this is not.

The standard platforming levels were the highlight, as you might expect. The difficult can be a little high, but the game throws lives at you by the fistful, so you’re never in danger of getting a game over. Crash can run, jump and spin attack as usual, as well as crawl and slide, which weren’t in the original, but maybe they were in 2 (I’ve not played that one)? After each world you get an additional power up to make Crash even more capable. World 1 gives a body slam that lets you break steel crates, as well as take out groups of crates en masse. World 2 offers a double jump, which gives a little extra boost if yuu’re about to miss a ledge, but it cancels out your momentum a lot, so it’s not as great as you might hope. World 3 gives you the tornado spin, allowing you to glide by mashing the spin attack button mid-jump, which is very very useful. World 4 offers a fruit bazooka, which is ridiculously overpowered, allowing you to attack enemies at range and take out nitro boxes without dying. Lastly, world 5 gives you speed shoes, which I imagine are good for the games speed runs, but I didn’t bother with those.

The problem with Crash Bandicoot 3 is that all the novelty levels don’t work. They’re competent at best, and you quickly start wishing for normal platforming levels. The problem then is that, frankly, normal Crash Bandicoot platforming levels aren’t that great either. They’re decent, don’t get me wrong, but I can’t help feel that Crash got by on his attitude and the popularity of the Playstation, rather than by the games quality. There are dozens of better platformers from the same generation, and Crash just doesn’t stand out as being worth playing today compared to the alternatives.

Crash 3 was an OK game, I had an OK time with it. But it hasn’t evolved from Crash 1 in any meaningful ways, just filling it’s run time with shitty stage gimmicks that aren’t any fun. Crash 2 is often described as the best, but based on the previous game and the following game, I’m not sure I’ll bother. Crash Bandicoot died after PS1, and it’s often blamed on the new developers and publishers that put out the following games. Personally, I just don’t think the series had enough to offer to keep it sustained.

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time is an action platformer for PS2, Xbox and Gamecube, the latter of which is the system I played the game on. It was the second game I beat for my Summer Game Challenge list.

The Prince of Persia stars the titular unnamed protagonist, an incredibly unlikeable character, who ransacks an indian palace with his fathers army, steals their magic dagger, the sands of time, and then inadvertently fucks the world up by releasing the Sands of Time, turning his fathers army into weird sand zombies and cursing the world. That;s what he gets for listening to Viziers, everyone knows they’re evil!

The quest then follows the prince as he tries to stop the Vizier from doing something (kinda unclear, not sure his plan is ever properly explained) and Farah, the Indian king’s daughter who was taken as a slave, as they try to undo the damage caused. The Prince is saved by the dagger, and Farah by her necklace, so they’re the only 2 left alive other than the Grand Vizier who kinda caused the mess, but not really because the Prince did all the work. Good job breaking it, hero!

The game is split between 2 gameplay styles – platforming and combat, and is probably about equally weighted between both. One style is notably better than the other though!

The prince is very nimble, and is capable of running up or along walls, wall jumping, swinging from poles, climbing pillars and otherwise being a free-running badass. It’s all pretty easy to control, with A being the jump button, and R handling everything else – running up walls, swimming on poles and more. You’ll spend a lot of time platforming high above the ground, and falling is often fatal, even from heights you might expect to survive. Luckily, you can rewind time up to 10 seconds with your dagger, allowing you to get out of death if you cock it up. Sometimes it feels like this mechanic was added to alleviate the pressure of the mechanics though, as the Prince will not always do quite what you want, jumping onto the wrong thing, or more frequently running a long a wall instead of up it.

The combat is the other half of the game, and is much worse. B swings your sword, and Y stabs the dagger. Enemies have to be downed with the sword, then stabbed with the dagger to finish them off before they get back up. You can still rewind time to get out of a sticky spot, as well as stab people with the dagger to stun them for an instant kill with the sword, but uses of this are limited. You can also slow down time by quickly tapping L. Killing enemies with the dagger will recharge your sand tanks for using the abilities. If all your sand tanks are full, you can use them for a hyper mode which lets you rapidly defeat multiple enemies whilst freezing time.

Early on, vaulting over enemies with the jump button and slashing them in the back will be enough to kill them, but later enemies will block or counter this, and you’ll need to develop other tactics like bouncing off of walls to attack. Different enemies require differently tactics, but they often cluster up and theres no easy way to change targets so you might attack the wrong enemy and be countered. Fights also take way too long, with some having you kill 30 or so enemies before moving on. Yawn.

Prince of Persia is a decent game overall, and I enjoyed my time with it. The combat is lame, but the platforming is fun enough and the game isn’t too long that it overstays it’s welcome. I hear the sequels become more combat focused as well as early noughties ‘edgy’ so I’m not sure if I’ll play those, but this game works just fine as a standalone experience anyway. It’s worth a play.