Sega Licensed USB Controllers

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: Sega Licensed USB Controllers

Post by samsonlonghair »

Reprise wrote:
samsonlonghair wrote:You know what would be cool? A bluetooth six-button Genesis or Saturn controller that doesn't stink. No more infrared nonsense. None of the garbage that at@games shovels out. Just a good, solid bluetooth controller like the PS4 or XBone controller, except for sega nerds like us! 8)

A man can dream. :)

Pretty sure those just got confirmed, along with a bluetooth Dreamcast controller...

racketboy wrote:Yup here you go
http://segabits.com/blog/2018/01/10/ret ... s-revealed

nice to see a good lineup.

Awesome sauce!

racketboy wrote:interesting to see the Dreamcast VGA adapter show with the old official design. Looks like they just bought the rights to all the old original molds and added the new USB and Bluetooth guts for the controllers. That's not a bad thing, but not having an HDMI adapter for the Dreamcast is telling they they kinda went for the "easy" way out.

From a business standpoint, they probably got a good enough deal on the rights and they figure they can move enough units to make a profit.

Wasn't there a quality-control issue with those VGA adapters? No offense to you, Racket. I seem to recall that you had to spend a lot of hours helping dis-satisfied customers after the sale. Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

samsonlonghair wrote:No offense to you, Racket. I seem to recall that you had to spend a lot of hours helping dis-satisfied customers after the sale. Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken.

I'm actually pretty fuzzy, but I'm sure that troubleshooting thread still exists. However, those weren't the official ones and I don't recall having nearly as much troubleshooting as the Saturn chips (soldering/installation, of course complicates things). There were always a few issues regarding on some units where the colors would be skewed because of something coming loose in construction, but China, ya know?
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

racketboy wrote:China, ya know?

Right. I know what you mean.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Post by samsonlonghair »

PresidentLeever wrote:My Saturn SUB controller's d-pad is getting a bit worn down so I might pick one of those up.

What I really want to see though is high quality MD and Saturn mini consoles that take original games and have online connections.

That sounds nifty to me. :mrgreen:
chuckster
32-bit

Post by chuckster »

nightrnr wrote:I am super skeptical about Sega controllers.

I may have to try that SNES buffalo controller, as the SNES was the only other system besides the big Sega 3 to really get the D-pad right for me (N64 is basically the same D-pad, but awkward shape for a digital controller, more for 3D gameplay). If they got the Buffalo close to quality, it would really be an asset to emulation, and a must have for a pi setup.
...wondering if USB Saturn adapters work on the pi...

Know I'm late here but I have had an iBuffalo SNES pad for about 4 years. It has been great up until recently. After playing through Cuphead with it without issue, I dug it out to test my Pi and the D-pd is sticking intermittently. I haven't oped it up to see what's going on or if it is fixable, but I thought you guys may like to know.

I'll be testing the Mayflash USB adapter for Saturn on the Pi tonight and keep you posted.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

With the trouble with the iBuffalo and the lag introduced by the Mayflash, I am really hoping these Saturn USB controllers are solid and not outrageous (looking at the history of Retrobit I'm more concerned about the former than the latter). I'm also interested in the power adapters for Genesis and S-video cables for Saturn. Both of those things are hard to find quality versions of without shelling out some dough for the originals.

I've always thought Sega consoles were undeserved by this resurgence of retro gaming. If these things are decent quality I will definitely be grabbing quite a few different items. Any word on release date or pricing?
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Is the Buffalo really that awesome? I've just been lazy about it and never tried to get one, plus I never dug to see if they had variants like 8bitdo with the normal or added buttons/sticks setup too.

I kind of just use that now, wired, (NES style 8bitdo pro) for the computer as it handles things nicely.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

chuckster wrote:
nightrnr wrote:I am super skeptical about Sega controllers.

I may have to try that SNES buffalo controller, as the SNES was the only other system besides the big Sega 3 to really get the D-pad right for me (N64 is basically the same D-pad, but awkward shape for a digital controller, more for 3D gameplay). If they got the Buffalo close to quality, it would really be an asset to emulation, and a must have for a pi setup.
...wondering if USB Saturn adapters work on the pi...

Know I'm late here but I have had an iBuffalo SNES pad for about 4 years. It has been great up until recently. After playing through Cuphead with it without issue, I dug it out to test my Pi and the D-pd is sticking intermittently. I haven't oped it up to see what's going on or if it is fixable, but I thought you guys may like to know.

I'll be testing the Mayflash USB adapter for Saturn on the Pi tonight and keep you posted.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

With the trouble with the iBuffalo and the lag introduced by the Mayflash, I am really hoping these Saturn USB controllers are solid and not outrageous (looking at the history of Retrobit I'm more concerned about the former than the latter). I'm also interested in the power adapters for Genesis and S-video cables for Saturn. Both of those things are hard to find quality versions of without shelling out some dough for the originals.

I've always thought Sega consoles were undeserved by this resurgence of retro gaming. If these things are decent quality I will definitely be grabbing quite a few different items. Any word on release date or pricing?

Please keep us posted on your findings with the Mayflash USB adapter and the Saturn controllers. I was thinking of picking one up, but have held off.

Is the lag very noticeable on a PC/Mac? Right now that's what I would use the Mayflash for, but I plan to get a RetroPi as well, and would like to use Saturn controllers for any Genesis/Saturn games I end up playing on it.
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

I'm really digging those controllers, Racketboy. Thanks for keeping us updated. The Dreamcast ones are really quite nice. I love that the Bluetooth will work with our original consoles. I can't wait to hear more, but I'll definitely be picking up the Dreamcast controllers.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Blu wrote:I'm really digging those controllers, Racketboy. Thanks for keeping us updated. The Dreamcast ones are really quite nice. I love that the Bluetooth will work with our original consoles. I can't wait to hear more, but I'll definitely be picking up the Dreamcast controllers.

A few concerns I have about the Dreamcast ones (some minor some less minor)
* I wonder if the VMUs/Rumble with work over Bluetooth
* That receiver looks rather large!
* I'm guessing their is a low chance of a black receiver to go with my black Sega Sports model. I love having black consoles in my home theatre setup...
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Reprise wrote:
racketboy wrote:interesting to see the Dreamcast VGA adapter show with the old official design. Looks like they just bought the rights to all the old original molds and added the new USB and Bluetooth guts for the controllers. That's not a bad thing, but not having an HDMI adapter for the Dreamcast is telling they they kinda went for the "easy" way out.

Actually, I was thinking how cool it was that they're releasing new VGA boxes, but you raise a good point that an affordable and official HDMI adapter would have been way more convenient.

People are saying that Retro-Bit also said at the convention that consoles are in the pipeline. Of course, take that with a grain of salt...

Not sure what affordable/acceptable would be labeled by most but a VGA box runs $60 these days on ebay. The Akura HDMI adapter is $85 shipped worldwide. Think of it as $15 shipping +$10 to get a product from this well known team in Turkey. I think I'm buying this in 2018.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51868

I'd be most interested in USB options for emulation. I'm not totally sold there won't be some lag on wireless or possible quality control/build/cheapo issues. Hopefully they'll surprise me.

For those asking, yes the Buffalo SNES is amazing. No lag. It is obviously a SNES layout though so Genesis games that use A, B, C have to be mapped to an odd button combo (Y, B, A is what I use) hence why I want a solid Sega USB option.

My Retro Achievements | Games Beaten 2023 & 2024 |
xJAGOx = Xbox Gamertag | Console Mods