What RPG are you playing right now?

Level up here
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Re: What RPG are you playing right now?

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Ha ha, honestly, it was on of those twists that I should have seen coming, but I didnt at all. I can totally see why some might think it was quite silly.

Funny that you mention Xenosaga. I've tried twice to get into that game, and twice I've failed within the first few hours. Thinking about it, I don't know why I was able to stay into Star Ocean, but can't get through Xenosaga. There's nothing about Star Ocean that makes it better in my eyes, but I just have not been able to get through the slow start of Xenosaga.

I think, if anything, its the lack of character development that happens early on. Like I said earlier, thats my main joy in rpgs. I want to care about my characters in some way, even if its hate.

Oddly, I can't say that Star Ocean did this well... it didn't. It was terrible at it... talking about it, that twist, and the gameplay where the only things I liked about the game. Ha. In trying to explain why I like it, I've found that I don't like it as much as I thought :lol:
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

If you can't get through Xenosaga 1-2, just skip to 3. You'll miss out on stuff for sure, though there's a database thing with entries covering absolutely every single detail in the games imaginable, from history to characters, to previous game events, etc everything. You're doing yourself a disservice by not playing that one, probably my favorite JRPG on the PS2 next to Suikoden V. In a lot of ways I think Xenosaga 3 had a better final stretch than Xenogears as well, even though I'd say Xenogears is better overall, but Xenosaga 3 was damn good.

I guess that's for BOTH of you. :lol: ... damn that game was awesome.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I'll definitely check it out. I want to at least get through 1 before playing 3, and I already have it, so I may try after Lost Odyssey.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Lost Odyssey is a decent excuse. 8)
decenttyler

Post by decenttyler »

Final Fantasy XIII (2nd play through)
Parasite Eve (end of day 3)
Mass Effect 2 (not too far in)
Star Ocean: First Departure (just started)

Usually I don't play through 4 RPGs at once, but I just bought a huge lot recently so I'm trying to get through as many as possible without confusion. I'll probably take a break from Final Fantasy XIII for awhile. I'll probably finish it after the first major price drop on XIII-2.
SwooshBear
Next-Gen

Post by SwooshBear »

I really need to finish LTTP but I got Chrono Trigger for Christmas and it's fantastic. I've barely started but I really enjoy it.
Incognito D wrote:Mere months after buying my original GBA, Nintendo trolled me hard by releasing the SP.

Check me out on twitter: SwooshBear742
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

decenttyler wrote:Final Fantasy XIII (2nd play through)

We don't take kindly to your types around here.
decenttyler

Post by decenttyler »

brunoafh wrote:

I realize that. It is a big time hit or miss game. I'm not afraid to show people that I enjoy it, there is no reason to hate over game preferences!
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

brunoafh wrote:

FFXIII was good. Your image is more appropriately applied to calling Zelda an RPG.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

brunoafh wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:Star Ocean: Second Evolution for PSP. This is a series I never got into when it first hit the US in the PS1 days and to be honest I'm not exactly enjoying this one. I've only played about 2 hours but most everything was extremely tedious dialogue and cut scenes. Something better change soon or I'm done with this one.

I personally enjoyed the original Star Ocean much more. As with any RPG you ought to give it more than 2 hours before writing it off though. Some of my all time favorite RPGs start off painfully slow.

Welllll........................

I gave it another shot, I'm about 7 and a half hours in. It's getting better, though I can't find much use for the skill creation yet. Most of the regular battles I can win easily through mashing X, and the bosses have been a joke so far. I did get destroyed once, as I wandered a little two far from the town I had just arrived in. Should have expected that type of thing from an Enix game. :lol:

I think I'll try to finish this one after all.