Super Mario 3 or Super Mario World?

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!

Which is better?

Super Mario Bros 3.
39%
Super Mario World
39%
Both are equally great
22%

Total votes: 128

Josh
64-bit

Re: Super Mario 3 or Super Mario World?

Post by Josh »

I prefer SMW, though I'm biased because I grew up around it.

I prefer the HUD in SMW, by which, I mean there's not much of one. I like that you can keep an item in storage. (Which I think having one item to use during the level instead of having ~34 Starmen in storage for the world map.)

The hacking community is also strong, but for the actual game, I feel like I've spent more time with it, know everything about it, and just have more of a nostalgic value with it.
Collects promo gaming stuff, certain import games, hockey memorabilia, and other oddball things. (sig and avy under construction)
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Mario 3 did have the single greatest power up every in a Mario Game: Kuribo's Shoe. One of these days Miyamoto is going to bring it back, and it will be epic.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

Ziggy587 wrote:So I guess I'm the only way to vote "both are equally great".

Maybe if SMB3 had a save function and would let you replay levels (like SMW) then it could be a completely different story.

Oh yeah... YOU WATCH YOUR FUCKING MOUTH! ...if anybody can get that reference.

My feelings ,if the NES version could save it would be a much closer choice, Mario World is the better game, SMB3 is amazing for the system it is on.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

World is a Mario game perfected.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

I could swear I read somewhere that Miyamoto himself was a bit dissapointed by Super Mario World. Honestly, I don't see how people can put it on the same level as SMB3. It wasn't nearly as interesting. Much as I did enjoy Super Mario World, I felt it lost some of the series magic. And I didn't enjoy Mario 64 at all. I had a lot more fun with Conker's Bad Fur Day and Mischief Makers, two games that simply kick Mario 64's ass
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

Arrrggggg.....

I grew up more with SMB3... but, the build up to the Super Famicom, then the Super Nintendo and Super Mario Bros. 4 was HUGE for me. Of course the build up to SMB3 was also insane. I played it on a Famicom cart via a converter on an NES quite a while before it was released and loved it. The big Nintendo Power strategy guide, coverage galore, The Wizard... SMB3 was simply wonderful. The perfect NES game.

Then, as I said, came the screen shots from SMB4... WOW! Blew me away. I got to play the Super Famicom version, now called "World" with 4 just as a subtitle, a bit in a shop and was floored. Finally, the SNES came out and I got some real time with it (they dropped the "4"... why!?!), was blown away by Sonic and bought a Genesis, played SMW to death on different friend's SNES systems (getting all 96 levels clear and was better at it than most of my friends), and finally got my own copy a few years later. I absolutely love SMW. It just feels more polished than SMB3 to me, despite now having as many crazy secrets and whatever Miyamoto says.

Both games really are 11/10. For me, I think I prefer playing around on SMW... but they are very much equal in my sight. They are the absolute pinnacle of platform gaming.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

Breetai wrote:Arrrggggg.....

I grew up more with SMB3... but, the build up to the Super Famicom, then the Super Nintendo and Super Mario Bros. 4 was HUGE for me. Of course the build up to SMB3 was also insane. I played it on a Famicom cart via a converter on an NES quite a while before it was released and loved it. The big Nintendo Power strategy guide, coverage galore, The Wizard... SMB3 was simply wonderful. The perfect NES game.

Then, as I said, came the screen shots from SMB4... WOW! Blew me away. I got to play the Super Famicom version, now called "World" with 4 just as a subtitle, a bit in a shop and was floored. Finally, the SNES came out and I got some real time with it (they dropped the "4"... why!?!), was blown away by Sonic and bought a Genesis, played SMW to death on different friend's SNES systems (getting all 96 levels clear and was better at it than most of my friends), and finally got my own copy a few years later. I absolutely love SMW. It just feels more polished than SMB3 to me, despite now having as many crazy secrets and whatever Miyamoto says.

Both games really are 11/10. For me, I think I prefer playing around on SMW... but they are very much equal in my sight. They are the absolute pinnacle of platform gaming.

I love stories like this, just wanted to say that was a pleasure of a short read.
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

emwearz wrote:I love stories like this, just wanted to say that was a pleasure of a short read.

I use too many commas... How's your Saturn going, by the way? Still working well?
Flake

Post by Flake »

They are both great games but I sometimes think they receive more acclaim and attention than they deserve.

That said, Super Mario Bros 3 is more enjoyable to me than Super Mario World. It just felt more wacky and epic.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
benderx
Next-Gen

Post by benderx »

Super Mario Bros 3. was truly the must have game for a kid in the 90's. Its still great. Shigeru Miyamoto was the director of SMB3 and not Super mario world world1 and 2 only as a producer. He didn't make that many director snes games.

Super Mario Bros. 3 video game US commercial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQO2VtV1PNg

Super Mario 3 Japanese Commercial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekhVQuNjxNQ

Super Mario Advance 4 Super Mario Bros. 3 USA Commercial 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf2SK4_NDhE
You took too long, now your candy's gone. That's What happens. Bkowwwww. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)