What should we add to the TurboGrafx 16 101 Guide?

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
marurun

Re: What should we add to the TurboGrafx 16 101 Guide?

Post by marurun »

Stark wrote:My friend has a copy of Mysterious Song.

Mysterious Song is the first title out of Frozen Utopia. They have another couple in the works, one straight platformer and one Zelda 2/Faxanadu-like title, I think. Aetherbyte has released 2 arcade clone CD games, several quick and dirty classics (with source code), and has another game in the works that will be chip-based (including homebrew chip hardware). There's a couple French devs that have a couple arcade clones out on CD. MindRec is finally doing a proper pressing of Meteor Blaster and has a couple titles on the backburner, one of which is new. Another fellow is considering a Kickstarter to program a new game as well.

That's a pretty good homebrew scene if you ask me.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PUSH RUN BUTTON!

Post by PUSH RUN BUTTON! »

What about mentioning some of the rarer collectables like the Special Version HuCards?
marurun

Post by marurun »

PUSH RUN BUTTON! wrote:What about mentioning some of the rarer collectables like the Special Version HuCards?

I think that belongs more in the "Rarest and Most Valuable" series and less in the 101 guides.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PUSH RUN BUTTON!

Yeah those HuCards would fit in well there. Odd that they weren't mentioned. Any chance of a refresh on that article coming up?

I noticed that the original article leaves out a lot of the PC Engine and it's hardware variants (Core Grafx, Super Grafx, Shuttle, Core II, etc). Do you think those would those fit well in a 101 article? The numerous iterations of hardware just really underscores how popular the PC Engine was in Japan and highlights the contrast to how the Turbo fared on these shores. Including history and information about the PC Engine is really important to understanding how and why the Turbo came about.

What about a brief section about some sort of "starter system"? Something like a brief guide/list of what would make a great system/games/peripherals for someone just getting into the Turbo/PCE. Something like Retro Gamer Magazine's Perfect 10, but including essential/worthwhile peripherals and hardware? I always thought this would be a cool feature for the 101 articles and gives someone who is ready to dive into the system a great place to jump off from.

Also, if you need photos, I have a pretty hefty selection of Turbo/PCE hardware, software, boxes, systems, etc. and an awesome camera.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

It would be cool to do a refresh of the Rare and Valuable too, so whatever info you have, go ahead and share and we can put it in the right place :)
marurun

Post by marurun »

My intent is that this iteration of the TG 101 be TG/PCE 101, since it is, quite frankly, almost easier these days to collect the latter.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
PUSH RUN BUTTON!

marurun wrote:My intent is that this iteration of the TG 101 be TG/PCE 101, since it is, quite frankly, almost easier these days to collect the latter.

Totally endorse this. Even outside of the ease of collecting, focusing on the Turbo without a hard look at the PCE omits important aspects of the system's story. Sure, that could be said about some other consoles and their Japanese counterparts, to an extent - but in this case it's absolutely the case.

I'll see what I can dig up for the Rare and Valuable rewrite. The rare and quirky items related to the PCE and Turbo are really an exciting part of collecting for the system. I'll also see what the great folks over at PCEngineFX.com think - they are an amazing wealth of information!
marurun

Post by marurun »

PUSH RUN BUTTON! wrote:I'll also see what the great folks over at PCEngineFX.com think - they are an amazing wealth of information!

Be cautious. As a regular user there, I can say they can be both quite cantankerous at times and quite divided. Knowledge exists, but only if you know who to ask and who to ignore.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
marurun

Post by marurun »

Ugh. An update. I haven't touched this in a while due to a crappy work schedule. But I've definitely been thinking about it. Also trying to find a better way to produce it. MS Expression Web sucks for editing text within an existing design, it turns out, but I'm not otherwise sure how best to generate a result that can be easily turned into a hostable page.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

marurun wrote:Ugh. An update. I haven't touched this in a while due to a crappy work schedule. But I've definitely been thinking about it. Also trying to find a better way to produce it. MS Expression Web sucks for editing text within an existing design, it turns out, but I'm not otherwise sure how best to generate a result that can be easily turned into a hostable page.

This is what I use
http://www.kompozer.net/