Half Life 2 Review

Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Re: Half Life 2 Review

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Curlypaul wrote:So I was wondering how people are getting on with this game? there was a flurry of topics about it a while ago and there were a few people playing it for the first time. Where you at?

I've still not finished - don't get much game time, and I'd got 5 or 6 games that I was currently playing. I'm up to 'Follow Freeman' - in the museum. Good god this game is loooong, or maybe its just because I'm used to games that are too short lately

It should run you a good 9-10 hours to complete HL2, and around 11 hours for HL1. They are nice and long, however, the Episodes are much shorter. Episode 1 takes about an hour and a half to complete and Episode 2 takes around 3-4 hours.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Curlypaul
Next-Gen

Post by Curlypaul »

I'm up to 10 hours now - not even sure if that clock is counting respawn time or not. The length does give it an epic feel
jfe2
Next-Gen

Post by jfe2 »

I just played and beat Half-Life 2 this year and I loved it.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

seemed as good a thread to bump as any...

So having beat Half-Life for Together Retro earlier this year, and then beating Portal last week, I figured it was time to move on to HL2. I'm like 3 or 4 hours in so far and loving it. At first I was a little intimidated by how big and open-worldy it looked compared to the first game, but it's so well structured that I'm having no issues advancing so far without a guide of any sort which makes me really pleased.

A few things to mention:

*Barnacles really creep me out. I mean they did in the first game, but considering they're in HD now they creep me out even more.

*I'm so proud of myself that I can play FPS games with dual analogs now. The 360 controller just feels so so comfortable to me for these games, and ultimately, ditching the feeling of total confusion with controls went a long way to making me appreciate the genre. (Imagine trying to play a game where you're like "oh that guy is shooting at me, I better turn and run, ok why aren't I running? Why am I looking at the floor? Why am I looking at the ceiling now? Oh. I'm dead now.")

*Having popped Halo in for the first time ever last week, I found myself absolutely loathing the driving sections. I spent so much Halo time trying to drive and get the camera to cooperate and then peeling out or crashing into stuff... in HL2 when I got on that little mudshark thingy it was a breeze. So phew.

*Valve Corp really has a new fan though. Like big time. I've already put an hour or two into Portal 2 as well, and adore it - was amazed to feel that pretty much EVERYTHING I liked about Portal had somehow been improved. (And found myself literally LOL'ing which is something I rarely do with a game). I actually had no clue they did the L4D games until this week, so I've now added those to my shopping list.

...anyway, I'm currently at the water base in HL2 so please no spoilers.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

well Raptr says I spent another 3 hrs on HL2...

Remember when I mentioned the driving bits being so much better than in Halo? Well, I still stand by that. The driving controls were very comfortable and all. But honestly that whole chapter went on far too long in my opinion. At first it felt really fun and different to be speeding through sewers and swamps in a daring getaway, but after a while it was like ugh... enough already. I think this became especially true when you'd have to get off and do something on foot for a bit, and then get back on the mudskipper. I just kept feeling like "ok, I think I'm finally done with that part," and then it'd be like "nope, just had to open another bridge so I can go through on the mudskipper... again."

Anyway, that chapter's over and though I didn't hate it or anything, it was def my least favorite part of the game so far. I'm glad it's done. The helicopter boss battle was fun anyway.

I've now go the Gravity Gun (was HL2 before or after Portal?) and played catch w/ Dog. And now I'm making my way through a run-down town w/ lots of zombies and I'm almost out of ammo as obviously zombies don't drop ammo they way armed guards do. So the tension is starting to pick back up.

I know I'm not super far into the game yet, but still on the fence if I think this one is better than the first HL. In a lot of ways, I feel like it's improved on many things. But the one nagging detail that keeps sticking to me is that the first game had a (mostly) claustrophobic feel that worked in its favor due to (most of) the game taking place in the research facility. Certainly HL2 being a far more open world adds a lot of possibility, but I also think it took a little something away.

Either way, I do think the game is fantastic.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

noiseredux wrote:I've now go the Gravity Gun (was HL2 before or after Portal?) and played catch w/ Dog. And now I'm making my way through a run-down town w/ lots of zombies and I'm almost out of ammo as obviously zombies don't drop ammo they way armed guards do. So the tension is starting to pick back up.

Portal was released alongside Half Life 2 Episode 2 in the Orange Box.

If it's the section of the game I'm thinking of, you can make great use of the large saw blades with the gravity gun to alleviate ammo woes.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

isiolia wrote:If it's the section of the game I'm thinking of, you can make great use of the large saw blades with the gravity gun to alleviate ammo woes.

:shock:

OMG. All those saw blades I was passing. I don't think I would have realized that on my own, haha. Thanks!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

welcome to another episode of 'noise plays Half-Life 2 by himself and then talks to himself about Half-Life 2.' In today's installment I get a shotgun, and decide that I really don't like these fast moving zombies. Not cool, man.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

noiseredux wrote: :shock:

OMG. All those saw blades I was passing. I don't think I would have realized that on my own, haha. Thanks!

Not even that, there are places where you can use the gravity gun to push saw blades that are mounted on a fan like apparatus to make a spinning wheel of death! There is an achievement in the game to get through that whole level with using JUST the gravity gun...that was challenging...but fun!

I am glad you are enjoying the game so far. When you talk about the claustrophobic atmosphere of Half-Life 1 and how it helped create tension, you will soon understand the decision to open things up and how that inevitably creates a lot more tension and atmosphere. I won't give a thing away, but what you are experiencing is only a small portion of what the game offers. Your journey still has a loooooong way to go.

As for your opinions on the much talked about boat stages, I understand the feeling, but I don't completely agree. I see what they were going for with it and kind of went along with the ride. The whole struggle with the helicopter gives you a feel that it was a character in and of itself, constantly chasing you, always around the corner. It created a lot of tension that I enjoyed, making defeating it all the better. I think that the point of the more drawn out portion of the levels is to give you a cinematic sinking in of the situation.

When stumbling upon a cabin or gate you get a feeling of curiosity and accomplishment. You will see this much later throughout the game as well that makes each discovery raise your heart-rate in anticipation of what is going to come out of it.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:
Not even that, there are places where you can use the gravity gun to push saw blades that are mounted on a fan like apparatus to make a spinning wheel of death! There is an achievement in the game to get through that whole level with using JUST the gravity gun...that was challenging...but fun!

There are achievements in the original Half Life 2? Must have been baked in well after my playthroughs. Maybe I should give it another play...