List Games That You Think Are Hidden Gems For The Genesis/MD

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
alexkidd
24-bit

good list

Post by alexkidd »

Great lists, it's basically a "what to play" guide. The only things I'd add for sure would be Gaires to the shooters and Tyrants to the strategy.

I would keep everything you've got though, like you said, you can't do a hidden gems for the ultra hard core because it would be very sparse and almost purely imports. For example Dynamite Heady is nothing new to me, but my younger 14 year old cousin going through games on an emulator for the first time probably has no clue what it is or who made it, compared to Phantasy Star, Sonic, Shining games, he's heard of from newer system releases.

racketboy wrote:Ok, here's the list:
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2007/01/ ... -sega.html

Lemme know what you think.
I'm sure there are still some to add...
lordofduct
Next-Gen

Post by lordofduct »

You've listed some of my top favourite games on the Genny... and the resulting reason why I loved mine over the SNES.

Herzog Zwei
General Chaos
Sub-Terrania (actually my cell-phone's ring tone is from this game!!!)
Shadowrun
Landstalker

I'm surprised no one said Kid Chameleon... or is it not the hidden of a gem.

Don't tell me you think it sucks, because that game rocks!

And what about Gunstar Heroes...

crep I'm gonna shut up now.
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
nightwalker
64-bit

Post by nightwalker »

I second kid chameleon. But come on guys your forgettin Boogerman. Superhero with natural powers. hehe.

Ballz (in a strange way)
Sparkster (second part of rocket knight adventures)
Super Thunder Blade (reason why i bought a genesis in the first place) I remember playing this game in the arcades
Samurai showdown was way better than the snes version (snes had orange blood????)
Every sonic for this console (I think i like them all) including the pinball one
Animaniacs was waaaayyyy better than the snes version
Acme all Stars (tiny toons with special powers...sounds cheesy but hey i still like it)
Cyborg justice
Chakan the forever man
alexkidd
24-bit

KID CHAMELEON!

Post by alexkidd »

Oh man, can't believe I forgot Kid Chameleon, that's one of the first games I think about playing when I fire up an emulator these days. It's one of those games where you know the developers must have been experimenting with substances haha.

lordofduct wrote:You've listed some of my top favourite games on the Genny... and the resulting reason why I loved mine over the SNES.

Herzog Zwei
General Chaos
Sub-Terrania (actually my cell-phone's ring tone is from this game!!!)
Shadowrun
Landstalker

I'm surprised no one said Kid Chameleon... or is it not the hidden of a gem.

And what about Gunstar Heroes...

crep I'm gonna shut up now.
Thello

Post by Thello »

Out of this World

An absolute classic of a puzzle-platformer that frequently goes under appreciated. The atmosphere and the cinematic flair it had were second-to-none at the time, and it still holds up today as a pinnacle of the genre. It's so unfortunate that the Sega CD sequel, Heart of the Alien, was ever made. It concluded the series without Eric Chahi's involvement and it really stinks in comparison.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Thello wrote:Out of this World

An absolute classic of a puzzle-platformer that frequently goes under appreciated. The atmosphere and the cinematic flair it had were second-to-none at the time, and it still holds up today as a pinnacle of the genre. It's so unfortunate that the Sega CD sequel, Heart of the Alien, was ever made. It concluded the series without Eric Chahi's involvement and it really stinks in comparison.

I really like that high rez remake, but I've still never beaten this game.
Jubal
64-bit

Post by Jubal »

Thello wrote:Out of this World

thanks for posting this pic! I had forgotten all about this one
I would agree its a bit under appreciated
I just got a copy off half.com for $1.94 =)

-Jubal-
Zork
32-bit

Post by Zork »

Would you consider both of the Toe Jam and Earl games hidden gems or the Vectorman games. From what I've experienced no one ever really talks or talked about TJ&E at all but the first game was very fun I thought, the second game had a lot more polish to it and was equally fun.

Vectorman is just known for being "failed competition for Donkey Kong" by most and thats it. After that it rarely gets any mention or nods at all.

I felt that both of these game series were a little overlooked or overlooked quite a bit, depends on your perspective on them I guess, but I feel that they were worth mentioning none the less.

What really struck me about both of these games were their overall style (art style, etc) and vibe in general.

Toejam and Earl 2

Toejam and Earl

Vectorman

Didn't post a screen of Vectorman 2 because both games look very similar anyway.
Last edited by Zork on Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
metaleggman
128-bit

Post by metaleggman »

lordofduct wrote:I'm surprised no one said Kid Chameleon... or is it not the hidden of a gem.

Well, I wouldn't say it sucks, but my beef with it was it was really long. I remember playing it for hours and never finishing as a kid when I was addicted to sega smash pack 2 and the sonic PC games.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Zork wrote:Image
Toejam and Earl 2

Fantastic game. I recommend the official soundtrack cd. It has the noteworthy songs performed with great production value while holding the funky attitude.