Which Saturn Games Still Matter?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
SegaVega
24-bit

Post by SegaVega »

Saraph wrote: So really, the Saturn version's would still be superior even with the minimal loading?

I wouldn't say so...the Saturn version has a slight delay during certain moves and is missing a few frames of animation (that's most visible during cross-up recovery, most casual players think there's no problem). Both of those issues were pretty much fixed in the PS2 version. So while neither version is arcade perfect, you'd be pretty safe in calling the PS2 version "gameplay perfect".

The Saturn version also had the "minimal loading" you mentioned. But I guess if that doesn't bother you, than the other things I mentioned shouldn't really either. I don't understand the players who compare and complain about these things in the home versions...especially these later and more capable ones. I think the only players who'd find these faults to be super bad and inexcusable, and who truly need that extra frame or input millisecond are probably the ones still shoving quarters into the coin-op, or own one themselves.

So I suppose it doesn't really matter, both versions are fine for just playing (even with moderate seriousness), but for the "fault-free" Street Fighter ___, the arcade version can't be beat. :)
Dr. J

Post by Dr. J »

Okay, I stand corrected :)

So, Saturn Alpha 2 Gold has extra modes and far snazzier box art. Alpha Anthology Alpha 2 Gold has marginally faster loading times, slightly better graphics, and a pinch more arcade-accurate gameplay. So in the end, they roughly even out. So, does Saturn Alpha 2 still matter? The graphics and gameplay are still superb; I guess it's really a matter of personal preference, like most of the rest of Saturn's 2D fighters.

And I obviously havn't played Hyper Street Fighter 2 enough to know how broken it was. See, I didn't grow up playing Street Fighter 2, I became addicted to Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo long after it was old. Still, you do have a superior port on the Dreamcast, though *disclaimer* I have not played it extensively so for all I know that one could be broken too.

Ah hell, Street Fighter Collection is still spectacular, let's say it still matters :)
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

I haven't had experience with the Alpha Anthology, but otherwise, I've seen the Saturn as superior for Alpha and the Dreamcast superior for SSF2T
Rooster
8-bit

Post by Rooster »

Okay, here is one I just picked up in Den Den town, and while it is not very popular, I feel it should at least be noted.

Nanatsu Kaze No Shima Monogatari, is very interesting. It is a side scrolling RPG by Enix with beautiful hand drawn graphics and meticulous animations. If anything, it just might epitomize 2D gaming as I cannot think of much else that rivals it. (though I am very open to suggestions)

http://www.segagagadomain.com/saturn7/nanatsukaze.htm

This thread causes me to focus on the Saturn's strengths when considering potential titles, and since the Saturn had its roots in 2D, I tickle the idea that the 2D style of gameplay died when the Saturn died ... thus, the greatest 2D accomplishment on the Saturn would remain the greatest accomplishment of that genre today.

I nominate Nanatsu Kaze No Shima Monogatari for its unrivled 2D artisty.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Rooster wrote:Okay, here is one I just picked up in Den Den town, and while it is not very popular, I feel it should at least be noted.

Nanatsu Kaze No Shima Monogatari, is very interesting. It is a side scrolling RPG by Enix with beautiful hand drawn graphics and meticulous animations. If anything, it just might epitomize 2D gaming as I cannot think of much else that rivals it. (though I am very open to suggestions)

http://www.segagagadomain.com/saturn7/nanatsukaze.htm

This thread causes me to focus on the Saturn's strengths when considering potential titles, and since the Saturn had its roots in 2D, I tickle the idea that the 2D style of gameplay died when the Saturn died ... thus, the greatest 2D accomplishment on the Saturn would remain the greatest accomplishment of that genre today.

I nominate Nanatsu Kaze No Shima Monogatari for its unrivled 2D artisty.

Nice find -- I'll have to look into that one...
Stayce

Post by Stayce »

I would have to say that Saturn Alpha 3 is still relevant. I hold Alpha 3 as my favourite Street Fighter, although I do realise many hardcore fans would disagree.
Having recently picked up a copy I have found so far that the Saturn version of Alpha 3 surpasses all other versions I've played thanks not to its faithfulness to the Arcade original (although the quality of the conversion is undeniably impressive), but thanks to its control. The Saturn controller is simply the best basic console controller ever made for 2D beat em ups.
Up until now th easiest way for me to play Alpha 3 was via my PS2 anthology collection using the 15th anniversary controllers. While this is a good set up I found the D-pad on the PS2 controller uncomfortable and difficult to use after extended play sessions. The Saturn's D pad is more comfortable and easier to control precisely, making Saturn Alpha 3 the version I will now be playing.
Besides Alpha 3 I would also hold up almost any of the big hitters from the Saturns Shmup library such as Dodonpachi, Layer Section and Radiant Silvergun, perhaps even Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru as I have played nothing quite like it since.
Finally I would suggest the Saturns rendition of Policenauts as probably the finest version of this particular game that I know of, and a game that like so many other classic adventure titles hasn't aged that badly since the stories make them timeless.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »