The Evil Within

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Re: The Evil Within

Post by Reprise »

I've had the game since Monday (even got a 24 ban on Twitch for streaming the game before release :lol: ) and I personally love it. It plays a LOT like Resident Evil 4. It's also very hard (if you're playing on hard) and you will find it difficult to play with the limited resources you come across).
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Onikage
16-bit

Post by Onikage »

So far this game just feels like a resident evil 4 rehash but not nearly as fun. The constant checkpoints destroy any tension the game could possibly have, it's just way too easy and forgiving even though i picked the harder difficulty. Shinji Mikami has made many games I love but i'm starting to regret spending money on this.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

The checkpoints will put a lot of people off, I know. That said, I'm personally fine with it. I need them and still find it tense :lol:
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

wclem
Next-Gen

Post by wclem »

When you have a job, kids and all other kind of responsibility check points are a blessing. Many people have limited game time and cannot give up time replaying scenes over and over to make little or no progress. This is an adult game made for older players, many of which have little free time. When I play a game that could cause me to lose an hour or even more a gameplay I tend to put it down as it is a terrible use of my time.

While this lightens the challenge it affords many people to play games they would ordinarily not play as they would not devote time to replaying something multiple times. It is hard to throw out free time when free time is scarce.

That being said, why not just let you turn off checkpoints if you want a hardcore challenge? One day when I am retired (probably never), I will have the time to die and die again LOL.
dsheinem wrote:In any case, sorry that my avatar makes you cringe these days, but I haven't really changed my posing habits at all.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Yes, this ^

I also don't know how far you guys are in, but I'm midway through chapter 5 I think it is (or maybe it's 6) and I'm finding it pretty brutal :)

Onikage
16-bit

Post by Onikage »

If I pick the hard difficulty I'd expect the game to give me a challenge instead of the typical watered down modern game difficulty bullshit. The old Resident evil and Dino Crisis games had well placed savepoints, they were far away enough to create tension but you didn't lose that much progress if you died, the games took less than 10 hours to clear anyway.
wclem
Next-Gen

Post by wclem »

I just finished 5 and going into 6 pretty well crippled. I have about 6 rounds and maybe one health item. Gonna be a lot of running.

If you have not run into the 3 ugly things that pop up from the pools of blood then you are in the first half of five.
dsheinem wrote:In any case, sorry that my avatar makes you cringe these days, but I haven't really changed my posing habits at all.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Yeah I was just playing my game and I'm currently on Chapter 5. I have Joseph by my side at the moment.

wclem
Next-Gen

Post by wclem »

Resisting spoiler LOL.....

Gonna be a good fight up ahead.... also a semi timed event, I would go around a time or two ignoring the timer, to see where all the goodies are to pick up later.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Thanks for the tip lol.