SNESdrunk reviews

Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Re: SNESdrunk reviews

Post by ZeroAX »

I disagree with Ack on Donkey Kong Country. I think the first game is the weakest in the series and that the series needed some more polishing to reach "perhection" which it did with DKC2 (though the 3rd remains my favorite).

I guess I would also add Zombies ate my neighbors to your list. Great game and very 16-bity
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

Ack wrote:First, Donkey Kong Country 2...this one is up in the air for me. While I feel DKC2 is superior, I'm still hesitant to declare it over its predecessor. I'm on the fence as a result, though I am happy to see one of the series here.

I thought they built from the first game nicely. I really like playing as Dixie and the level design fits her jumping/coasting style perfectly. Plus I dig the pirate theme.

Ack wrote:Second, Mega Man X yes, but I don't consider Mega Man X2 to be as essential. I'd happily recommend it to fellow collectors, but I don't think it's one I "must have" if I'm limited by size and budget constraints.

As IMO the best game out of the Mega Man series on SNES, I had to consider it essential. But yeah, it's expensive, which is such a bummer.

Ack wrote:I feel the same for UN Squadron,

I'm far from a shmup expert, I'll be the first to tell you I'm lousy at those games. But the sheer number of customizable elements and the cool anime artwork (and funny facial expressions) make that game really appealing to me, so I felt I had to include it. It stands out to me from the rest.

Ack wrote:Secret of Mana,

The way the story is slyly told puts it over the top, IMO. That moment when you first get Flammie, you see how huge your world really is, and that music kicks in... that's an amazing moment. I wish everyone could experience that, which is why it's on there.

Ack wrote: and Super Mario RPG.

I could go either way here but I wanted to keep the RPG genre diverse.

Ack wrote: Instead, I'd argue that Mortal Kombat 2, Killer Instinct, and F-Zero are more essential for a base collection to show off the console's strengths.

Killer Instinct and F-Zero I can understand, but I don't think MK2 has aged well at all.

Anyway thanks for watching! And thanks for posting your thoughts, I love talking about this stuff
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

ZeroAX wrote:I guess I would also add Zombies ate my neighbors to your list. Great game and very 16-bity

I always liked the Genesis/Mega Drive version better. *shrug* Not really sure why, I'd have to go back and compare the two.
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Post by Violent By Design »

I played Super Mario RPG and I wouldn't consider it to be an essential RPG.

If you're going for the light hearted feel, I think Earthbound would be better, albeit a more expensive investment.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

Violent By Design wrote:I played Super Mario RPG and I wouldn't consider it to be an essential RPG.

If you're going for the light hearted feel, I think Earthbound would be better, albeit a more expensive investment.

I disagree. I feel that to this day Super Mario RPG is quite the unique game. Not even the Mario and Luigi series is as good as it was.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

ZeroAX wrote:
Violent By Design wrote:I played Super Mario RPG and I wouldn't consider it to be an essential RPG.

I disagree. I feel that to this day Super Mario RPG is quite the unique game. Not even the Mario and Luigi series is as good as it was.

What's so unique about it other than its aesthetics? I didn't think it was all that great, very small amount of skills you can use (at certain point magic becomes useless outside of healing), no items, no customization, really short game.

I understand the "its light hearted and funny", but it gets a little boring after 7 hours. The script is good enough, but it's hard to actually care what's going to happen when the game doesn't care itself.

The whole you do timed attacks isn't much of a novelty. After a while, it's the same exact thing as just pressing "attack" and not doing anything. Battles do not have any more depth because of the system.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

I feel like the Paper Mario games took a lot of the gameplay ideas in Super Mario RPG and did a really good job at streamlining them and making it all just all around work better.

I like SMRPG a lot, and was initially disappointed in Paper Mario when it came out, but I've slowly come around and prefer the latter nowadays.
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

I feel like there are so many light hearted RPGs that dont take its self seriously, that games like Mario RPG are not that much of a novelty.
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

Violent By Design wrote:I understand the "its light hearted and funny", but it gets a little boring after 7 hours. The script is good enough, but it's hard to actually care what's going to happen when the game doesn't care itself.

The whole you do timed attacks isn't much of a novelty. After a while, it's the same exact thing as just pressing "attack" and not doing anything. Battles do not have any more depth because of the system.

Agree to disagree. I've beat the game a couple times and it's never been boring for me. I laugh and have a good time. I'm not exactly an apologist though, the game is definitely flawed. The platforming elements are awkward and just don't work very well at times.

And IMO, actually paying attention during a random battle is better than just setting your ASCII Pad on "Auto" like most other SNES RPGs.
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

s1rweeze wrote:

Agree to disagree. I've beat the game a couple times and it's never been boring for me. I laugh and have a good time. I'm not exactly an apologist though, the game is definitely flawed. The platforming elements are awkward and just don't work very well at times.
Oi, the platforming was the worst. The depth perception was messed up. :lol:

And IMO, actually paying attention during a random battle is better than just setting your ASCII Pad on "Auto" like most other SNES RPGs.
But you basically are on auto. I mean you're just spamming attack for the vast majority of battles like you would if you didn't have action commands :o.