A community poll about reviews in the Games Beaten thread.

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else

Concerning the Games Beaten thread reviews:

I read every review thoroughly.
10%
I only read some users' reviews thoroughly.
24%
I tl;dr & read the last few sentences of reviews.
10%
I glance over the reviews but barely read them.
12%
I don't read the reviews at all.
No votes
Posting reviews is dumb everyone should stop doing it.
No votes
If you enjoy reviews: I prefer long multi-paragraph reviews.
20%
If you enjoy reviews: I prefer short and sweet reviews.
18%
If you enjoy reviews: I'd rather see a review score than a review.
No votes
I have an opinion not listed as an option, so I'll post a reply instead.
4%

Total votes: 49

yaktaur
8-bit

Re: A community poll about reviews in the Games Beaten threa

Post by yaktaur »

My eyes sort of gloss over the posts with big long lists of games beaten, but I'll usually read a post with a paragraph or two about a game beaten.

The long list sort of makes me feel like it's just about checking things off and makes me less interested in the individual take.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

That's why I started spoilering all of my list. It takes up less room. However, I like to keep that list going because it lets me refer back to my thoughts and also helps me remember when I finished things off. And since I've started giving scores as well, it forces me to think hard about where I put it in relation to other games I've finished that year.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Sarge wrote:That's why I started spoilering all of my list. It takes up less room. However, I like to keep that list going because it lets me refer back to my thoughts and also helps me remember when I finished things off. And since I've started giving scores as well, it forces me to think hard about where I put it in relation to other games I've finished that year.

Yeah, in the past we've generally spoilered lists once they hit 50 titles. I'm not sure why this year folks aren't also doing that.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I stopped using the list format altogether, and instead put the current list number next to the game I beat. I use HLTB to keep track of what I've beaten in totality, and I also post my review for the game in the HLTB review section. I really love being able to go back to 2013 and drudge up reviews I wrote back then. It's useful when somebody asks for opinions about a game I've already beaten. That way I can offer clear thoughts rather than murky recollections.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Ack wrote:
Sarge wrote:That's why I started spoilering all of my list. It takes up less room. However, I like to keep that list going because it lets me refer back to my thoughts and also helps me remember when I finished things off. And since I've started giving scores as well, it forces me to think hard about where I put it in relation to other games I've finished that year.

Yeah, in the past we've generally spoilered lists once they hit 50 titles. I'm not sure why this year folks aren't also doing that.

Because I forgot because I only just hit 51. It's apparently been a slow year for me.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Exhuminator wrote:I stopped using the list format altogether, and instead put the current list number next to the game I beat. I use HLTB to keep track of what I've beaten in totality, and I also post my review for the game in the HLTB review section. I really love being able to go back to 2013 and drudge up reviews I wrote back then. It's useful when somebody asks for opinions about a game I've already beaten. That way I can offer clear thoughts rather than murky recollections.

That is an excellent idea, and I should consider doing it. It would be a lot of work to backfill, of course... especially given how much stuff I've beaten over the years! But having it all in one place makes tons more sense than me searching about through old threads finding where I'd talked about a particular game I'd beaten.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Sarge wrote:It would be a lot of work to backfill, of course...

Well, even if you just start doing it now, the content will build over the years. I like going into other people's HLTB archives and reading their reviews too. I've spent lots of time on HLTB doing that. If you go to someone's list of beaten games, you just click on the icon that looks like this:

And it will expand that line entry so you can see their details, including their review of the game.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Exhuminator wrote:That way I can offer clear thoughts rather than murky recollections.

Some of the games I played years ago, a murky recollection might be better. If I remembered in greater detail what it was like to beat the game I might pine quite a bit less for the hobby.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

marurun wrote:If I remembered in greater detail what it was like to beat the game I might pine quite a bit less for the hobby.

Conversely when you end up playing multiple disappointments in a row, it's nice to be able to go back and see that yes, you have played some amazing games. That reassurance keeps me pining through the dark times.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Also, some of us have been tracking our thoughts on here for years. If we did want to use external resources, we have a lot here we could copy over.