Steve Wiebe regains Donkey Kong Jr. record

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
emwearz
Next-Gen

Re: Steve Wiebe regains Donkey Kong Jr. record

Post by emwearz »

I have to agree with fastbilly1, the character of Billy Mitchell did look like an asshole and a prat, but the man has done some pretty amazing gaming firsts, and besides he makes hot sauce, shot some respect for that point alone.

On a brighter note, awesome that he got his record back, more for the fact its awesome to see progression in arcade games, regardless of who it was from.
SplashChick
64-bit

Post by SplashChick »

fastbilly1 wrote:You would do the same if you held an important record. Granted it was taken in 2000 by Tim Sczerby, before Wiebe even entered the picture, and sources have stated that Billy started working on it after Tim took it. Funny how the documentary completely left out that. Wiebe also held the record for three years before Mitchell even staged a comeback. The rumors Ive heard were that Mitchell was actually baited back - but those are still unfounded currently. Neither of their professions have anything to do with this. Hell one of the best Qbert players was an unemployed grandmother, while another was an iron worker.

Im not trying to say Mitchell is a saint, I mean he could be a dick, Ive not met the man. Went I was last in Hollywood Florida I was unaware that is where his restaurant is. But basing your opinion of him on a terribly bias film is poor form. From what Ive been told from people who have met Wiebe, he is a bit of an ass himself. But since I havent met the man I wont say that about him.

A wise friend of mine said something very applicable here:
And the true lesson to come away from this is that Tournament (and Record Achieving) Gamers are usually dicks on some level

You must have never played competitive Smash. Melee tournaments hosted the friendliest gaming communities I've ever been a part of. Yeah, some people are a little full of themselves, but the ones who get called dicks like Billy does here always do things that make them stand out above the rest. Ken of Melee fame was a fucking dick for the way he treated some of his rivals in live tournament settings. Justin Wong is a fucking dick for similar actions. Yeah, we may not know them, and they may not ALWAYS be total dickwads, but the fact remains that they did what they did and that makes them fucking dicks.
I blog about games and art. Usually both at once. Check it out at your own risk.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I've never actually seen a real live video game contest.
SplashChick
64-bit

Post by SplashChick »

noiseredux wrote:I've never actually seen a real live video game contest.

Melee tournaments are pretty much the best thing ever.
I blog about games and art. Usually both at once. Check it out at your own risk.
jfe2
Next-Gen

Post by jfe2 »

I didn't post this earlier, but Donkey Kong Jr. was one of first games I ever played. My parents had it, for what I am assuming was an Intellivision, back when I was maybe four or five years old.

I tried to play it recently, but its hard as balls! I can make it to the third level before getting my ass handed to me on a plate.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

SplashChick wrote:You must have never played competitive Smash. Melee tournaments hosted the friendliest gaming communities I've ever been a part of.

Actually I stopped playing console tournaments shortly after Melee took off (03). I played in some PC ones since then (Mostly Unreal Tournament variations) but stopped competing completely in 05. Ive played in one since which was Team Fortress Classic and we mostly played to have fun (the guys running it needed one more team to fill out the bracket) - the entire team went random the entire time till we got to the quarter finals.

My console game of choice was Goldeneye followed by Mario Kart 64 and Marvel vs Capcom. Halo 1 later replaced Goldeneye on the circuits. When everyone swapped over to Halo 2, Melee, a Project Gotham/Burnout, well I just hopped out. I didnt have enough time to learn all the new games - at the time I was in college and working atleast one fulltime job. Melee I played in half a dozen tournaments for but realized that the money wasnt there for me - I was only good, I wasnt amazing like most of the people on the scene then.

All that said, recently Ive been trying to beat the Ms Pacman World record. But I have trouble once I hit 500k in that I just get bored. The record is 933k and old Billy is sitting pretty at 700k.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

freakin' fast. That's awesome man.

sidenote: I suck at Melee.
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

Post by gtmtnbiker »

jfe2 wrote:I didn't post this earlier, but Donkey Kong Jr. was one of first games I ever played. My parents had it, for what I am assuming was an Intellivision, back when I was maybe four or five years old.

I was going to say that you were wrong and must have been on colecovision. I checked the wikipedia and it was available on a bunch of platforms. I just don't remember it being available for the intellivision.

At that time (early 80s), I remember Colecovision having the best Donkey Kong version.
Merz
24-bit

Post by Merz »

SplashChick wrote:

I went to ONE. 2v2 my friend and I whipped everyone and the nerds never stopped whining. I still can't forget the nasally sound of "NOOOOOOOO ILEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEMS!!!!!!"
I've got my crown and I've got my scepter.
SplashChick
64-bit

Post by SplashChick »

Merz wrote:
SplashChick wrote:

I went to ONE. 2v2 my friend and I whipped everyone and the nerds never stopped whining. I still can't forget the nasally sound of "NOOOOOOOO ILEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEMS!!!!!!"

You went to a shit scrub tournament. I'm talking about real tournaments hosted by people who actually give a shit about the game, not corporate directed game store publicity tricks.