Recommend Me Bluetooth Headphones with Low Latency

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
marurun

Re: Recommend Me Bluetooth Headphones with Low Latency

Post by marurun »

The mini consoles all have audio delay and it's actually quite annoying, especially if the game already has some audio lag in it naturally. For me, at least, laggy audio can make the game feel laggy even when it might actually be responsive. Whether it affects my performance or not it does affect my perception.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Ziggy587 wrote:I have a pair of imitation Air Buds. On a rare occasion, I like to use ear buds while working. But there's no way I would ever pay the going price for brand name ones. For the price, these are simply amazing. Long battery life, sounds absolutely fine, no complaints at all.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088M68HFK/

Thanks for posting this link and info, Ziggy. At this price, I might purchase a pair eventually. This was a topic I was curious about too, but I don't own a pair or have experience with anything to recommend.

When it comes to audio, I'm actually in the market for a headphone wire extension cord, if anyone has any recommendations for that as well.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Limewater wrote:Serious question:

Are there games where quick reaction to audio cues is critical to success?

I can absolutely believe that they are out there, but I guess I must not play them.

Related, and vaguely interesting:

The human brain can handle a decent amount of audio latency before it becomes bothersome. However, if the audio leads the video by even a small amount it becomes very distracting very quickly.

I am not personally a fan of bluetooth audio, but I can see why other people would like it.

There are some horror games that rely heavily on audio queues, so the faster you can react, the greater your survivability. I'd also image it would get pretty annoying for rhythm games if the action ties directly to the music.

Also, twitch FPS games. Sometimes, all you might get for warning is the audio queue of a grenade bouncing off a wall or a shot being fired from behind to warn you of an oncoming player.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I cannot find latency data for the Jabra 45h cans I bought in the fall, but they have decent audio quality and a massive 50+ hr battery life. If their BT latency is reasonable they're worth a look. Do any of the consoles support that Qualcomm BT 5.0 extension to reduce latency? The Jabra doesn't support it, I'm just curious.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

The reason I bought the Kokkia device(s) is to force latest compatibility into the rest of my devices. These adapters can accept and send all the different new formats, while still supporting the older ones. Being D-A converters with a (limited 6-8hr reported) battery, they can be adapted into all my other devices if docked and plugged in (USB powered). The one I'm trying to buy (the iTransceiver) is capable of sending or receiving selectively. There's pictures of it attached to the bottom of wired over-ear headphones that have a removable cord, as well as the top headphone jack on a Nintendo Switch. Looking at the specs for Bluetooth 5; It's ~20ms at best, 40 at worst before cutting out. aptX is 20ms in Low latency mode. aptX supports high quality modes with it's HD mode causing ~140ms, but offering a really good audio experience. The sending-only Kokkia device allows you to hot-swap (force) a bunch of Bluetooth and Codec combinations, while all of their current receiving-capable devices can accept any combination of mode and codec. A bit pricey, but the size and capability is well worth it IMO, that is, if I could just get the right one sent to me. I'm on order#4 for the Kokkia iTransceiver from now a 3rd reseller.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Ziggy, how goes the search?