Anyone still buy Dreamcast games?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

americankgb wrote:I don't actually own a dreamcast at the moment, but i'm going to pick one up soon just for the fact that their or so many shooters out for it. I really wanna try out that one that drops in Februrary but alas I don't remember the name.

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2006/11/ ... r-new.html

And I'd suggest you go for the others while waiting for this one. It's supposed to be fairly mediocre. I suggest Ikaruga, Under Defeat, Psyvariar 2, and possibly Border Down.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Mozgus wrote:
americankgb wrote:I don't actually own a dreamcast at the moment, but i'm going to pick one up soon just for the fact that their or so many shooters out for it. I really wanna try out that one that drops in Februrary but alas I don't remember the name.

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2006/11/ ... r-new.html

And I'd suggest you go for the others while waiting for this one. It's supposed to be fairly mediocre. I suggest Ikaruga, Under Defeat, Psyvariar 2, and possibly Border Down.

Personally, this one looks cooler than Border Down.
The whole throwing opponents thing seems cool.

Border Down didn't thrill me.
americankgb
16-bit

Post by americankgb »

I actually own the gamecube version of Ikaruga which sparked my passion for shot em ups. Once I get a dreamcast ii'll definitely check those games out. Until that time though I'll continue to get my shmup fix playing dondonpachi, gigawing and gunbird on mame. I'm going to try and pick one up this weekend at a local used gameshop. Hopefully my quest will prove fruitful.
alexkidd
24-bit

final days

Post by alexkidd »

man, DC games were so cheap in their final days at places like Walmart. Even the newer titles were $20 and older games could be had new for 5-10 all over the place. Usually a system has some crap games toward the end, but with DC and Saturn there was LOTS of quality and few trashy games at the end.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Re: final days

Post by Mozgus »

walrus12 wrote:man, DC games were so cheap in their final days at places like Walmart. Even the newer titles were $20 and older games could be had new for 5-10 all over the place. Usually a system has some crap games toward the end, but with DC and Saturn there was LOTS of quality and few trashy games at the end.

Because the system was pretty much killed off at it's peak. Keep in mind that there were a good dozen promissing titles which looked 80% completed or better, and they were canceled or moved to PS2 as soon as Sega announced they were killing the DC. God I hated that day. I wish they would have just kept their mouths shut. We might have had a bugless version of Half Life, for one thing...
Zalphier
24-bit

Post by Zalphier »

I haven't found any bugs in Half life gold(dc)
The only problem I had was the long(and frequent) load times. Perhaps if given more time, the finished product would have been great( though the port was pretty good IMO) as for still buying dreamcast games, it depends. I try to get backups of games that I don't have, then when I find the title, I'll probably pick it up.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Zalphier wrote:I haven't found any bugs in Half life gold(dc)
The only problem I had was the long(and frequent) load times. Perhaps if given more time, the finished product would have been great( though the port was pretty good IMO) as for still buying dreamcast games, it depends. I try to get backups of games that I don't have, then when I find the title, I'll probably pick it up.

Yeah the game just doesn't have the same effect when you have to stop and load all the time.

"Ok, this thing is coming after me and all I have is this crowba.... LOADING .... ar."
racketboy
Site Admin

Re: final days

Post by racketboy »

Mozgus wrote:
walrus12 wrote:man, DC games were so cheap in their final days at places like Walmart. Even the newer titles were $20 and older games could be had new for 5-10 all over the place. Usually a system has some crap games toward the end, but with DC and Saturn there was LOTS of quality and few trashy games at the end.

Because the system was pretty much killed off at it's peak. Keep in mind that there were a good dozen promissing titles which looked 80% completed or better, and they were canceled or moved to PS2 as soon as Sega announced they were killing the DC. God I hated that day. I wish they would have just kept their mouths shut. We might have had a bugless version of Half Life, for one thing...

I bought some great stuff at the end.
Last Blade 2
Fatal Fury Mark of the Wolves
Unreal Tournement
and more
all pretty cheap.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Zalphier wrote:I haven't found any bugs in Half life gold(dc)

I used to know where to find a big list of all the bugs, but this was back when the game was first leaked.

The main bug I remember hating was the save file. It becomes absolutely gigantic just a few hours into the story, and it eventually became larger than 200 blocks, which meant that I could not save my progress anymore. So I stopped playing.
americankgb
16-bit

Post by americankgb »

I'm getting dreamcast tuesday. Wooot!