Best way for me to get into Mortal Kombat?

Brawlers and Beatemups
Flake

Re: Best way for me to get into Mortal Kombat?

Post by Flake »

I think I will be ordering Mortal Kombat Trilogy for the Saturn. I already ordered Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance for the 'cube earlier. I will learn to pull spines out through my enemies severed big toes!
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
swiftzx
Next-Gen

Post by swiftzx »

You should try out Mortal Kombat: Armageddon. I liked that one, even though I'd rather play any other of my fighters than that.
Sale thread (please buy!): viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19428
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

Flake wrote:I think I will be ordering Mortal Kombat Trilogy for the Saturn. I already ordered Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance for the 'cube earlier. I will learn to pull spines out through my enemies severed big toes!

this makes me want to open my sealed copy of MK Trilogy for N64 :lol:
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
shwisha
32-bit

Post by shwisha »

You need to play/beat Mortal Kombat 1, 2, then watch the Movie and afterwards play 3. Beat each game with every character and you've successfully relived 90s Mortal Kombat.

Good Luck :shock:
Tecmo Pro - My Tecmo Super Bowl Blog.
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

shwisha wrote:You need to play/beat Mortal Kombat 1, 2, then watch the Movie and afterwards play 3. Beat each game with every character and you've successfully relived 90s Mortal Kombat.

Good Luck :shock:

Words of truth, really.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

It's not technically a fighter, but any MK fan needs to play MK:Shaolin Monks
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

Post by Bradtemple87 »

For me it has always been MKII and always the Genesis version!
MY Sale/Trade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27739
t0yrobo
Next-Gen

Post by t0yrobo »

Bradtemple87 wrote:For me it has always been MKII and always the Genesis version!

AGREED

The only thing I have to add is do whatever you can to play against real people instead of the cpu. MK sucks against the cpu imo, but it's a blast with friends.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Flake wrote:I think I will be ordering Mortal Kombat Trilogy for the Saturn. I already ordered Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance for the 'cube earlier. I will learn to pull spines out through my enemies severed big toes!

MK Trilogy is alright, but it's really not the best example of the old school MK games. I was never a big fan of the MK3 engine (what Trilogy uses) and the load times kinda kill it for me (I have it on PS1). I picked it up for the N64 recently but haven't had the chance to really play it yet.

I'm glad others have already said this many times over, but MKII is the best. It has the best graphics and definitely the best finishing moves. The finishers in MK3 didn't seem as cool, and the graphics weren't done as good. It always felt like a step down from MKII to me. I still like MK3/UMK3/Trilogy, but they don't hold a candle to MKII.

So yeah, if I had to pick just one MK game, it would definitely be the second one. I had it on SNES back in the day, but I've played it on just about every platform. As far as the original ports go, I think the SNES was the best. Even though the colors in the SNES port were a little washed and it ran a little slower than the arcade, the Genesis version had missing/different sound effects which always bothered me a lot. The graphics are also more blan. And I don't think the Genesis controller is set up good for MK games. If you have a PS3, the PSN version is be far the best choice for MKII on a home console. It was also released as a bonus in Shoalin Monks (and one of the Midway Arcade Treasures?) and I'd have to say that version is probably the second choice.

MK1 was a bonus in MK Deception, MKII in Shaolin Monks, and UMK3 in MK Armageddon. Some one was nice enough to snip these games out and hack them together. They called it "MK Anthology". You can download it here:

http://snesorama.us/board/showthread.php?t=42363

So if you have a PS2 and a way to play backups, this is definitely something to check out. The three best MK games all in one package. These versions have some flaws, and people love to talk about them, but they're decent versions of the game. At least the graphics are a lot better than the 16-bit era ports.

Gamerforlife wrote:It's not technically a fighter, but any MK fan needs to play MK:Shaolin Monks

Yeah! I loved that game. Had a lot of fun playing it, especially on co-op. It's definitely a must play if you're an MKII fan.
ujnhunter
64-bit

Post by ujnhunter »

sevin0seven wrote:
ujnhunter wrote:Tip: Avoid playing every other fighting game ever made... because that's the only way you'd get into MK... not trying to be a jerk... but MK is probably one of... if not the worst fighting games available.

...so the worst fighting game available has how many sequels/remakes/genres? spin-offs? movies? court cases? retail release battle? ... :P

Are you trying to insinuate that something has to be "good" in order to sell? Why are all the top selling music acts just a bunch of crappy autotune tracks? Why do people buy RARE ltd games? Why are there 800 SAW movies? Crap sells just as well as good things sell.