New Chinese Sandisk adapter for Sega Dreamcast! Updated!!!

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
pakopako
Next-Gen

Re: New Chinese Sandisk adapter for Sega Dreamcast!

Post by pakopako »

Anthony817 wrote:
retro69 wrote:Is it possible to Boot from SD card? Because I have some Dreamcast with bad GDROM lens...without GDROM, this does not work :( any solution for GDROM replacement?

You can install Dreamshell into a bios mod that allows you to boot Dreamshell instead of the regular Dreamcast "Dashboard" or bios.

You still need a working GDRom drive to install the OS into the bios though.

Waitasec... so if I had only 1 GDrom among 10 Dreamcast units, they could all still run games if I modify all their BIOS' to include Dreamshell? How is that possible?
My scheduling skills have died of dysentery; I hope to visit at least on a monthly basis.
Still, don't forget to tip your waitress.
Anthony817
128-bit

Post by Anthony817 »

No, no GDrom does that, but a CDrom does load the Dreamshell operating disc, and can install the os in the bios, granted you have a hardware mod. The GDdrive reads Cd's. You can even see it on the website that has the Dreamshell OS.

This is from the changelog on the current released version of Dreamshell.

Code: Select all

— Added an application to install DreamShell in bios (if you have a bios mod). Now you can load DreamShell directly without disc with bios and SD card!

Don't ask me how it is possible, but you have to flash the bios and stuff. I have no idea how to do it.

Anyway, if you wan't to see what all is possible with this operating system, a bios mod and a SD card, check their site.

http://www.dc-swat.ru/blog/dreamshell/20.html

You basicaly turn the Dreamcast into a PC much like a modded original xbox or PS3 is.
pakopako
Next-Gen

Post by pakopako »

Anthony817 wrote:
pakopako wrote:Waitasec... so if I had only 1 GDrom among 10 Dreamcast units, they could all still run games if I modify all their BIOS' to include Dreamshell? How is that possible?

No, no GDrom does that, but a CDrom does load the Dreamshell operating disc, and can install the os in the bios, granted you have a hardware mod. The GDdrive reads Cd's. You can even see it on the website that has the Dreamshell OS.

Oh, I wanted to elaborate that if I had only one working GD-rom unit among a dozen Dreamcast units that I could assemble it on each of them, using the Dreamshell boot-disc and flash the bios across all the systems so that they don't even need a GD-rom attachment to function.

Anthony817 wrote:Anyway, if you wan't to see what all is possible with this operating system, a bios mod and a SD card, check their site.

http://www.dc-swat.ru/blog/dreamshell/20.html

You basicaly turn the Dreamcast into a PC much like a modded original xbox or PS3 is.

This intrigues me much so. I wonder if this means they can soft-mod a DC to play import games as opposed to creating an image with a bootloader. Or if this rules out size-limits to image files. Or... or... I'll check out the site's English section and see if this discussion carries over to their boards.
My scheduling skills have died of dysentery; I hope to visit at least on a monthly basis.
Still, don't forget to tip your waitress.
Anthony817
128-bit

Post by Anthony817 »

Just as a little update, the guy that was making these corded adapters, has made a new sleeker design. I have already bought mine and a new Dreamcast mouse and keyboard and have Dreamshell already burned and a 32GB SDHC card for all my emulation and homebrew needs. :mrgreen:

Here is what the newer ones look like, and I think you will agree too.

Here is what I did, and it was so easy, easier than using Ebay infact!

I Made sure I signed up with Buy from Taobao, and had a paypal account first. Then I went to the link under this post.
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=7818275499

Then went to this site http://buyfromtaobao.com/ShoppingCart.aspx Put the item URL in the field and added to cart, then next after that I got the total in USD. This site just charges you like .50 cents for using them as a "Middleman", but for me, half a buck is worth it to get a "Solid State" Hard Drive for my Sega Dreamcast.

It cost $11.14 total for mine! Now I just have to wait.
d123456
Next-Gen

Post by d123456 »

It was probably asked before, but is there a klist of games that work?
Or is it generally so that those small rips (without music sometimes) will work?
I think the DC looks sexy with this in her back..... :oops:
Optimizing PS2 games 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30389
Upsidedown Fuji
32-bit

Post by Upsidedown Fuji »

I own a lot of DC games already but it would be cool to just load them off an external device. I hope it continues to get refined. It would be cool to have a plug n play solution for running backup software. :)
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Dreamcast with a Gecko SD Card Gamecube arrangement!

Anthony, once you receive your SD card adaptor, can you do a full in depth review? The SD Card load will probably be slower then the GDRom, so converting commercial games may not be feasible? However, a menu driven homebrew and emulators "Memory Stick Drive" will be interesting.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Anthony817
128-bit

Post by Anthony817 »

Sure thing man I will be glad to write a review on it. If you want to see our compatibility list we have so far, go here.

http://www.dc-swat.ru/forum/thread-1329.html

It is possible to play some retail games full speed, but when CDDA is involved in the mix, it can get quite choppy.

SWAT says he is still refining Dreamshell, and he will continue to optomize it as much as possible. He also said he is going to have a new version of Dreamshell, that should add new and exciting features. It should come out soon and be version 5 I believe.

If you wan't to see how well it runs retail games so far, here are some good videos of Headhunter and Skies of Arcadia pretty much full speed! This means you can now play FULL GDROM RIPS FROM THE SD CARD! :mrgreen:

HH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XRp6KR2_cg

SOA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn-jATpRtAY

I am really going for a "Homebrew Channel" thing with mine, mostly running Homebrew, emulators and many Bleemed PS1 games. SWAT says the transfer rate of the serial port is about 5mbps, so definately not as fast as the GDRom drive or the BBA port, but it does the same thing almost with a few features.

Also, there is a possibility to use the SD Card readers as extra ram for emulators, and even use it as a mega memory card for all your saved games!

I just bought a 32GB SDHC for $42 on Ebay, SWAT says they theoreticaly work up to 32GB, so I'll be the first Guinea pig for testing this much space on a Dreamcast!

Just keep in mind, this was never meant to run retail games full speed, it is just a pleasent side effect. :lol:

If you want to see our FTP server we have of SDISO's, you can download games now ready to play. Keep in mind though, some games must be renamed first before they can be played by the Dreamshell OS.

http://www.dc-swat.ru/forum/thread-1440.html
Last edited by Anthony817 on Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

Anthony817 wrote: FULL GDROM RIPS FROM THE SD CARD! :mrgreen:

My Reaction
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Xelyx
32-bit

Post by Xelyx »

Upsidedown Fuji wrote:I own a lot of DC games already but it would be cool to just load them off an external device. I hope it continues to get refined. It would be cool to have a plug n play solution for running backup software. :)

Like a way of attaching an external HDD? Or would that work?