Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Y'all need to man up and play some Virtua Fighter.... for real!!!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I've played nearly every Virtua Fighter release. It's a paltry series compared to Soul Calibur.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Exhuminator wrote:I've played nearly every Virtua Fighter release. It's a paltry series compared to Soul Calibur.

Don't entirely agree with that, but that is perfectly ok. Everyone has their own preference in fighting games.

I always find it funny that most folks boil the genre down in a way that they feel it is all the same. There is tons of nuance and mechanics that are decidedly unique to each series.

People spend hours and hours perfecting their RPG teams and stats to abuse systems yet feel they don't have the time to learn a fighting game. It is a shame!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

marurun

Post by marurun »

Exhuminator wrote:I've played nearly every Virtua Fighter release. It's a paltry series compared to Soul Calibur.

Depends on what you're looking for. Soul Calibur is much flashier and has more variety in characters and moves, but getting precision out of the controls is a lot harder. Soul Calibur games are rarely used in tournaments, for example. Whereas Virtua Fighter is generally meant to be a truly competitive fighting game, with characters very carefully balanced and the control inputs as tight as possible. Virtua Fighter is pretty much the gold standard for 3D fighters. Not always the most impressive, but definitely the most solid.

And the more recent Soul Calibur games have been less interesting in a lot of ways. The series was really strongest with the original release and 2, IMO.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Okay I'll play fair.

Virtua Fighter is a better series from a technical and skill-based level, I can agree with that. I can totally understand how it's good for tournaments. But I find the VF games generally boring aesthetically and not very exciting to play single player.

However the high quality graphics, flashy effects, interesting environments, crazy plot elements, and great single player campaign modes make Soul Calibur games funner to me. Also SC has le sexy female fighters.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I think I would be a lot more likely to play Soul Calibur with my wife or someone not as into games than, say, Virtua Fighter. It's much more accessible, despite the unreliability of some inputs. And I agree that it's tons of fun. I love all the extra modes and unlockables.

Virtua Fighter is just really close to my heart. And despite its technical rigor and how much I love it, I suck at it. Like, I'm just really bad. Never managed to beat a single other human player in the arcades in Japan on VF3. But I still love playing the game. And it's light-years better than Tekken, IMO.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

marurun wrote:I think I would be a lot more likely to play Soul Calibur with my wife or someone not as into games than, say, Virtua Fighter. It's much more accessible, despite the unreliability of some inputs. And I agree that it's tons of fun. I love all the extra modes and unlockables.

Virtua Fighter is just really close to my heart. And despite its technical rigor and how much I love it, I suck at it. Like, I'm just really bad. Never managed to beat a single other human player in the arcades in Japan on VF3. But I still love playing the game. And it's light-years better than Tekken, IMO.

Oh man! I was playing with the pros in online private rooms for vf5 final showdown. Will not say I was as good, but my Pai could put up a fight. Participated in the vfdojo online tournaments tio

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

marurun wrote: And it's light-years better than Tekken, IMO.

I've played a lot of Tekken games and always walked away unimpressed. That said, I still need to give Tekken 7 a chance. (Also that reminds me I haven't played KoF XIV yet.)
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Marurun, did you really just say Soul Calibur doesn't have much of a tournament scene? Knowing multiple Soul Calibur tournament players, including a guy who used tournament winnings to help pay his way through college, I beg to differ.

That said, I like both Soul Calibur and Virtua Fighter and could hold my own against US tournament players in both well enough. They're both great for different reasons.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Ah, well, in that case, I was unaware there was a tournament scene. I never considered the game remotely balanced enough to support dedicated tournament play.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile