Top 3 Favorite Turn-based Strategy Games

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Top 3 Favorite Turn-based Strategy Games

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Snake wrote:I figured someone would bring up Military Madness. I have it on the Wii VC, but haven't gotten into it. Seems like a pretty steep learning curve just to figure out the controls. I will get to playing it eventually though.

Spend some time with it. It is pretty great once you get the hang of it. You can read some of my thoughts on the game here.)

If possible, get the PS1 remake/sequel and play it on a PSP. The PS1 version is crammed with maps and features, and the game is perfect on a portable system. (I tried playing it on my television a few times, but some of the battles can take nearly an hour...even if you win them on your first attempt.)
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Sload Soap wrote:Good to know! I've got Shining Force on the Ultimate Collection so I'll start there.

This is exactly what you want to do. Start with Shining Force I & II on the Ultimate Collection - those are great because you can save-state at any time.

Shining Force, Final Fantasy Tactics, Fire Emblem, Ogre Battle, Front Mission, and Langrisser are probably the "essential" Japanese strategy RPG series. Of course there are tons of great standalone games too.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
Sload Soap wrote:Good to know! I've got Shining Force on the Ultimate Collection so I'll start there.

This is exactly what you want to do. Start with Shining Force I & II on the Ultimate Collection - those are great because you can save-state at any time.

Shining Force, Final Fantasy Tactics, Fire Emblem, Ogre Battle, Front Mission, and Langrisser are probably the "essential" Japanese strategy RPG series. Of course there are tons of great standalone games too.

Arc the Lad and Disgaea as well
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Never played Arc the Lad! I know there's a PS1 collection but I've never looked at prices. Sure it's more than the max I'm willing to spend on a game. I do have two of the PS2 games, but I've never played 'em.

As far as NIS stuff goes I'd much rather go for Rhapsody, Phantom Brave, and La Pucelle: Tactics. Never played GrimGrimoire but it looks cool.

Dept. Heaven is another great series from recent times.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Never played Arc the Lad! I know there's a PS1 collection but I've never looked at prices. Sure it's more than the max I'm willing to spend on a game. I do have two of the PS2 games, but I've never played 'em.

As far as NIS stuff goes I'd much rather go for Rhapsody, Phantom Brave, and La Pucelle: Tactics. Never played GrimGrimoire but it looks cool.

Dept. Heaven is another great series from recent times.

Ah but is it more than 1 game! Someone on here is selling it for $40. Not a bad price.

You also have the Growlanser series
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Haven't played much Growlanser either, since I'm always like 15 years behind the times. Love that Satoshi Urushihara artwork.

Oh and since I never answered the original question here are my top three:
Shining Force II
Final Fantasy Tactics
Fire Emblem: Awakening
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Rebelstar Tactical Command on GBA is awesome. It's like X-COM-lite. More like X-COM than Rebelstar anyway. Created by Julian Gallop as well.

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

^ Ya know I've walked right by that game about 20 times because I hate the box artwork so damn much. I should probably check it out.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Haven't played much Growlanser either, since I'm always like 15 years behind the times. Love that Satoshi Urushihara artwork.

Oh and since I never answered the original question here are my top three:
Shining Force II
Final Fantasy Tactics
Fire Emblem: Awakening

Bah, FFT wishes it was as good as TO :D
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Ogre Battle 64 is the strongest game in that series. Though I will admit that a big part of the appeal comes from the fact that it's on the friggin' Nintendo 64!!!