What shmup are you playing now?

2D Shooters Invade
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Re: What shmup are you playing now?

Post by SNESdrunk »

noiseredux wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:Gundemonium Recollection

Got it on Steam. Undecided on this one. Cute characters but the game is slow and the spites are way too huge. It also looks like crap in full-screen.

try Hitogata Happa. It's the best of the 3. Super hard. I was proud of myself for 1CC'ing... the first boss.

Ohhh this looks good...
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

I'm playing through the three Super Famicom Parodius games, and uh... there really isn't much of a difference between the first two, is there? It's like the 1st game just kept going. The 3rd game thankfully changes things up a bit (old Japanese men shouting at you will do that), but sadly the slowdown in that one is pretty significant.
Nyukki
128-bit

Post by Nyukki »

scarper wrote:Layer Section

Had a lot of fun with this one when it was shmup of the month.

scarper wrote:DoDonPachi Dai Ou Jou

Same with this one. Only problem with this one is the sound when emulating is really messed up. The load times on the 360 version are atrocious. Almost a valid excuse for buying the PCB.

Recently discovered Akai Katana on the 360. Can imagine myself sinking a lot of time into this one.
Weekend shmupper
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Nanostray (DS)

From the makers of Iridion 3D & Iridion II (GBA). Balls to the wall excitement. Classic graphical perspective with lots of nice modern touches. I got this for 99 cents, the pickup of the year.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Rokogu
24-bit

Post by Rokogu »

ExedExes wrote:Nanostray (DS)

From the makers of Iridion 3D & Iridion II (GBA). Balls to the wall excitement. Classic graphical perspective with lots of nice modern touches. I got this for 99 cents, the pickup of the year.

I remember buying Nanostray when it was new. Really fun, took me alot of practice just to finish the regular "story mode". The sequel is pretty good too!
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Rokogu wrote:I remember buying Nanostray when it was new. Really fun, took me alot of practice just to finish the regular "story mode". The sequel is pretty good too!

Yeah I just found out there's a Nanostray 2 which makes weapons selecting a little less cumbersome. I understand they wanted a touch functionality but I just end up using my thumb instead of the stylus to switch. It might have been better if they used the L-R buttons.

There's just so much going on here, I like the extra challenges that you get after completing the stages. This game definitely reminds me of Axelay and Ikaruga, easily.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Rokogu
24-bit

Post by Rokogu »

ExedExes wrote:
Rokogu wrote:I remember buying Nanostray when it was new. Really fun, took me alot of practice just to finish the regular "story mode". The sequel is pretty good too!

Yeah I just found out there's a Nanostray 2 which makes weapons selecting a little less cumbersome. I understand they wanted a touch functionality but I just end up using my thumb instead of the stylus to switch. It might have been better if they used the L-R buttons.

There's just so much going on here, I like the extra challenges that you get after completing the stages. This game definitely reminds me of Axelay and Ikaruga, easily.

Yeah i know what you mean, I did not like how they implemented the weapon select in the first game. In the sequel you have this little options that follow you arround and you can select 3 predetermined formations for them and cycle through them with L/R button ( if I remember that correctly, haven't played in a long time)
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

So I picked up Score Rush Extended for PS4 - and i'll readily note it's meant as a multiplayer widescreen shmup game but can be played solo - and man, I felt really disappointed that there is literally just one mode - the arcade game. It's a fun bullet hell (with a very tiny hit box) that uses both sticks so its my wheelhouse, but I thought for $9.99 (its been on sale - $2 off since May) it was pretty barren. I'm also a touch bitter that it never recorded my best score - noting it was the (new) score but still showing my old one on the leaderboards...and then it never updated.

Back at it tonight as I'm determined to get more out of this one. There are greater difficulties that can be unlocked, so there is that.
G-Darius
32-bit

Post by G-Darius »

Oldie but goldie as they say, Scramble on my old pc monitor aligned on the wall for those Vertical arcade games on mame. Also tried Gorf, Astro Fighter and Astro Blaster. 8)
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

Don't hate, TATE! 8)